Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Can absolutely confirm that Mdou Moctar is the swinging giddy tits live. You'll have a ball, Nev. It's a real journey.

Pink Gregory

Certainly there's not many spaces less ventilated than music venues.

To be honest I'm *more* likely to wear one if nae other fucker is.  At that point it's more for their protection than mine if I'm not wearing an N95 for 20 minutes only, but at least I've thought about it.

I don't think I'll struggle keeping one on for shows, usually alone as I am. 

The Mollusk

I will at the very least be wearing one when we see Shellac next week because I don't want to make the Albinus angry

Memorex MP3

Jeff Rosenstock was down to just him for the London show with everyone else testing positive, I wound up missing it due to a bit of a crisis with a friend but looking at the videos there was very few masks at that show, now that's probably a pretty conscientious audience (asides from someone who pickpocketed a bunch of people, apparently) who are fully aware their own show has been massively impacted by it and the guy they're seeing's band are now not able to go home.

Looking at his touring schedule I kinda wish I put a bit of thought into it before and made a point of heading to one of the smaller towns for a smaller and much more appreciated gig. Looks like he done only the one show in London so he could squeeze a show in somewhere else that people are less likely to visit.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 21, 2022, 12:50:42 AMJeff Rosenstock was down to just him for the London show with everyone else testing positive, I wound up missing it due to a bit of a crisis with a friend but looking at the videos there was very few masks at that show, now that's probably a pretty conscientious audience (asides from someone who pickpocketed a bunch of people, apparently) who are fully aware their own show has been massively impacted by it and the guy they're seeing's band are now not able to go home.

Looking at his touring schedule I kinda wish I put a bit of thought into it before and made a point of heading to one of the smaller towns for a smaller and much more appreciated gig. Looks like he done only the one show in London so he could squeeze a show in somewhere else that people are less likely to visit.

My friend said only three of them were present for the Nottingham show so it's really bleak that it was reduced to just him for the next night.

Incidentally Jeff was one of the people I saw explicitly thanking Albini in the replies to the thread I posted above.

SteveDave

I've bought a ticket singular to see The Lazy Eyes at the end of May. I've not been to a gig by myself since I saw Menswear supported by the Gyres in 1996 (?) at the Cardiff Uni Students Union.

jobotic

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 20, 2022, 12:10:38 PM

I'm not gonna lie, my mask wearing in public spaces has begun to dwindle significantly in the last couple of weeks. If a tube train is less than half full, or if I've had a drink and my give-a-shit-o-meter is low on battery, I don't wear one any more. I've stopped entirely in shops and at the handful of gigs I've been to I've kept it off as well. But posts like this - and the request by Sparks for people to do the same on their current tour - are certainly eye-opening and almost make me feel a bit ashamed of myself.

Part of my reasoning is of course that basically no one else is wearing one now, so what difference is it going to make if I am? But obviously there are still people who are anxious, there are still people who are in contact with vulnerable people or are even vulnerable themselves, so whilst part of me still wants to do the right thing I think it's also okay to understand why so many people are feeling defeated by the lack of proper guidance available now, particularly from our government.

Keen to know others' thoughts on this.

I'm all over the place with this. I wear a mask at work when I'm in the public area, I always wear one in shops or on buses and trains BUT I've never worn one at a gig and not in a pub for a long time.

No one had one on at Stewart Lee last night and the bar and bogs were rammed at the interval.

But of course I'd wear one if the band requested it.

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 20, 2022, 12:10:38 PMI'm not gonna lie, my mask wearing in public spaces has begun to dwindle significantly in the last couple of weeks. If a tube train is less than half full, or if I've had a drink and my give-a-shit-o-meter is low on battery, I don't wear one any more. I've stopped entirely in shops and at the handful of gigs I've been to I've kept it off as well. But posts like this - and the request by Sparks for people to do the same on their current tour - are certainly eye-opening and almost make me feel a bit ashamed of myself.

