Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls Series 3

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 05, 2022, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The third and last series of Derry Girls begins on April 12th on Channel 4 at 9:15pm, according to Bristol Live.

Looking forward to this, though a shame it is the last series. Still, I think there is only so much they can do with the characters and you don't want to stretch a show out too much otherwise you get "wacky" characters added in like in the US office, the one Catherine Tate played etc.

Do wonder how many comedies as good as Derry Girls Channel 4 will commission once it gets sold off.

Pink Gregory

I really loved Derry Girls but it's not imprinted on my mind like e.g. This Country has, probably something to do with having to piss about on the computer with sign ins and adverts to watch it.

Has it been considered a big success?  I hope so.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 05, 2022, 02:46:09 PMDo wonder how many comedies as good as Derry Girls Channel 4 will commission once it gets sold off.

Almost certainly none. It'll be wall to wall lifestyle and reality shows. I know you could argue that it already is, but that's not strictly true. It still commissions good dramas, comedies and documentaries. And then there's Channel 4 News, Dispatches and Unreported World, of course. Quality journalism. That will all be gone soon.

Anyway. Derry Girls. It's good.

dead-ced-dead

The finale of season 2 lives rent free in my head.

James' declaration of sisterhood, walking off hand-in-hand as Bill Clinton's speech plays out. I'm not usually a sentimental sort, but that just cut through me.

I think it's especially because Michelle let her guard down around James finally, making it all the more of a heartstring tugger

So, yes, I'm very excited for this.

PlanktonSideburns

Also pumped for this series, really warmly written, but fucking funny also, doesn't pull its punches on the harshness of family life, brilliant performances from the whole cast also

paruses

Great. Seems like an age since the last series. I hope the cast aren't like the 90210 lot by now creaking around pretending to be 16.

For some reason I thought it got shouted down on here before - maybe it was just being pedantic with how the timeline doesn't really track.

Anyhow - looking forward to this.

danwho9

This'll be great. At least I really hope it will.

I've seen the first episode. Just as charming and funny as before. And that's my preview.

PlanktonSideburns

Malcy

Finally got round to this and watched both series since last night and I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow night and hoping they will all be available in All4. Can't be doing with an episode a week.

Brilliant series. Great humour.

"I'm a Derry Girl! I'm a Derry Girl"

"You're a fucking prick is what you are"!

I put it off for a long time but glad I just decided to watch it.

Retinend

We're hyped for this in our household. It seems like ages since series 2.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Retinend on April 12, 2022, 06:05:21 AMWe're hyped for this in our household. It seems like ages since series 2.

It is. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I do slightly worry that there's going to be an element of "Why are these obviously much older women playing schoolgirls?" to it.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 12, 2022, 09:44:49 AMIt is. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I do slightly worry that there's going to be an element of "Why are these obviously much older women playing schoolgirls?" to it.
Spoiler alert
Nicola Coughlan (Clare) is 35, Saoirse-Monica Jackson (Erin) is 28, and a couple of the others are about 30, so they were well over-age when it began in 2018. They're not the most egregious fake teens on TV though.
[close]

Malcy

Looking like the whole series will be available from later tonight. Can't stand using All4 so hopefully rips will be out by tomorrow!

JesusAndYourBush

It didn't disappoint, but this Hullraisers thing that's on after it is abysmal.

I wouldn't go that far. It's light on laughs, but fairly likeable. Faint praise, I know.

I'm talking about Hullraisers, not Derry Girls, obviously.

dead-ced-dead

A really funny first episode of the seasons. One quite lovely observation:

Spoiler alert
James is now fully integrated into the group. He's no longer the awkward fifth wheel he was in the first season or pushing back as he was in the second season (until he took Erin to the prom).

Sometimes sitcom continuity is lacking, and after the heartwarming "I AM A DERRY GIRL" final in season two, i was worried that wouldn't stick, but it did: no one called him "The wee English fella" once, and when people addressed the group they just called them "girls" or "the girls". He now truly is a fully fledged Derry girl.
[close]

Gurke and Hare

That's all true, but
Spoiler alert
James's confusion at not being read his rights was a great touch.
[close]

That was great, both funny and really well plotted. So much to love about this show. The nun is obviously Greg Davies's character from The Inbetweeners, but it's a good gimmick so that's fine.

I think I might've mentioned this in the series two thread, but the performances in this show are just something else. Especially as (I don't think) the main cast don't have a comedy background.

So good to have this back. I've always thought the plots have been weak, but it doesn't really matter when it's packed full of great lines delivered by brilliant performers.

