Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wheesht 17: Alt-right, Alt-right, Glinner's Nearly Alt-Right (Deep Deep Down)

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, March 28, 2022, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalknerHinton

oh no not one of the nerds out of radiohead.

Anyway, clearly the mumsnetters have been studying the greatest poem of the last twenty five years:

He wrote that. In 2017.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2022, 03:31:49 PMTo be fair, that's better than Just Don't Say You Are English. Well done.
only because it scans like a hoedown

JaDanketies

I guess the real problem so-called leftwing terfs have is, if you want to create a political movement that aims to improve society from a position of empathy (and scientific rationalism), then this group is never going to be majority-transphobe, almost by definition. The Mumsnet poet has to realise that the reason why the only group that says it agrees with her is the one for the corrupt psychopaths because her concerns come from a place of bigotry, with apparently-rational arguments put around it like a shroud, so she's never going to be able to convince people who form their beliefs from a place of empathy or open-minded enquiry.

It's not really mysterious to the non-terfs why lefties are generally less transphobic than rightwingers.

jobotic

What's that, up the way?

It's a shed and there's a light on in it.

Aw, what a gift. Thank you Lady Di.

phantom_power

Where do they get this idea the left care more about pronouns than poverty? Just because you care about pronouns doesn't mean you don't care about other things or care about them less. In fact by voting Tory because of this issue, the GCs are proving that they care more about pronouns than poverty

Dr Rock

Oh England's rose, your time cut short
A nation weeps, and train tickets to London bought
Her beauty shone, she had such class,
smashed to bits in an underpass

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: FalknerHinton on April 26, 2022, 03:38:19 PMoh no not one of the nerds out of radiohead.

You're posting this in the umpteenth thread about one of the nerds who wrote Father Ted.

I don't think one liked tweet warrants its own thread in Oscillations. Just that some posters including myself don't like it when their heroes go bananas*

*if indeed that is the case with JG, and Christ I hope it's not, but it kinda looks like it from where I'm sat. I don't know how someone can read Suzanne Moore's blabberings and not be aware of her stance.

dead-ced-dead

I think it's a shame when anyone we're a fan of goes bananas, and for all the chuckles we get out of Oh...He...Turned off Replies, Carbonara, Cum Stained Trousers etc. we'd all much rather be living in a world where the worst thing you can say about Glinner is that The IT Crowd is a bit shit.

So, yeah, JG's potential potassium overdose is disappointing.

Ex_GC

If you're someone who's not online a lot you're not going to know the ins and outs. I speak from experience, trust me when I say that most people would look at me strangely when I tried to bring up GC lingo/ speak in the real world. I just think it's too early to declare him a transphobe going by one liked tweet, we don't have enough evidence. There's certainly not enough evidence to be drawing parallels between Jonny liking a tweet and GL

Elfking

Quote from: phantom_power on April 26, 2022, 04:06:44 PMWhere do they get this idea the left care more about pronouns than poverty? Just because you care about pronouns doesn't mean you don't care about other things or care about them less. In fact by voting Tory because of this issue, the GCs are proving that they care more about pronouns than poverty

It's the terminally online in an echo chamber. If you spend a lot of time on the internet and going to places that blast you with the same view all the time (and you're a bit dim) you'll start accepting it. Before long you'll start repeating it too. It doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Reality is so distorted for these people. In their minds they see gangs of trans people stalking women's bathrooms, they see schools and TRAs as deliberately trying to "turn" their kids, they see trans people being immune to the rules of society... In short they basically see them how homophobes saw gay people in decades past.

As for the transphobic stuff becoming more mainstream... I doubt that it's here to stay. It's been made that way by the Tories in their attempts at "culture war." They have proven they are hopeless in responding to any real problems so they are dredging up these cultural issues to try and embarrass Labour. It isn't working. That isn't to say it's good or that it isn't radicalising more people though. Despite that only 1% of people described trans issues as the biggest issue and that includes those that are on the pro-trans side as well.

I disagree that they are good at messaging, they just don't have an opposition. Trans people aren't given a voice and neither are their allies. People like Linehan can go on television and tell a story of "cancel culture" and trying to protect women and there will be no critical examination of his views. There will be no awkward questions that we know transphobes have no answer for. There is no balance.

Dr Rock

The Tories can't win on their policies or record, so are copying US Republicans and trying to win on culture war bullshit. But I don't think they're going to go far by being shit to asylum seekers and courting the tiny terf vote. The numbers aren't there like they are in that mental, religious America. The party of bigotry is trapped by the reasonableness of the modern times.

I agree with @Elfking, feels like the "What Is A Woman?" gotcha has burnt itself out like "I identify as an attack helicopter" did.

This doesn't seem to be gaining much traction

See how the Forstater and Bailey cases turn out now really

keir

Quote from: Ex_GC on April 26, 2022, 04:37:05 PMIf you're someone who's not online a lot you're not going to know the ins and outs. I speak from experience, trust me when I say that most people would look at me strangely when I tried to bring up GC lingo/ speak in the real world. I just think it's too early to declare him a transphobe going by one liked tweet, we don't have enough evidence. There's certainly not enough evidence to be drawing parallels between Jonny liking a tweet and GL

He's got form, he's liked terfy tweets before, and when challenged he didn't respond but he unliked them, so even if all the individual tweets could potentially look like they were pro-women to someone ignorant, it's not a great look.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Elfking on April 26, 2022, 05:14:53 PMIt's the terminally online in an echo chamber. If you spend a lot of time on the internet and going to places that blast you with the same view all the time (and you're a bit dim) you'll start accepting it. Before long you'll start repeating it too. It doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Yes, but that's enough about us, a ha ha ha ha ha fucking ha

Mister Six

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 26, 2022, 02:02:41 PM

If he did get his account back would he keep posting as Oliophi to cover his tracks?

