Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

BritishHobo

A braver joke from Ricky Gervais would be one about what it's like to be a female comedian who's treated as a crazy bitch liar because they told the truth about his mate Louis CK sexually harassing them. Doubted and ridiculed for years online, with fuck-all done to make it up to them when CK belatedly admitted they'd been right all along. But despite what the fucking idiots he's now cultivated as his audience say, Gervais doesn't have even 0.01% of the bravery of them. Ooh, you go on stage as a rich celebrity and say celebrities are too rich and Tom Cruise is gay and Caitlyn Jenner is weird do you? Oh, give him a medal for bravery.

frajer

Ugh the weasel really does know his audience, doesn't he.

I remember early in his stand-up he made a crack about "sending gypsies back" or something like that, and in a later interview Gervais said he was mortified that someone in the audience cheered him. He said he shouldn't have to come out on stage calling himself "Billy Bigot" in order to tell what were clearly ironic jokes.

Looking back it seems clear that he wasn't mortified about perpetuating dangerous attitudes, but was actually annoyed that he wasn't "allowed" to do jokes that chimed well with racist scum.

Well, he seems to have gotten over that now anyway so good for him.

Des Wigwam

One thing that surprises me is that his audience don't find it patronising having the irony gimmick explained to them over and over. Or, in fact, having the jokes explained to them immediately after.

They must be very thick.

BritishHobo

I bet there's a lot of them thinking "oh he's just saying that bit about irony to cover himself, we all know he means it - bloody unfunny women comedians".

RicoMNKN

As with the Jimmy Carr gypsy joke, there are audible cheers in amongst the laughs for that.

Interesting comment from fajer, as I'd always just assumed Gervais has too much of an ego to consider that a cheer may not be for the quality of joke, but if he's aware what a cheer to an ironically bigoted comment means then he doesn't really have that excuse. 

Some comments under the video:

Quote from: A user who has a 'politics' playlist of Fox news anti-BLM contentRicky Gervais is the lifeboat on a sinking ship that is Netflix. As long as NF turns it self around from the all the woke trash, they may have a chance.

QuoteHe didn't make any jokes. He made a series of factual statements that happened to funny!!

QuoteMen try to be funny to impress women. Women don't need to be funny because men are already impress by a woman who shows any interest in them.

QuoteIf you have not seen, "Derek" yet....do so. xo

idunnosomename

QuoteIt's sad that in today's culture, he has to walk people through how a joke works 🤦�♀️
QuotePeople are going to try to cancel this so hard. What a legend
QuoteRicky Gervais is a comedy genius 🤣

up_the_hampipe

Before he can even make his argument about irony, I love that his audience completely undermine it by cheering the joke about female comedians.

Des Wigwam

QuoteB.B_is_here
5 hours ago
I'm excited to see him on Netflix with his new stuff. Breath of fresh air compared to all that Netflix have been trying to push on to stay relevant and quiet the cancel mob.

There's just not enough main stream stuff on global streaming platforms.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on May 03, 2022, 01:50:32 AMIf Stewart Lee sued a ludicrously balding man (for merely stealing material that was several decades old), his CaB rep would be in tatters.

Step carefully, Lee.

My apologies to mr gervais, the purloined material is ~17 years old, not several decades. I regret the error.

Ron Superior

I've been hearing that a lot recently. What is all the "woke" stuff that Netflix are supposed to make?

Is this all because of Nanette? And Nanette wasn't even that "woke", just saying don't beat up lesbians.

Thomas

Now. What I said about female comics isn't true. But what your reaction tells us about what I said about female comics...

Video Game Fan 2000

I know all the funny genders

men

all the funny genders

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 03, 2022, 08:14:59 AMGod, that really is all he's got, isn't it? The fact that his trailer is just him explaining the "irony" excuse really shows how thin his material is.

I think he was ironically explaining it. He knew everyone knew, but he was making fun of the idea that they didn't.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 03, 2022, 03:02:22 PMI think he was ironically explaining it. He knew everyone knew, but he was making fun of the idea that they didn't.

