Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Definitely one of the good ones.

I've seen him at a couple of his new material nights and he picks on the audience a lot in what could be seen as bullying, correcting them in an off-hand superior way for pronouncing things wrong or making obvious mistakes and going back to needle them about things throughout the evening, but it's very obvious that it's part of his schtick and getting a lot of laughs from it.

The people on the receiving end are going into it with that spirit, similar to how Richard Herring did when Key was on RHLSTP, he has a persona that's a bit like the IT guy in The Office with his "Way of the Dragon" bit at times, funny because of the pedantry and how it's phrased.

non capisco

Quote from: Ron Superior on April 29, 2022, 04:19:15 PMAlso, almost all RHLSTPS that have been fun at all, have been ones where the guests have had fun digging at him, Greg Davies, Miles Jupp, Richard Osman etc. 

Julian Clary is one of my favourite episodes for that reason. "Don't lunge at me, Richard!"

frajer

Quote from: non capisco on April 29, 2022, 04:26:30 PMJulian Clary is one of my favourite episodes for that reason. "Don't lunge at me, Richard!"

Heh, if I remember rightly Clary was also the one who responded with this when Herring told him he self-published his Emergency Questions book:

"Of course you did."

Mobbd

Quote from: non capisco on April 29, 2022, 04:26:30 PMJulian Clary is one of my favourite episodes for that reason. "Don't lunge at me, Richard!"

I'll never forget that. So funny. Herring was trying to ingratiate himself and fumbled it really badly. But it gave us the lunge remark!

I am on the fence about Key. I know a lot of people like him but I think there's something fishy there. He made me laugh on Buckles' pod this week though with his flippancy/understatement about lockdown being "mad."

Rolf Lundgren

I was watching Christopher Dean on telly last night promising to take someone out for a meal and it instantly reminded me of Julian Clary and the withering way he pronounced it when told of Richard's birthday plans. "A meal?"

PlanktonSideburns

Love it when people have a go at herring in his show, forgot about the ace Julian clary one! So who did the best herringslams?

Key
Clary
Anyone else?

Also that one where serafinowicz Turns it into a star wars therapy session

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Fair enough, it's probably not the same people doing it, but I find it bizarre how the prevailing attitude toward Herring here seems to be contempt, unless some other comedian gives him a vaguely hard time and then it's all diddums.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2022, 05:58:59 PMFair enough, it's probably not the same people doing it, but I find it bizarre how the prevailing attitude toward Herring here seems to be contempt, unless some other comedian gives him a vaguely hard time and then it's all diddums.

Literally made up position though

Ferris

Quote from: Ron Superior on April 29, 2022, 04:19:15 PMAlso, almost all RHLSTPS that have been fun at all, have been ones where the guests have had fun digging at him, Greg Davies, Miles Jupp, Richard Osman etc. 

Herring gleefully announcing he had a book coming out "I self-published mine!" and Julian Clary's withering "of course you did." is the funniest moment on RHLSTP (rhlstp) I can think of.

Ferris

Quote from: frajer on April 29, 2022, 04:30:21 PMHeh, if I remember rightly Clary was also the one who responded with this when Herring told him he self-published his Emergency Questions book:

"Of course you did."

Well there we go. Great minds think alike. That will teach me for not reading the rest of the thread before replying!

frajer

Quote from: Ferris on April 29, 2022, 09:42:19 PMWell there we go. Great minds think alike. That will teach me for not reading the rest of the thread before replying!

Glad it's tattooed on your brain too! Such a funny moment, that whole episode's a belter.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Ferris on April 29, 2022, 09:42:19 PMThat will teach me for not reading the rest of the thread before replying!

It won't though will it Ferris

Ferris

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 29, 2022, 09:49:50 PMIt won't though will it Ferris

No, but @frajer is a great underrated poster and I felt I owed them an (honest) explanation for my fuck up.

I will continue to do the same thing because I'm a lazy bastard. In my defence, that moment with Clary was very funny.

Cold Meat Platter

It was.
I'm sorry I judged you.
If it's of any consolation it wasn't sincere judgement, simply quasi-drunken nonsense.

Or maybe drunken quasi-nonsense?

Let's settle on pish eh

Cookdandbombd has a subsection who are fairly obsessed with describing every interaction as "nasty", which is quite a strong phrase in my world but very common here for any kind of interaction where someone is eliciting laughs at another's expense, even if it is completely complicit and with an audience who has bought into the personas on stage.

