Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee nearly killed onstage

Started by lazyhour, March 07, 2022, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

If Tom Tugendtwat thinks calling him Tom Tugendtwat is antisemitic, then basically anyone who as heard of him is an antisemite. Also he's a twat

BritishHobo

I loved:

QuoteHe also added, presumably as a 'joke':

olliebean

I half believe that Stew wrote that article himself.

Cold Meat Platter

Ferris

My money on Rich Herring writing it incognito.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 27, 2022, 12:25:08 AMWhy can't he perform if someone is filming? Always seems like an excuse to target and embarrass someone for no reason.

The light off a single phone can be really off putting to a performer apparently.

I've seen Benedict Cumberbatch, live on stage (/podium), break character to directly ask an audience member to stop filming them for that very reason.

MigraineBoy

PlanktonSideburns

Yea that's a very funny article that, both having a dig at stu and copying his style, well played

greencalx

What theatregoers may not realise is that if a performer is audible to an audience member without amplification, then the converse is also true. The fact that performers are now routinely amplified maybe obscures this a bit but I can attest that in some acoustics it is possible to hear each and every word of someone's conversation, which is obviously very distracting.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How much direction does a standup show require?

"Point the camera at the stage."

Captain Z

There was this fing, yeah, and it was this man just talking on a stage for like two hours. It was mental.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 04, 2022, 12:53:46 PMHow much direction does a standup show require?

It wouldn't be a filmed stand-up special without some shitty introductory scene. Maybe he rides his shark to the theatre at the start?

Is anyone credited with directing the actual stand-up for the other 200 nights?

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 04, 2022, 12:53:46 PMHow much direction does a standup show require?

Surprisingly (!) it's more complicated than that.

MigraineBoy

It's two evenings worth of performances cut into two sets for TV.

I'm sure there's a bit of work involved.

Cold Meat Platter

Presumably he'll be explaining to us why he hates women so much.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: KennyMonster on April 29, 2022, 10:20:30 AMThe light off a single phone can be really off putting to a performer apparently.

Good thing he went straight from private school to Oxford to lucrative TV work. Imagine if he had to work in Wetherspoons in Liverpool town centre on a Saturday night. He'd have a break down

Des Wigwam

Not sure if this has been posted but it's just popped up on my phone. There might be a specific Snowflake / Tornado thread:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6842/stewart-lee-tornado-snowflake-specials-on-bbc2/

I was due to see this at Mach back in 2020 but then there was that virus going round. Have given up hope of seeing it live so pleased to see this.

I've clearly not been reading this thread.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on April 27, 2022, 12:25:08 AMWhy can't he perform if someone is filming? Always seems like an excuse to target and embarrass someone for no reason.

It's not that he can't, it's that he won't. Completely fair in my opinion. If you really want to film someone on a stage, go to an Ed Sheeran concert.

Saw Tornado/Snowflake on Sunday, very good albeit thought Snowflake tailed off a bit. Enjoyed the Nick Cave impression greatly.

Big dig (harmless ultimately though) at Greg Davies seemed out-the-blue given Greg on Taskmaster last week said Bridget and he [Greg] had known each other a while...

Got 2 second row tickets for this in Chesterfield, Saturday 28/05. Can't make it. Face value obvs. Anyone interested?

DrGreggles

Had an email from Cambridge Corn Exchange yesterday telling me about their COVID protocol ahead of my visit on Tuesday.

Forgot about that... Can't bloody go now!

Just checked when I booked the original ticket: October 2019!

Ha mine were a birthday present from July 19. 2 postponements and a switch from Salford to Chesterfield later and now it's clashing with the European cup final.

druss

I never fail to laugh at the title of this thread.

Quote from: jsgibble on May 01, 2022, 07:28:31 AM
Spoiler alert

Bah.  Can't make out a word of that.  It sounds like a Christoper Nolan movie.

Tickets on sale now for his next tour'Basic Lee'

Ferris

Don't make me Basic Lee, you wouldn't like me when I'm Basic Lee.

Quote from: druss on May 17, 2022, 09:10:59 AMI never fail to laugh at the title of this thread.

What's so funny about Stewart Lee not getting killed? I don't find Lee's life not being brought to an end by factor's external to him the slightest bit amusing.