Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:42:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Cook hated Robert Shaw

Started by Keebleman, May 03, 2022, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Well he seems to have done based on this strange Dick Cavett clip recently uploaded to YouTube.  He's giving Shaw an absolute death stare and Shaw is properly discomfited by it.

phantom_power

It sounds like the are eskimo brothers and Cook doesn't like that fact. Serious John Lydon vibes from him at times. They seem to be more alpha pissheads sparring with each other than full-on rucking though

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on May 03, 2022, 02:14:13 PMIt sounds like the are eskimo brothers and Cook doesn't like that fact. Serious John Lydon vibes from him at times.

Lydon did admit once that Drimble Wedge And The Vegetation from Bedazzled (1967) made a big impression on him. That, and Olivier's performance of Richard The Third.

I highly recommend the play 'The Shark Is Broken' written by his son, Ian and Joseph Dixon. The play did present his father as difficult and a surly drunk. Although, there were also very thoughtful and kind qualities too, so clearly a complex man.  He died aged 51 in 1978 of a heart attack. It can't have been too long after this Cavett interview. What year is it? Was Shaw that much older than Cook?

Keebleman

This was 1973.  There was only about 10 years between the two, but Cook's fame was based in part on how young he was when success struck.

shoulders

Quote from: phantom_power on May 03, 2022, 02:14:13 PMSerious John Lydon vibes from him at times

Can't believe I never made that connection but yeah, wow, that's spot on.

Neomod

This came up in my YT recs recently and that was some serious side eye Cookie was giving Shaw.

They really should have sorted out their differences by having a sped up fight in a train carriage.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Keebleman on May 03, 2022, 02:43:00 PMThis was 1973.  There was only about 10 years between the two, but Cook's fame was based in part on how young he was when success struck.

Ah right, I think it's Cook's premature greying hair that deceived me. He's only 36 here but looks older.

The Bumlord

Quote from: shoulders on May 03, 2022, 02:58:55 PMCan't believe I never made that connection but yeah, wow, that's spot on.

I'm sure Cook once complained that Lydon nicked his sneer.

Ray Travez

Quote from: phantom_power on May 03, 2022, 02:14:13 PMSerious John Lydon vibes from him at times.

I was watching a documentary last night, The Public Image is Rotten, and there is one bit where Lydon not only has a similar body-language, he also looks like him. It's quite weird.

I believe Cook felt that Rotten had ripped him off (edit, as The Bumlord says above), but it's probably more a homage.

pigamus

Quote from: Neomod on May 03, 2022, 03:22:57 PMThis came up in my YT recs recently and that was some serious side eye Cookie was giving Shaw.

He's got the cold dead eyes of a... wait a minute hang on

shoulders

I get that the beef was about them having had a relationship/encounter with the same person. As far as Cook's demeanour goes, do you reckon he'd found out something awful about Shaw (violent drunk, maybe? Totally guessing).

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 03, 2022, 03:27:14 PMI'm sure Cook once complained that Lydon nicked his sneer.

Cook did a parody of the sex pistols on Derek and Clive didn't he?

Keebleman

Quote from: shoulders on May 03, 2022, 03:42:37 PMI get that the beef was about them having had a relationship/encounter with the same person. As far as Cook's demeanour goes, do you reckon he'd found out something awful about Shaw (violent drunk, maybe? Totally guessing).

Yeah, that's what I assumed - sleeping with one of Cook's wives.  As for Shaw being a violent drunk, I think most people would've been disappointed had he not been.  He was even married to one at one point (Mary Ure).

zomgmouse

i think they're just messing about

The Ombudsman

Quote from: zomgmouse on May 05, 2022, 02:34:15 AMi think they're just messing about

Me too. Bit of an odd segment but you could see Cook holding in a smirk.

millwall32

Yep, that seems to be genuine hate Cook's throwing at him around 47 seconds in.

Harvey Milk

I don't think Peter cared for that remark of Dudley's at the end. "When Peter's drunk, you just try to forget."

What a strange interview. Don't see how you can explain it away as 'British banter'.

Quote from: Keebleman on May 03, 2022, 01:54:59 PMWell he seems to have done based on this strange Dick Cavett clip recently uploaded to YouTube.  He's giving Shaw an absolute death stare and Shaw is properly discomfited by it.

Both were raving dipsos. Dipsos are always falling out over something or other.

kalowski

I always smile at this story from Shaw's agent, John French.
"At the dinner party Robert said, 'My wife won't let me bugger her. My first wife used to love it but Mary says it hurts too much," to which Mary responded with 'Robert, you're such an areshole, why don't you just fuck yourself?'"