I've lost count of the times I've read "nasty" and delved in to see the cause, expecting a word of that weight to match with some truly vindictive act, only to see that it's the usual, a comedian known for a character or tone enacting that in front of an audience who I'd assume would be aware of that too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

popcorn

Quote from: thelittlemango on April 30, 2022, 01:56:32 AMCookdandbombd has a subsection who are fairly obsessed with describing every interaction as "nasty"

I do find myself slightly bewildered by the persistent CaB speculation about the behaviour/attitude of Adam's guests (usually Joe Cornish) after many episodes are released. Perhaps I'm just horribly emotionally insensitive but all the conversations seem genial to me.

Magnum Valentino

Just a wee reminder that I didn't listen to this guest on this podcast, in case any of those last few points are (fairly) directed at me for derailing the thread for a while.

I also didn't use the word "nasty" and in the last few pages I couldn't see anyone else use it either, so not sure that was what was being levelled at Tim, in this instance.

To be totally honest, too, I don't think it's cool to try to get laughs at someone else's expense in a public performance space just because that's how you're used to conducting yourself, and I'm sick of people defending it as being part of the risk of being a performer or that really everyone's mates behind it all. I'm sure that accounts for some interactions, but by the same token it can't account for all interactions, so I don't see why we're so quick to defend what appears on the surface level to be cuntish behaviour.

boinks

I think he gauges it by who he's talking to, as to whether they can/will spar with him verbally (Herring seemed up for it, to me) - I've never felt that he does it at others' expense. Also he's on various podcasts where he's quite 'normal' and gentle in his approach e.g. 'Walking the dog' with Emily Dean.

DrGreggles

Can't believe the loveliness of lovely Tim Key is being questioned.

There was a nice moment in the interview when Tim distracted Adam from the upsetting memories of his mum by making him laugh, which I thought was quite sweet and showed some compassion at least. This notion that he's secretly a monster just seems like it might be projection based on very little.

Pranet

I am sometimes surprised how literally things the things comedians say are taken on this forum, of all places. John Cleese and Prunella Scales didn't actually run a hotel in the 70s and Richard Herring wasn't actually 28 years old.

Pranet

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on April 30, 2022, 09:23:16 PMThere was a nice moment in the interview when Tim distracted Adam from the upsetting memories of his mum by making him laugh, which I thought was quite sweet and showed some compassion at least. This notion that he's secretly a monster just seems like it might be projection based on very little.

It was really funny. One of those laughter from pain moments. I laughed out loud listening to it. And also really felt for Adam.

mjwilson

Quote from: Ferris on April 29, 2022, 09:38:24 PMHerring gleefully announcing he had a book coming out "I self-published mine!" and Julian Clary's withering "of course you did." is the funniest moment on RHLSTP (rhlstp) I can think of.

I'm a big fan of "Ian Gunpowder" myself.

poo

Twit 2

AllisonSays

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 30, 2022, 07:34:20 PMTo be totally honest, too, I don't think it's cool to try to get laughs at someone else's expense in a public performance space just because that's how you're used to conducting yourself, and I'm sick of people defending it as being part of the risk of being a performer or that really everyone's mates behind it all. I'm sure that accounts for some interactions, but by the same token it can't account for all interactions, so I don't see why we're so quick to defend what appears on the surface level to be cuntish behaviour.

I truly can't think of an example of Tim Key doing this outside of, like, acting, which is obviously a different thing. He wasn't remotely cuntish to Herring, for instance: he gently made fun of the format in a way that Herring basically seems to invite most of the time.

I dunno man, you can obviously think what you think - and I must say I don't find Key's poetry thing especially funny - but I think in anything I've seen he only ever 'gets laughs at someone else's expense' in a way that seems fundamentally collaborative and consensual.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: AllisonSays on May 01, 2022, 08:50:39 AMI truly can't think of an example of Tim Key doing this outside of, like, acting, which is obviously a different thing. He wasn't remotely cuntish to Herring, for instance: he gently made fun of the format in a way that Herring basically seems to invite most of the time.

I dunno man, you can obviously think what you think - and I must say I don't find Key's poetry thing especially funny - but I think in anything I've seen he only ever 'gets laughs at someone else's expense' in a way that seems fundamentally collaborative and consensual.

I've sort of expanded out a wee bit based on some of the replies that weren't about Tim Key directly and that spoke broadly about certain behaviours, to be honest.

The real core of what I wanted to say here, which I stand over, is that I get a feeling from Tim Key that I'd be uncomfortable in his presence. To that, I've ended up adding 'some people are much worse (and are actual cunts) and get away with it because others will make excuses for them if it makes them laugh, too', but I'm not necessarily saying that about Tim - it's just an observation that came up quite organically.

AllisonSays

Fair play! And yeah, I can definitely see that you're describing a real thing in the abstract, Gervais being the most obvious example for me.

The Bumlord

Apparently he has no interest in music at all.

The evidence is mounting up here.