Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

OK, I get that
Spoiler alert
the boatman was Charon, that's why Reece puked up a coin, cos the Greeks put coins in the mouths of the dead so they could pay the ferryman, but does that mean they were all dead all along? I'm assuming that was his wife he saw at the end?
[close]

Nice to see Gatiss finally appear as well, with his Jurgen Klopp glasses.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Kankurette on April 20, 2022, 10:32:23 PMOK, I get that
Spoiler alert
the boatman was Charon, that's why Reece puked up a coin, cos the Greeks put coins in the mouths of the dead so they could pay the ferryman, but does that mean they were all dead all along? I'm assuming that was his wife he saw at the end?
[close]

Nice to see Gatiss finally appear as well, with his Jurgen Klopp glasses.
IIRC
Spoiler alert
in the Greek myths, if you weren't given the coin as part of the proper burial rites, your shade was doomed to wander on the near bank of the Styx forever.  I'm assuming that they all died on that night, Laurence/Reece of hypothermia on the island, everyone else fell off the paedo, and that was his wife at the end.
[close]

Tony Tony Tony

Kankurette

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on April 20, 2022, 10:32:49 PMIIRC
Spoiler alert
in the Greek myths, if you weren't given the coin as part of the proper burial rites, your shade was doomed to wander on the near bank of the Styx forever.  I'm assuming that they all died on that night, Laurence/Reece of hypothermia on the island, everyone else fell off the paedo, and that was his wife at the end.
[close]
Thanks.
Spoiler alert
Laurence looked really ill at the end, so I did wonder if he was dying of something.
[close]

Norton Canes

I got the impression that

Spoiler alert
after he died the others became invisible to him, like he was in the same place but on a different plane (on a boat)
[close]

JamesTC

Felt very moving and personally resonant in a way that few Inside No 9 have up to this point.

I would like the ending more in another story, I think. The more I think of it though, maybe it is fitting. Reece's character has been in purgatory metaphorically speaking for a year (if not longer).

Kankurette

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 20, 2022, 10:40:17 PMI got the impression that

Spoiler alert
after he died the others became invisible to him, like he was in the same place but on a different plane (on a boat)
[close]
And
Spoiler alert
the island was like the Asphodel Fields/the Styx or something.
[close]

Tony Tony Tony

Got the allusions to Charon and the ferry across the River Styx but why was it necessary to have a firework send off for Bonnie?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That was great, it really captured the utter futility of trying to recapture your youth. Yes, the symbolism of the stuck pedalo - you can never go back, you need to move on etc. - wasn't exactly subtle, but the dialogue and performances transcended that. I found it very sad, for various reasons.

Spoiler alert
The supernatural River Styx ending wasn't really necessary, it felt a bit tacked on, but I must admit I was moved by Shearsmith's subtle non-verbal acting in that final shot.
[close]

Kankurette

Haha, I actually liked the ending. If only cos I love
Spoiler alert
Greek myth
[close]

daf

I bet they're loving this on the Roobarbs forum!

JamesTC

Quote from: daf on April 20, 2022, 11:09:51 PMI bet they're loving this on the Roobarbs forum!

They are fucking hating the lack of a blu-ray release.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Actually, ignore what I just said about the ending.

Spoiler alert
The more I think about it, the more it adds to the emotional resonance of the episode. Lawrence is reunited with his wife in some sort of hinterland. He was already living in purgatory, a real life consumed by grief, but now he's free.

I very much doubt that Reece and Steve were attempting to make some sentimental plea on behalf of an afterlife, it was just a poignant way to end an otherwise quite depressing story. A heartfelt coda; fiction tidying up the tragedy of life.

That sounds awfully hifalutin, I know. But I guess that was the idea.
[close]

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: JamesTC on April 20, 2022, 10:49:04 PMFelt very moving and personally resonant in a way that few Inside No 9 have up to this point.

Same here. I'm scattering my husband's ashes this weekend as it happens. This episode was lovely. 