Part of my reasoning is of course that basically no one else is wearing one now, so what difference is it going to make if I am? But obviously there are still people who are anxious, there are still people who are in contact with vulnerable people or are even vulnerable themselves, so whilst part of me still wants to do the right thing I think it's also okay to understand why so many people are feeling defeated by the lack of proper guidance available now, particularly from our government.

Keen to know others' thoughts on this.

I think the latter (bolded) part is key. I'm still wearing masks on public transport and in shops, but when no other fucker is I do sometimes wonder what the point is. Pubs on the other hand, haven't done so since the arbirtary "only when not eating or drinking " thing was scrapped. I did wear a mask for Sparks, but haven't always done so at other gigs of late.

My dad was potentially gonna join me at a small-ish indoor gig last week - he's in his 70s and immunocompromised - it would've been his first time doing anything remotely "out out" for nigh-on two years. He bailed, on the basis that he'd have to spend a couple of hours on trains/Tubes (with likely minimal mask wearing) to get there, then spend another couple of hours in a poorly ventilated room, with a bunch of people statistically some of whom are likely to be infectious. Which I understand, and it's pretty gutting as he absolutely loves seeing live music and generally being out and being around people, but potentially won't feel safe doing so again in his lifetime.

On the other hand, there are loads of vulnerable people in the performing arts industries who don't even have that luxury of choosing whether they do this for a fun jolly - it's their livelihood (alongside of course all the many, many other vulnerable frontline workers who've been forced to put their health on the line to earn a living).

I think ultimately if there hadn't been such a horrifically cynical scramble to GET COVID DONE and scrap literally every restriction ever, it wouldn't be such a quandary as there'd be a bit more assurance that at least people had the *option* of testing themselves beforehand and isolating if positive - but now it's a complete Wild West, you're sort of forced to just hope for the best. (I mean, I'm still testing myself before and after any big social mixing thing, but I've got the privilege of access to free tests, and I'd be able to afford to buy them now and then if/when I need to, and I can work remotely if I do test positive - I realise not everyone has all that.)

I don't think anyone should feel like they're being a cunt for wanting to enjoy live music (and other performing arts) and support struggling venues, events and industries, but I can completely understand and relate to the guilt and confusion fostered by the staggeringly shambolic fuckup of how it's been brushed under the carpet (and I know musicians who've experienced similar remorse and conflict themselves, for deciding to perform/tour within the last year).

Guess they can all just LEARN CYBER or something, who fucking knows any more

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 20, 2022, 12:10:38 PM

"Why don't you snuff it, then?
You lymphocytes-producing pussy"

A couple of weeks ago I saw an artist that asked people to wear masks, I think about a third to a fifth of us did. As a guess.

I did until I got my chewing gum stuck in the mask, and nope I didn't bring a spare. Oopsie.

Pink Gregory

I'm not expecting the majority of people at Shellac to be masked up (I'm on the Megabus up now and nae cunt's got one except me), but I can only hope that my wearing one might be some comfort to anyone who's a bit wary, and that includes the band.

Means piss all in the context of actual contagion, I know.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 29, 2022, 08:51:18 AMI'm not expecting the majority of people at Shellac to be masked up (I'm on the Megabus up now and nae cunt's got one except me), but I can only hope that my wearing one might be some comfort to anyone who's a bit wary, and that includes the band.

Means piss all in the context of actual contagion, I know.

Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel too.

Pauline Walnuts

Oh, and at the un-asked to wear your masks ones, no-one. Maybe 1 or 2 in a crowd.

Kankurette

I haven't worn one at any gigs. I won't be wearing one at Tool next week.

non capisco

Just saw Low play Hackney Church. They encored with my absolute two favourites '2 Step' and 'When I Go Deaf' (the former I don't think I've ever heard them play before) and the hairs on my neck went chaotic. Two of my favourite voices, still sounding incredible.

Pink Gregory

The Mollusk

Got drunk and opted not to wear the mask for Desertfest last night. Fantastic evening though. Pissed Jeans were the highlight, been waiting years to see them again and they did not disappoint. Twisted my fuckin knee in the pit and am hobbling around like a dickhead now.