I think he was making sure all the safety equipment was in place for him to say it for the part of his audience that genuinely think you can't say anything these days, and also using that to bolster the thicko part of his audience that hate thinking for themselves and love the party line to be repeated ad nauseam. 

That covers all his audience.

olliebean

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 03, 2022, 01:36:28 PMI've been hearing that a lot recently. What is all the "woke" stuff that Netflix are supposed to make?

Is this all because of Nanette? And Nanette wasn't even that "woke", just saying don't beat up lesbians.

I think "woke" = "anything with women in it who aren't wives/girlfriends/secretaries/prostitutes."

Ferris

The joy of being a Woke-Finder General is that "wokeness" doesn't actually need to be present in the material itself for it to be condemned; it's just the way they are, you know, the ones who commission it.

You know what I mean, can't say anything reprehensible these days. Disgusting.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 03, 2022, 01:36:28 PMI've been hearing that a lot recently. What is all the "woke" stuff that Netflix are supposed to make?

I suspect it has more to do with their deal with Prince Harry and EVIL MEGHAN. Stuff like the Invictus Games documentary- is that woke or not? It's got disabled people, but also Are Brave Boys. And EVIL MEGHAN- so on balance it probably is woke, yeah. It could feature a competitive fox hunting event and it'd still be woke.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Cuellar on May 03, 2022, 09:13:53 AMEven he sounds tired of it all

It's also basically a reprise of the scene in Extras where his character is asked to name 'one funny black British comedian'.

Martin Van Buren Stan

So Netflix paid $45 million for two of his shows. If those shows attract four million subscribers for one month, they'll have just about made a profit. Seems realistic.

Blue Jam

Replies From View

Quote from: phes on April 09, 2019, 03:20:47 PMRicky Gervais doing AIDS jokes is probably an indication of the last time he was sexually active when his wife wanted to fuck him

If we're going to be devastatingly self-aware here, CaB isn't impartial to a spot of the old AIDS jokery itself.

Replies From View

Quote from: Konki on May 30, 2019, 07:13:12 PMI've not read the thread yet but there's a review up on the Guardian site: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/may/30/ricky-gervais-review-liam-neeson-louis-ck-netflix-supernature

The comments are astonishing. My favourite so far:

QuoteMore necessary than ever. Great comic mind.

Needs a comma.

"Adequate comedian, mind you."

Replies From View

Quote from: Mobius on May 30, 2019, 11:39:25 PMAt least Merchant isn't a wanker.

In the Pilkington context Merchant was the Richard Hammond to Gervais' Jeremy Clarkson.  The lickspittle bully facilitator who leapt up and down with joy as someone else was bullied, grateful that it wasn't him.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 16, 2019, 11:39:03 PMOH FUCK OFF

Get your tickets here- only £38.50:

https://troxy.co.uk/event/richard-dawkins-and-ricky-gervais-in-conversation/

I'm an atheist and I would honestly rather go to church than go to this.

It would be an inexplicably funny image simply by overlaying Dawkins' shoulder over Gervais' shoulder without adjusting the scale of their respective heads.

Just realised I'm replying to posts 3 years old - sorry!

olliebean

Fuck me, imagine thinking that anything new from Gervais was even remotely "necessary."

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2022, 12:00:03 PM24th of May for this:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/ricky-gervais-supernature-stand-up-special-netflix-premiere-date-1235014372/

Hatewatch-along anyone?

I hope he makes a crass joke and imitates someone using a typewriter to say how offended they are https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnle98

Presumably he's old enough to have used a typewriter when he was young but he can't even mime one properly. Unless someone's complaining in Arabic.

The Mollusk

Imagine doing a routine about irony in 2022. People have either moved on to grim post-irony or they're still just bigots who find jokes about hating women funny. Pathetic understanding of where the wider world's sense of humour is at right now.