Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Atlanta Season 3

Started by Ja'moke, March 25, 2022, 10:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Atlanta is finally back after years! The first two episodes of Season 3 aired on FX last night.

Two incredible episodes. There really is no other show quite like it.

Noodle Lizard

Oh good! Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea Season 3 was even underway, I assumed it had quietly been dropped. Seems as though there's a fourth season commissioned already.

Mister Six

Yeah they commissioned 3 and 4 together when 2 came out, I think, but they're smart enough to just let Glover do it at his own pace.

Excited to watch this, although my PC has packed in, so unless it's on Hulu, I'll have to wait till I can get torrents up and running again.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 26, 2022, 12:12:40 AMOh good! Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea Season 3 was even underway, I assumed it had quietly been dropped. Seems as though there's a fourth season commissioned already.

Yep, Season 3 and 4 are both filmed. And then that's it. But Donald Glover is working on a new show for Amazon.

up_the_hampipe

I was looking forward to this but I almost forgot just how fucking great it is. The first episode was brutal, based on this story if anyone didn't know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_family_murders

The second episode was hilarious. Agreed that there is nothing like it currently, so bizarre but when the jokes hit they really hit hard.

Noodle Lizard

Just watched the first episode and loved it. I haven't rewatched most of Atlanta since the second season aired, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are we supposed to know any of the characters in that episode? Is the boy meant to be related to anyone else in the show, or is it all just a self-contained dream?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 26, 2022, 02:49:43 AMThe first episode was brutal, based on this story if anyone didn't know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_family_murders

Fucking hell, I had not heard about this. That's horrific.

AsparagusTrevor

Was hoping this would pop up on Disney+ but no sign of it sadly. Now to decide whether to resist the temptation to torrent or just be patient.

Johnny Yesno

The first two seasons were broadcast on BBC2, so I'm really hoping the same will happen with this season.

That episode with the invisible car is hilarious.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 26, 2022, 02:49:43 AMI was looking forward to this but I almost forgot just how fucking great it is. The first episode was brutal, based on this story if anyone didn't know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_family_murders

Good grief. The anniversary is today.

phantom_power

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on March 26, 2022, 08:14:21 AMWas hoping this would pop up on Disney+ but no sign of it sadly. Now to decide whether to resist the temptation to torrent or just be patient.

I think they will be coming to Disney+ but not sure when

Ja'moke

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 26, 2022, 04:46:12 AMJust watched the first episode and loved it. I haven't rewatched most of Atlanta since the second season aired, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are we supposed to know any of the characters in that episode? Is the boy meant to be related to anyone else in the show, or is it all just a self-contained dream?

I don't think they were related to any of the main characters. Just a self-contained thing.

neveragain

I've only seen two episodes of this show (Teddy Perkins and the talk show one with commercials) but they've both impressed me greatly and I keep meaning to watch it all. But... isn't "it was all a dream" a bit of a weak ending? Or is there something I'm missing?

Ja'moke

I think the "dream" thing was just a way to connect it back to the main characters. Rather than it been used like a "twist."

neveragain

SteveDave

Fuckinell, I was weeping in the
Spoiler alert
euthanasia
[close]
scene until those buzzers went off and then the
Spoiler alert
canopy asphyxiated Tupac
[close]

Noodle Lizard

I'm up to episode 3, still going strong! It's so refreshingly unusual. Episode 3 felt a little unfocused, perhaps because I feel like Atlanta already covered some of its elements (
Spoiler alert
weird rich parties and eccentric millionaires/billionaires
[close]
) in two episodes from last season, but it was still a pleasure to watch. I love that it seems to be taking its time with each character rather than hurtling from plot point to plot point; I'd be more than happy to spend an entire season with them in different unusual circumstances, hurtling nowhere in particular. Van feels perhaps a little underutilised, but I'm assuming that'll change as it goes on.