Shellac were very decent but I do think they're starting to show their age a bit, they weren't as tight as last time I saw them but I still love them to bits and enjoyed the set a lot. Really fucking annoying feedback buzz coming from one of the speakers above my head though.

Albini mentioned John Peel at one point and I'm pretty sure I drunkenly shouted "John Peel was a paedo" which I now regret massively.

Pink Gregory

Yeah I was masked up but probably unecessarily.  No one's there against there will and you would hope that anyone who was symptomatic wouldn't have gone, though that's never guaranteed.

Probably more likely to spread it getting there (public transport, shops etc) than actually being there.

non capisco

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 01, 2022, 02:41:33 PMAlbini mentioned John Peel at one point and I'm pretty sure I drunkenly shouted "John Peel was a paedo" which I now regret massively.

Ha ha, I don't remember this!

Pink Gregory

Pauline Walnuts

Oh, I thought Steve Albini had really let himself go.

The Mollusk

Albino's wee belly poking over his waist guitar strap is really very cute.

sardines

Gnod and Part Chimp in the same week. Christ I'm knackered.

non capisco

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 01, 2022, 02:41:33 PMAlbini mentioned John Peel at one point and I'm pretty sure I drunkenly shouted "John Peel was a paedo" which I now regret massively.

That's true though innit?

QuotePeel has been accused of sexual abuse.[27]

To The Guardian in 1975, Peel said of young women, "All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do".[28] In an interview with The Sunday Correspondent in 1989, Peel stated, "Girls used to queue up outside. By and large not usually for shagging. Oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember. [...] One of my, er, regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13, though she looked older."[28][29][30] Peel joked that he "didn't ask for ID".[27] An interview originally published in The Herald in April 2004 stated that Peel admitted to sexual contact with "an awful lot" of underage girls. He claimed that, in the early 1960s, the only available women were in high school.[24]

His first marriage to Shirley Anne Milburn in 1965 has been cited as an example of misconduct as she was 15 years old when they wed,[31] while he was 25.[32] The marriage, which occurred in Texas, was legal at the time.[33]

In 2012, a woman claimed that she had a three-month affair with Peel in 1969 when she was 15 years old; Peel was 30.[34][27][35] She said they had unprotected sex; this was shortly after Peel discussed contracting a sexually transmitted disease.[34] The relationship resulted in a "traumatic" abortion.[31][34] She stated that, "looking back, it was terribly wrong and [she] was perhaps manipulated."[34]

Peel hosted a "Schoolgirl of the Year" competition on the Radio 1 show in the early 1970s.[33] Julie Burchill, writing for The Guardian in 1999, stated, "well into the Seventies, Peel was drooling on about "schoolgirls", in print and on air, where his Schoolgirl Of The Year competition was quietly laid to rest during punk's tenure."[28]

Though I can't find a source for the school girl of the year comp

Kankurette

Tool are being awkward bastards by leaving out most of the fan favourites. I'm devvoed at the thought of not seeing them do Jambi or Parabola. It's also been 15 years since I last saw them in Manchester.

Re Peel, I'd take Burchill more seriously if she hadn't defended Rod Liddle being a ginormous nonce.

The Mollusk

Oh yeah nah I know the nonce stuff, that's why I shouted it out. But it was still a very cringey thing to do.

Shaky

After a couple of years of bands I really wanted to see cancelling gigs on these Antipodean shores, I was given a Sigur Ros ricket for my recent birthday. Haven't listened to them beyond the first couple of albums, and a quick check to see what they've been up to reveals a spot of tax evasion and sexbeastery.  Sure to be a spectacle though, eh?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Shaky on May 02, 2022, 08:52:09 AMA quick check to see what they've been up to reveals a spot of tax evasion and sexbeastery.  Sure to be a spectacle though, eh?

Even worse I heard Jo Wiley play some Sigur Rós on her Momsnet BBC Radio 2 evening show and it fitted right in.

Kankurette

15 years is a long time between Tool gigs. Worth the wait, even if the awkward bastards didn't play the obvious ones like Schism, Stinkfist etc. we did get Hooker with a Penis though. Danny Carey was the highlight. He even got a solo slot.