Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls Series 3

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 05, 2022, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Thought that was a bit flat to be honest. Also, didn't anyone else think that Her Who Looks Like A Sexy Version of Plug From The Bash Street Kids Plays Erin and Her Who Plays The Other Blonde One were ramping up the overacting a bit?

JesusAndYourBush

Yes I did notice the overacting, especially some of the facial expressions verging on gurning which seemed a bit OTT.

Des Wigwam

Yea - thought Erin, Clare, and Orlaith were all turned up too loud in the first half at least - and the first 5 mins of Clare freaking out were way too much. It was a bit like they'd not quite remembered the characters so compensated with the more obvious traits. Thought Michelle was great though and just picked up where she left off. Ditto James but he's a much quieter character anyway.

danwho9

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 16, 2022, 07:38:49 PMYea - thought Erin, Clare, and Orlaith were all turned up too loud in the first half at least - and the first 5 mins of Clare freaking out were way too much. It was a bit like they'd not quite remembered the characters so compensated with the more obvious traits. Thought Michelle was great though and just picked up where she left off. Ditto James but he's a much quieter character anyway.

Ideal, he was always the least funny imo.

Virgo76

Quote from: paruses on April 05, 2022, 09:23:23 PMGreat. Seems like an age since the last series. I hope the cast aren't like the 90210 lot by now creaking around pretending to be 16.

For some reason I thought it got shouted down on here before - maybe it was just being pedantic with how the timeline doesn't really track.

Anyhow - looking forward to this.
Great stuff.
The chronology is a bit off though, isn't it?
They've just done their GCSEs. So they're 16? In 1997? So how old were they before? Were they supposed to be 13 in the first series? Or are they always the same age like The Simpsons?

Virgo76

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 13, 2022, 12:18:05 AMThat's all true, but
Spoiler alert
James's confusion at not being read his rights was a great touch.
[close]

That was great, both funny and really well plotted. So much to love about this show. The nun is obviously Greg Davies's character from The Inbetweeners, but it's a good gimmick so that's fine.
She isn't. Siobhan McSweeney is the best thing in it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I also thought the leads were over the top and I don't remember it being like that before. I know teenagers make mountains out of every molehill and being arrested is a genuinely serious situation, but it just got grating. James loudly insisting on his right to be silent was probably the worst of it.

That aside, it was still good and funny overall.

Could they not get a more striking actor to play 'Hans'? No offence to the one they got, but he made for an incongruous lust object, regardless of how shapely his buttocks might have been.

Des Wigwam

I think it was Hans' mate that Michelle could describe in detail.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 18, 2022, 06:50:35 PMCould they not get a more striking actor to play 'Hans'? No offence to the one they got, but he made for an incongruous lust object, regardless of how shapely his buttocks might have been.

I thought they got it spot on

Jockice

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 16, 2022, 07:38:49 PMYea - thought Erin, Clare, and Orlaith were all turned up too loud in the first half at least - and the first 5 mins of Clare freaking out were way too much. It was a bit like they'd not quite remembered the characters so compensated with the more obvious traits. Thought Michelle was great though and just picked up where she left off. Ditto James but he's a much quieter character anyway.

I'd like to fifth the overacting complaint. Michelle was great though. And I'm not just saying that because she is totally the type of girl I would have fancied in my long-past school days.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Jockice on April 19, 2022, 06:13:52 PMI'd like to fifth the overacting complaint. Michelle was great though. And I'm not just saying that because she is totally the type of girl I would have fancied in my long-past school days.

That's also not the only reason Michelle is my favourite too.

Virgo76

Bit of a Father Ted My Lovely Horse ref when Michelle lost her temper during the rehearsal bit

Jockice

I think we've now officially entered series three of The Inbetweeners territory here. Still some funny bits but with ideas stretched too far. Maybe Lisa McGee has run out of things that actually happened during her teens. I look forward to both the films - which will of course be set in different locations - though.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Jockice on April 20, 2022, 09:01:45 AMI think we've now officially entered series three of The Inbetweeners territory here. Still some funny bits but with ideas stretched too far. Maybe Lisa McGee has run out of things that actually happened during her teens. I look forward to both the films - which will of course be set in different locations - though.

I was thinking the same thing. Still good fun, but it seems to be moving closer to a teen sitcom rather than a teen sitcom with the impending threat of the troubles. Some of its bite is gone now.

Hopefully there are no spinoff films and they just leave it alone after season three. Two 10/10 seasons and one 7-8/10 season is a good way to close the door on it.

SteveDave

I too enjoyed that episode of "Phoenix Nights" where they did "Stars In Your Eyes" and someone did Meatloaf.

