Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

austin powers is fucking funny

Started by madhair60, May 02, 2022, 11:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I like all 3 movies, I think I might like the third one best because it's so stupid

"this is causing me serious psychological harm"

frajer

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 03, 2022, 08:17:50 AMWhat do people here think of the criticism that spoofing spy-thrillers of that era is redundant because the source material was already tongue-in-cheek much of the time? Tell me what to think.

It's an interesting point but I think it's always a genre that opens itself up to a comedy slant. It's cyclical too in that the spy films evolve to move away from the parodies, but then of course can be parodied all over again in different ways.

It was funny to see the ludicrous trope of Austin and Dr Evil being long lost brothers recycled so po-facedly in Spectre. (Unless it has seeds in the Fleming novels? Don't think so though.)

Anyway, love these films! First one is the best as others have said but I've got a huge soft spot for the sequels and there's some great laughs in all of them.

Sonny_Jim

WHO DOES NUMBER 2 WORK FOR?
That's right buddy, you tell that turd who's boss.

Watched the first one recently, eagerly awaiting the 'henchmans family receives a phone call' scene, only to get to the end of the film and not see it.  Then I watched the other 2 and it wasn't in them either.  Apparently it's a deleted scene so I assume they edit it in when they'd show it on terrestrial TV to pad it for advert breaks.

One of the best gags so I'm surprised they left it out.

Ok having googled it I'm even more confused, it's the one with Rob Lowe I remember but which film was it from?

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 03, 2022, 09:07:43 AMThe scene where he's trying to turn the roller around is insanely funny.

Whenever I get something stuck in a small space with little manoeuvring room, my head calls it an 'Austin Powers moment'

thr0b

You can deride Goldmember all you like, but the opening sequence with Cruise as Austin is worth the price alone. And then you get Danny DeVito as Fucking Mini Me.

frajer

Quote from: thr0b on May 03, 2022, 09:38:41 AMAnd then you get Danny DeVito as Fucking Mini Me.

"Hey ASSHOLES! It's me, Mini-Me!"

madhair60

The henchman scene is usually cut from the movie when it plays on TV, for expedience I suppose

madhair60

-AAAAAAAAAAAGH IT'S GODZILLA

-It looks like Godzilla, but due to international copyright law, it's not.

-STILL WE SHOULD RUN LIKE IT IS GODZILLA

-Though it isn't.

What a gloriously silly three films.

Old Nehamkin

Both of the "henchman's loved ones learn that they have died" scenes were present in the original international release of the film but not the American one. They were certainly there on the vhs copy that I grew up watching but I'm unsure about subsequent UK home media releases. It was quite a bizarre experience for me watching a torrent of the first film a couple of years back and realising that those scenes were missing. That whole gag was always one of the most memorable/representative bits of the film for me.

Joe Qunt

The Henchman's Family scene is the best part of all three films. Hands down.

AsparagusTrevor

I especially like the transition from steam-rolling to bread rolling

shoulders

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 03, 2022, 09:07:43 AMThe scene where he's trying to turn the roller around is insanely funny.

The pullaway to the sideshot, juxtaposed with that piercing scream, joyful top notch silliness.

shoulders

'Please help me, I am very badly burnt'

H-O-W-L

The second isn't that good but the bit where Austin and Basil are trying to figure out how the fuck time travel works and then Austin goes cross-eyed, before they both look at the camera and go "Just don't think too much about it." to the audience is great.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 03, 2022, 09:51:27 AMBoth of the "henchman's loved ones learn that they have died" scenes were present in the original international release of the film but not the American one. They were certainly there on the vhs copy that I grew up watching but I'm unsure about subsequent UK home media releases. It was quite a bizarre experience for me watching a torrent of the first film a couple of years back and realising that those scenes were missing. That whole gag was always one of the most memorable/representative bits of the film for me.

I have the dvd box set of all the films and can confirm that the henchmen's family scene is there in all it's glory.