One observation about episode 3: the billionaire spoke with a clear South African accent, I thought. I think it's a British actor, so it must have been a conscious choice, but I don't think it was ever addressed despite the "white guilt" themes that surfaced later on in the episode. Curious to know your thoughts about that.

steveh

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 26, 2022, 09:49:53 AMThe first two seasons were broadcast on BBC2, so I'm really hoping the same will happen with this season.

The BBC's deal with FX expired, which along with the closure of the Fox channel in the UK means the only place to watch FX shows now is Disney+.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: steveh on April 05, 2022, 09:09:15 AMThe BBC's deal with FX expired, which along with the closure of the Fox channel in the UK means the only place to watch FX shows now is Disney+.

There's still a few that Netflix are clinging onto, Always Sunny, Archer, for example.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: steveh on April 05, 2022, 09:09:15 AMThe BBC's deal with FX expired, which along with the closure of the Fox channel in the UK means the only place to watch FX shows now is Disney+.

Bah! :-(

up_the_hampipe

Donald Glover's interview with himself is... something https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/donald-glover-interviews-donald-glover

He might be doing this just to mess with people, and in a way you've got to hope that's the case.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 08, 2022, 12:31:06 PMDonald Glover's interview with himself is... something https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/donald-glover-interviews-donald-glover

He might be doing this just to mess with people, and in a way you've got to hope that's the case.

Of course he is!

I've been laughing at the episode descriptions for this season too:

up_the_hampipe

I've heard ep 4 being described as Get Out for white folks, which is pretty good. Enjoyed it though.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 08, 2022, 07:59:01 PMOf course he is!

Well, if he's just trolling then he's been committing to this bit for almost a decade now. I'd like to know the story behind what happened with Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Ja'moke

Hmm not a big fan of this week's episode. The concept was sort of interesting but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because we've had a stand-alone episode this season already and I want to spend more time with the OG characters.

selectivememory

Might be in the minority, but so far I definitely have enjoyed the stand-alone episodes more than the ones following the usual characters. Two excellent little short films.

SteveDave

It was a long, hard slog with White Doug for a great final shot.

fucking ponderous

Latest episode was v KAFKAESQUE. Laid bare the worst nightmare of a certain type of white liberal American. I'm excited to see if these standalone episodes are going somewhere, as
Spoiler alert
the man who shot himself at the pool is the same actor (same character?) as the white guy in the boat in this season's very first scene. That and he shares a name with Glover's character, which is definitely deliberate.
[close]

13 schoolyards

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 08, 2022, 08:12:21 PMWell, if he's just trolling then he's been committing to this bit for almost a decade now. I'd like to know the story behind what happened with Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

"Creative differences" seems pretty legit when you're talking about two creators who can easily get their own solo projects up. Them doing Mr & Mrs Smith together sounded like a great idea, but how many TV series are there where you have two separately established creatives (both as writers and actors) coming together to work as equals? Unless they were both on exactly the same page at every stage there's not a lot preventing one from saying "I don't need this", which seems to have been what happened.

Put another way, I reckon Glover would be pretty tough to work with unless you were 100% willing to go along with him, and I'm a lot less interested in a Mr & Mr Smith that's run solely by him.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: fucking ponderous on April 10, 2022, 04:06:07 AMLatest episode was v KAFKAESQUE. Laid bare the worst nightmare of a certain type of white liberal American. I'm excited to see if these standalone episodes are going somewhere, as
Spoiler alert
the man who shot himself at the pool is the same actor (same character?) as the white guy in the boat in this season's very first scene. That and he shares a name with Glover's character, which is definitely deliberate.
[close]

Ah I didn't realise the spoilered part. That makes it more interesting, and I hope it'll tie together. In and of itself, this episode felt a bit Black Mirror. Maybe a bit reductive to say that - obviously BM didn't invent speculative fiction - but I didn't really feel like I was watching Atlanta anymore, unlike the first standalone.

up_the_hampipe

Great/infuriating (on purpose) episode this week. Certainly prefer the episodes that are about Earn and the crew. The lad who played Wiley was very good.