Memorex MP3

yeah on the basis of that first episode I'd be expecting a massive drop off this season. Think those kinds of performances are more likely down the writing being less natural than the actors forgetting.

petril

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on April 20, 2022, 09:23:14 AMI was thinking the same thing. Still good fun, but it seems to be moving closer to a teen sitcom rather than a teen sitcom with the impending threat of the troubles. Some of its bite is gone now.

Hopefully there are no spinoff films and they just leave it alone after season three. Two 10/10 seasons and one 7-8/10 season is a good way to close the door on it.

I mean, the main arc is teenagers being teenagers while the Troubles ends and fades into the Peace Process, so yeah, the impending threat is always going to go away

cosmic-hearse

If this was set in 1996/7 (Spice Girls era), surely Shakespeare's Sister would have been old news? 4/5 feels like decades when your a teenager.

(Anachronisms aside I still laughed throughout)

danwho9

Quote from: petril on April 20, 2022, 11:04:56 AMI mean, the main arc is teenagers being teenagers while the Troubles ends and fades into the Peace Process, so yeah, the impending threat is always going to go away

The 'first Quinn to go to university' thing also made me think of it being just a year or so until Blair elected, so not long until his 'reforms'.

Gurke and Hare

When does Children in Need happen, is it early February? If so then
Spoiler alert
the IRA are going to resume setting bombs off in about a week so that could ratchet up the tension for the rest of the series.
[close]

EDIT: no, that's bollocks isn't it, Who Do You Think You Are was 1997 so it can't be 1996.

Former

The overdone gurning and grimacing was the one aspect of Season One that I really found irritating in a show that I otherwise rate very highly indeed.

By Season Two, they'd dialed it right down and all was grand in Derry. You know, subtlety, less is more etc.

Now, inexplicably, the facial expressions are back, more tortured and grotesque than ever. Claire and Erin in particular. It's like the Egremont Crab Fair out there. Did they forget how to act?

I still would, obvs.

Fambo Number Mive

Watched the second episode and loved it. Lisa McGee is such a good writer and the cast are so talented. Great directing from Michael Lennox as well.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on April 20, 2022, 03:19:31 PMIf this was set in 1996/7 (Spice Girls era), surely Shakespeare's Sister would have been old news? 4/5 feels like decades when your a teenager.

(Anachronisms aside I still laughed throughout)

I saw it as the geeky duo being well out of sync with popular culture. Didn't a priest do a new order song in Father Ted or am I imagining that? Basically the same joke.

Virgo76

Second episode seems to have very well received in the wider world.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 21, 2022, 10:20:12 AMSecond episode seems to have very well received in the wider world.

Also received well in my house by me watching with the dog. I chuckled throughout and particularly enjoyed Tommy Tiernan's performance, everyone's reaction to the plumber, and all the bits with Father Peter (who I keep thinking is Peter Serafinowicz but from a few years ago).

I also quite enjoyed a teenage girl from Northern Ireland singing as Meatloaf and the complete lack of effort put into the impression - as did the production team, choosing to play it over the final credits.

Spoiler alert
Thought the mammy affair plot was a bit obvious but then it's a sitcom and also most plots are pretty obvious.
[close]

Oh - Clare's miming really made me laugh. Excellent work from Nicola Coughlan.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 21, 2022, 10:43:35 AMOh - Clare's miming really made me laugh. Excellent work from Nicola Coughlan.

Yeah, that was great, and I thought it went on for pretty much the right length of time - it was obviously going to end in an outburst but it could easily have gone on for too long.

dissolute ocelot

The Stars in their Eyes thing was well done, without too many silly performances. Did they ever wear those big hooded robes on the TV show though?
Spoiler alert
Our fab five were quite good as the Spice Girls too, which made the inevitable breakdown funnier.
[close]
I do wonder if it's turning into The Goldbergs, where they just throw in everything from a decade into a big blender. It definitely has a bit less impact without the Troubles - the ceasefire should really have been the final episode ever. Maybe a prequel series in the early 80s with lots of jokes about the hunger strikes?

Des Wigwam

I wondered about the robes too and then realised it was quite a nice detail as you wouldn't have that break in filming (or filmed out of sequence) in a school hall. I wonder if Lisa McGee has based that on a real school event.

Spoiler alert
The Meatloaf spoiler is really making me laugh thinking about it
[close]

Former

If Aunt Sarah is 'unattached', does this mean we won't be seeing the Wee Docket Man in the new series? (Or ever again)

Utter Shit

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 16, 2022, 03:20:56 PMThought that was a bit flat to be honest. Also, didn't anyone else think that Her Who Looks Like A Sexy Version of Plug From The Bash Street Kids Plays Erin and Her Who Plays The Other Blonde One were ramping up the overacting a bit?

Horses for courses and all that but this seems like a bonkers criticism, their overacting has been a key part of the joy of this show from the very first episode.

I'd forgotten how great this show is, the two episodes of the new series have been so so fucking good.