Replies From View

Is it funny that there is an obese Scottish man who constantly shits himself and relishes it?  I've always hated those bits.

Utter Shit

I know we're disecting the frog here but for me it's the huge amount of effort he has to put in just to make the roller move a centimetre. And then obviously that centimetre is pointless anyway because he's completely stuck. Brilliant.

EDIT just realised I'm conflating two scenes, it was a cart not a roller, fucking idiot FUCK

madhair60

Fat Bastard isn't that funny except for the initial yell of I ATE A BABY

Old Nehamkin

I think the first Austin Powers was the first time I realised that one actor could play more than one character in the same film. I was probably 6 and I remember my mum telling me that Mike Myers played both Austin Powers and Dr. Evil. "But- but-" I stammered, "there are bits where they talk to each other!" She told me that it was done with trick photography but she might as well have just said it was magic. Properly blew my mind it did.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 03, 2022, 12:09:51 AMI think Myers has been talking about bringing it back for a while, which I don't see being anything other than embarrassing.

You could probably get a sketch's worth of good gags out of Powers being thawed in 2022 and finding himself in a Daniel Craig-style gritty Bond movie where everybody else plays it completely straight. His initial camp joviality being gradually eroded as people are getting their heads smashed through bathroom sinks etc

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 03, 2022, 08:17:50 AMI didn't think it was possible to laugh at a film so hard as I did during the Jerry Springer sequence.

"You were born in your mother's ass!"

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 03, 2022, 10:37:45 AMI was probably 6

Can we please put a stop on everyone currently being only about 10 years old??

Replies From View

Quote from: Evian Mousemat on May 03, 2022, 10:38:06 AMYou could probably get a sketch's worth of good gags out of Powers being thawed in 2022 and finding himself in a Daniel Craig-style gritty Bond movie where everybody else plays it completely straight. His initial camp joviality being gradually eroded as people are getting their heads smashed through bathroom sinks etc

He could be deeply baffled saying "smart phones" and "blue tooth" and things lol

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Decapitated by an ill-tempered mutated seabass?"

The first is my favourite, although that could just be due to familiarity. I watched it countless times on vhs, whereas I've only seen the sequels once or twice. I suppose one criticism you could level at the sequels is that they rehash too many gags.

Apparently, Doctor Evil was based on a Lorne Michaels impression, that Myers nicked off Dana Carvey. I still think the character is great, but it's a bit rotten that Myers went on to make one meellion dollars (at least) while Carvey languished. Is The Master of Disguise as bad as the reviews said?

JamesTC

The henchmen's families and the Christian Slater bit from the first film were in the international version of the first film only. Despite being some of the best bits.

It ended up being cheaper for me to buy the American trilogy on blu-ray (region free) and then pick up the UK blu-ray of the first film separately.

If anybody hasn't seen the first film, ensure you watch the international version instead of the US version.

shoulders

Quote from: madhair60 on May 03, 2022, 10:34:39 AMFat Bastard isn't that funny except for the initial yell of I ATE A BABY

Also whenever Dr Evil says 'Fat Bastard' (for some reason none of the other actors manage to make it sound funny).

'His name......: Fat Bastard' is an instant laugh.

The character is a lot less funnier than the concept.

Quote from: Replies From View on May 03, 2022, 10:46:34 AMHe could be deeply baffled saying "smart phones" and "blue tooth" and things lol

I suppose

H-O-W-L

Replies From View

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 03, 2022, 10:47:18 AMApparently, Doctor Evil was based on a Lorne Michaels impression, that Myers nicked off Dana Carvey. I still think the character is great, but it's a bit rotten that Myers went on to make one meellion dollars (at least) while Carvey languished. Is The Master of Disguise as bad as the reviews said?

Always thought it was unfair to say he stole it from Carvey. Anyone who has ever worked at SNL has an impression of Lorne Michaels, it's not like Carvey invented the Dr. Evil character. If Myers can do the voice, let him do it. Carvey can be a very good performer, but his impressions were hardly groundbreaking.