Probably not.

Imagine being someone who writes and obsesses exactly like Glinner, without even the creative achievements. Grim.

somersetchris

Quote from: Ex_GC on April 26, 2022, 04:37:05 PMIf you're someone who's not online a lot you're not going to know the ins and outs. I speak from experience, trust me when I say that most people would look at me strangely when I tried to bring up GC lingo/ speak in the real world. I just think it's too early to declare him a transphobe going by one liked tweet, we don't have enough evidence. There's certainly not enough evidence to be drawing parallels between Jonny liking a tweet and GL

I totally get what you're saying, a lot of people talk about women's rights and women's spaces and you could accidentally like something terfy without realising it *but* in this case I don't think that tweet makes any sense at all if you're not fluent in banana, so you would only like it if you understand the dog whistle contained therein.

somersetchris

Quote from: retsuza on April 26, 2022, 02:11:38 PMI am not Glinner I just harass people an awfully lot like he does.

I'm not Glinner, I just happen to be logged into Twitter on his computer when he takes screenshots

somersetchris

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on April 26, 2022, 02:57:59 PMJonny, though. Fuck's sake.  I'm going to see The Smile next month and now I'm gonna go buy myself a trans pride flag t-shirt to wear to the gig. The floppy-fringed cunt was my absolute hero until about 5 minutes ago. Urgh.

Fucking Gen X man, you can't trust any of them on this issue (and I speak as one of them, who is regularly disappointed in his peer group)

idunnosomename

Wow Simon Edge, best knowN for his unfunny books about twitter, did an SGB that isnt that distinguishable from a Graham one. He mentions Animal Farm of course.

Anything but writing his own blog for Grifter Graham!

Ex_GC

Quote from: somersetchris on April 26, 2022, 06:10:10 PMI totally get what you're saying, a lot of people talk about women's rights and women's spaces and you could accidentally like something terfy without realising it *but* in this case I don't think that tweet makes any sense at all if you're not fluent in banana, so you would only like it if you understand the dog whistle contained therein.

You're probably right :( sigh

mippy

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 26, 2022, 06:27:01 PMWow Simon Edge, best knowN for his unfunny books about twitter, did an SGB that isnt that distinguishable from a Graham one. He mentions Animal Farm of course.

Anything but writing his own blog for Grifter Graham!

wrec

Quote from: somersetchris on April 26, 2022, 06:10:10 PMI totally get what you're saying, a lot of people talk about women's rights and women's spaces and you could accidentally like something terfy without realising it *but* in this case I don't think that tweet makes any sense at all if you're not fluent in banana, so you would only like it if you understand the dog whistle contained therein.

Ironically, Yorke on BDS

QuoteI'll be totally honest with you: this has been extremely upsetting. There's an awful lot of people who don't agree with the BDS movement, including us. I don't agree with the cultural ban at all, along with J.K. Rowling, Noam Chomsky and a long list of others.

NB Chomsky essentially supports BDS while admitting to having "some tactical differences" with them. https://bdsmovement.net/news/chomsky-clarifies-position-cultural-boycott-israel

Of course mentioning Rowling here has nothing to do with any band member's current terfism or otherwise but they were such petulant shits about that issue  it wouldn't be a big leap as members of the millionaire self-aggrandizing hypocrite community

Ambient Sheep

I had no idea what BDS was, just read the summary on that site, and a few articles.

Pretty disappointing from Thom; using his logic it seems that they would have happily played in apartheid South Africa.  Grim.

Sorry for off-topic.

daf

Glad I could never get into Radiohead now!

frajer

Linehan: Can I surprise you? I like Radiohead's music.

Can't stand clicking on his sad grief blog anymore but I presume the above has already happened.

buttgammon

Quote from: frajer on April 27, 2022, 08:50:47 AMLinehan: Can I surprise you? I like Radiohead's music.

Can't stand clicking on his sad grief blog anymore but I presume the above has already happened.

It explains his sock's Amnesiac avatar if nothing else.

I'm glad I chose to pay £0.00 for In Rainbows when it came out now (somewhat negated by the fact that I bought a vinyl copy for my girlfriend a few weeks ago).

JaDanketies

I've pirated everything of Radiohead's, ever. Never given them a penny. In fact I just visited their website so they had to use some bandwidth to ensure that I am a net loss to them. Take that Yorkeface.

Jeez they do think pretty fucking highly of themselves looking at this website

dissolute ocelot

Jonny Greenwood has responded to say he didn't mean to like it:

QuoteFat thumb. FWIW I only use twitter to share (and steal other people's) enthusiasms for music / comedy / art etc. I also read lots of writers I like - but avoid commenting on things about which I'm ignorant  - like this.

https://twitter.com/jnnyg/status/1519214115268571136