Spoiler alert
I thought they milked the Liam Neeson cameo, but it was all worth it for the Uncle Colm payoff. Great stuff.
[close]

Malcy

This is worth a watch as well. Written by Lisa McGee and starring Saoirse Monica Jackson who plays Erin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0bmv8zc/skint-series-1-1-id-like-to-speak-to-the-manager

Des Wigwam

Just watched this. They haven't dropped all the episodes on All4 which is probably a good thing as I won't binge it and end up tuning it out.

Thought the first half was a bit slow but really picked up in the second. The cameo got better. Is it a cameo if he plays a whole scene in a specific role? Guest star is probably a better word. I didn't think it was necessary and took me out of it for a minute but it worked out well in the end.

Did the actor who plays Sister Michael (I enjoyed that joke) knacker her leg in real life? Have a feeling that's why she missed presenting the first half of Great Pottery Throwdown (and then weirdly took over halfway through).

Quite enjoyed the sound track for its nostalgia but, a bit like The Curse, it shouts Don't Forget This Is The 90s.

Very good. Looking forward to the rest.

Jockice

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 12, 2022, 09:54:26 PMIt didn't disappoint, but this Hullraisers thing that's on after it is abysmal.

What the fuck was that all about? I'll give it another go next week just out of charity though.

Unlike everyone else on here I didn't think last night's DG episode was brilliant. It was ok I suppose but nowhere near its best as far as I'm concerned.

Malcy

Quote from: Jockice on April 13, 2022, 08:34:41 PMWhat the fuck was that all about? I'll give it another go next week just out of charity though.

Unlike everyone else on here I didn't think last night's DG episode was brilliant. It was ok I suppose but nowhere near its best as far as I'm concerned.

I thought it was only OK. Didn't know if that was due to me watching all of it in the day or two before and having fatigue or not but although good didn't think it was brilliant by any means and was quite reliant on the cameo scene. Which was good but didn't require it.

Des Wigwam

Do you mean all of Derry Girls @Malcy?

I have watched 2.5 eps of Hullraisers. It's fine. Reminds me very much of something else I can't place though. I also like seeing Hull as I lived there for quite a long time. I don't think hey have the accents quite right though.

Malcy

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 13, 2022, 09:11:14 PMDo you mean all of Derry Girls @Malcy?

I have watched 2.5 eps of Hullraisers. It's fine. Reminds me very much of something else I can't place though. I also like seeing Hull as I lived there for quite a long time. I don't think hey have the accents quite right though.

Yeah Derry Girls. Haven't checked out Hullraisers yet but a bit disappointed DG isn't all available. I suppose it's because I had hoped to see the whole thing over the space of a few days and now have to watch the last 6 over several weeks!

Malcy

Also, did anyone else think that Erin's mam was played by Nina Wadia? This pic doesn't quite do it justice but there is definitely a show where Nina had similar hair and glasses. It toom me a while to be convinced it wasn't her!

I hope people can see that, right pain in the arse posting pics at times since the forum update.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 13, 2022, 08:11:53 PMDid the actor who plays Sister Michael (I enjoyed that joke) knacker her leg in real life? Have a feeling that's why she missed presenting the first half of Great Pottery Throwdown (and then weirdly took over halfway through).
Siobhan McSweeney broke her leg last summer (apparently while filming Holding, an adaptation of Graham Norton's novel (he also makes wine, he truly does everything)), missing most of Throwdown and spending the rest on crutches. (I think Derry Girls must have been filmed after Throwdown, Derry Girls filming reportedly started in October.)

Anyway, first episode lots of fun. Neeson fitted in quite well: I like how a lot of the older actors underplay, notably Ian McElhinney as the grandfather. It's definitely not one of those comedies where everybody is manic/hysterical, which makes the actually hysterical characters work better.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 13, 2022, 09:11:14 PMDo you mean all of Derry Girls @Malcy?

Just watching the first episode of Hullraisers. I'm from Hull, so it's fun seeing my city on TV.

But yeah, only the main actress sounds like she's actually from Hull.

Retinend

I loved the first episode. It really made me laugh. Them giving away the computer equipment to "Hans", and their slow realisation of what had happened was classic sitcom stuff. Liam Neeson in the next scene was hilarious as the straight man. The main cast were superb as always - each one is so well defined as part of the group dynamic that it feels as if they could put them in any situation and it would always play out in a funny way.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Retinend on April 16, 2022, 07:27:15 AMThe main cast were superb as always - each one is so well defined as part of the group dynamic that it feels as if they could put them in any situation and it would always play out in a funny way.

This is indicative of its strengths at the most basic level, I think.  It's properly a comedy of characters and personalities, rather than situations.

All of the situations they find themselves in are fairly mundane - a funeral, a school trip, going to a concert - and even the slightly more outlandish points like unwittingly smuggling an IRA soldier through the British Army checkpoint don't require a massive suspension of disbelief.