BritishHobo

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 20, 2022, 10:40:17 PMI got the impression that

Spoiler alert
[close]

I wondered this. The
Spoiler alert
ferryman said they were "on the other side", which if he and Rees were in the afterlife could be referring to the mortal plane.
[close]

It was quite beautiful, that. I liked that
Spoiler alert
there didn't end up being any dark dark secrets between them, leading to murderrrrrr or similar.  Just a nice wistful reflection on drifting apart.
[close]

Nice touch as well with
Spoiler alert
Mark Gatiss of the Iron Bank of Braavos nodding along with the suggestion that Game of Thrones fucked the ending.
[close]

According to the post show podcast (via someone on Reddit)

Spoiler alert
The other three are still alive. The "twist" being that you're led to believe they died and he survived until they get to the riverbank.
[close]

idunnosomename

i was a bit underwhelmed by this tbh. I mean I enjoyed it and the performances but it felt more like an ok afternoon play, I didn't laugh once. but yeah we all felt it transitioning from big bants into Böcklin's isle of the dead i suppose.

what was the location? although I felt a lot of it must've chroma-key'd in over location footage. i mean, fair enough, but sometimes it was so obvious it took me out of the narrative

since there were real time years referenced, I wonder if there was some nod to COVID in it?

so yeah. nice. might watch it again.

JamesTC

Quote from: This isnt witty sorry on April 21, 2022, 12:01:17 AMAccording to the post show podcast (via someone on Reddit)

Spoiler alert
The other three are still alive. The "twist" being that you're led to believe they died and he survived until they get to the riverbank.
[close]

Though Reece acknowledges that people may see it differently.

Ja'moke

"He confused me with his dog daughters."

Kankurette

I'm glad there wasn't a murder either, I assume Reece was going to drown everyone.

Bigfella

Impressive Scottish accent by Mark Gattis, a lot of English actors can't quite get there!  Sharp writing, lovely turns of emotion.  One thing - can we please assume spoilers are moot after it's been broadcast on BBC2? 

neardark

Quote from: Bigfella on April 21, 2022, 04:42:50 AMOne thing - can we please assume spoilers are moot after it's been broadcast on BBC2? 

Agreed

the science eel

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 21, 2022, 12:08:54 AMit felt more like an ok afternoon play

Really? Inside No. 9? Well there's a fucking surprise

Stigdu

My favourite line was "Have you been in Five Guys?" "At least."

I didn't know where this one was going until he paid the ferryman, then yeah, I saw it as he made his wife's ashes into fireworks, set them off then died of hypothermia whilst the others survived.

Not bad, but I need a rewatch to fully appreciate, I think.

jobotic

So how come he had a coin? Because he was ready?

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Bigfella on April 21, 2022, 04:42:50 AMImpressive Scottish accent by Mark Gattis, a lot of English actors can't quite get there!

Yes, I was struck by that - wonder if he perfected that after hanging out with Moffat so much.

Jack Shaftoe

Regarding the ending:

Spoiler alert
I did wonder how the other three would have been rescued (I assumed they lived because the 'other side' must refer to the mortal realm as others have said), but it makes sense that someone would have seen the fireworks and come out to investigate.
[close]

Thirty minutes is the perfect length for these, isn't it? Never a line wasted, but also no room to over-explain anything.

Norton Canes

I'd like to see a movie-length version of three of four interlinked stories, portmanteau style

olliebean

Quote from: This isnt witty sorry on April 21, 2022, 12:01:17 AMAccording to the post show podcast (via someone on Reddit)

Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
You are? Because it was absolutely clear to me what the situation was from the moment we saw the ferryman close up. For him to have survived and the ferryman to turn out just to be a weird creepy old man who had rescued him would have been a twist.
[close]

bobloblaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 20, 2022, 10:57:31 PMThat was great, it really captured the utter futility of trying to recapture your youth. Yes, the symbolism of the stuck pedalo - you can never go back, you need to move on etc. - wasn't exactly subtle, but the dialogue and performances transcended that. I found it very sad, for various reasons.

Spoiler alert
The supernatural River Styx ending wasn't really necessary, it felt a bit tacked on, but I must admit I was moved by Shearsmith's subtle non-verbal acting in that final shot.
[close]

Shearsmith/Pemberton's very own Milport