Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 14

Started by MigraineBoy, March 23, 2022, 06:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

I know 13 hasn't aired yet, but the studio record tickets for s14 are now available: https://www.sroaudiences.com/
(April 28, 29 & May 3, 4, 5)

Shouldn't be too long until we find out the line-up, but it looks like
Spoiler alert
Sarah Millican
[close]
is a good shout, having recently cancelled gigs on those dates due to "unavoidable filming commitments".

Timotheit4

Quite keen to know the contestants too, always nice having something to look forward to.

Especially nice when the season airs and they completely shatter all your expectations

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Timotheit4 on April 29, 2022, 04:49:12 PMQuite keen to know the contestants too, always nice having something to look forward to.

Especially nice when the season airs and they completely shatter all your expectations

Rhys James is another name thrown around because he Instagrammed from the Taskmaster house last year.

Munya Chawawa posted this morning he had "10 shoots in the next 5 days" but the tapings started yesterday, until next Thursday so it doesn't quite marry up but it is possible. Especially as this afternoon he sat in a dressing room with what looks like Taskmaster on his laptop: https://i.ibb.co/4RFp21r/66023-BD7-AF96-4-D09-B8-D9-4-E69844-D1719.jpg

Daisy Haggard is another possibility - and would fit the Katherine Parkinson, Charlotte Richie, Morgana casting that Taskmaster likes; funny actress rather than stand-up.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Vroomo on April 29, 2022, 05:28:41 PMRhys James is another name thrown around because he Instagrammed from the Taskmaster house last year.
Rhys James
Rhys Thomas
Rhys Darby
Reece Shearsmith
Rhesus Monkey

Facetiousness aside, one of the League of Gentleman would be good. Pemberton would be my vote.

I'd quite like a general public version of Taskmaster for one year, just to see how it would play out. Probably with a shortened series.

Twilkes

I've never seen it, but wasn't that what the TV show The Button was? It seemed to disappear after it was broadcast though.

See also Hometasking throughout lockdown, some pretty good videos submitted to that. Not sure the panel section would work at all though.

Please no Kemah Bob, the voice carries a lot of the laughs for some people but their actual routine is very very bad and it seems to boil down to laughs through sounding quirky. Watch the first video that comes up when you Google them (two girls one cup) to see what I mean, woeful.

MigraineBoy

Someone on Instagram who was at the taping said "we were surprised by D - he was our favourite."

I'm beginning to think it's:

Darren Harriott
Munya Chawawa
Rhys James
Sarah Millican

& either Diane Morgan or Daisy Haggard

Frank Wank

Season 14 cast

Spoiler alert
Dara O'Brien

Fern Brady

John Kearns

Munya Chawawa

Sarah Millican

[close]

Twilkes

Quote from: Frank Wank on May 04, 2022, 09:16:16 AMSeason 14 cast

Holy shit I've slept with at least two of them!

Ron Superior

Decent enough line up, no ones I'd massively object to, and the bigger names could be good fun. Very pleased about
Spoiler alert
Fern
[close]
, think she should be great.

Spoiler alert
Dara O'Brien

Fern Brady

John Kearns

Munya Chawawa

Sarah Millican

[close]

The middle three excite me a lot. I don't like the last person on the list's work, but think they'll work ok on here. The first person on the list is an absolute humour vacuum as far as I'm concerned, but I'll happily be proved wrong.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 04, 2022, 10:40:20 AMI don't like the last person on the list's work, but think they'll work ok on here.

I feel the same about the first person really. I think they'll approach it with the right mindset (for someone like them) of not being too competitive and not tossing it off, but also trying to be inventive. Not that I think they'll be a great contestant, but I think they could be a good complimentary piece of the cast.

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 04, 2022, 10:50:37 AMI feel the same about the first person really. I think they'll approach it with the right mindset (for someone like them) of not being too competitive and not tossing it off, but also trying to be inventive. Not that I think they'll be a great contestant, but I think they could be a good complimentary piece of the cast.

Yeah, you might be right there actually. And I've been very wrong about who'll be good/bad before (I thought Herring would be a right laugh!).

Spoiler alert
John Kearns is an inspired choice though. I'd never considered him for this. The idea of him being given ten hours to be daft on Channel 4 is really exciting.
[close]

MigraineBoy

Seat 3 is one of those Taskmaster contestants that seems so obvious now it's written down, but I don't think I'd have considered them ever.

g0m

Spoiler alert
Dara O'Brien

Fern Brady

John Kearns

Munya Chawawa

Sarah Millican

[close]

That honestly sounds fantastic

I'm not sure it's possible to predict who'll be good and who'll be crap (or maybe I'm just bad at it). Just because someone can deliver a rehearsed joke well, it doesn't mean they'll react to a task in a funny way. The quality of the tasks is another variable, of course.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 04, 2022, 10:40:20 AMThe first person on the list is an absolute humour vacuum as far as I'm concerned, but I'll happily be proved wrong.

They were apparantly very helpful in assisting the more novice ones when it came to floor management and continuity stuff though, so maybe a good egg.

jimboslice

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 04, 2022, 02:59:35 PMI'm not sure it's possible to predict who'll be good and who'll be crap (or maybe I'm just bad at it). Just because someone can deliver a rehearsed joke well, it doesn't mean they'll react to a task in a funny way. The quality of the tasks is another variable, of course.

Rewatching at the minute, and I think Tim Vine has to be the most disappointing contestant so far. Not the worst by any stretch, but for some reason I expected a lot more from him. The opposite is true for Tarbuck actually.

I was also disappointed by Vine, but he did at least wear a funny costume. I assume the contestants choose their outfit - it would have been rather dodgy if the showrunners made Phil Wang wear the Bruce Lee costume.

We seem to get this fevered speculation before every new series and I can't help but think, "What is point?" The show lives and dies on the unpredictable, almost anagram, combination of cast and task. "Eat loads of watermelon" could have been a boring task, but Tim Key and Romesh Ranganathan went nuts and it ended up being hilarious.

Not that I'm saying people should stop speculating.

selectivememory

I found Vine very charming and amusingly odd. Easily the highlight of that otherwise fairly weak series for me.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 05, 2022, 12:56:44 PMI was also disappointed by Vine, but he did at least wear a funny costume. I assume the contestants choose their outfit - it would have been rather dodgy if the showrunners made Phil Wang wear the Bruce Lee costume.

They do choose the outfit - so production can have multiples in case of them getting wet or damaged during tasks.

Johnny Vegas was to be a Jedi IIRC but they couldn't clear it.

Quote from: Vroomo on May 05, 2022, 01:23:21 PMThey do choose the outfit - so production can have multiples in case of them getting wet or damaged during tasks.
Now I want to see a series where they only have the one set of clothes and it gets increasingly bedraggled each week. Someone gets caught in a cartoon explosion and spends the rest of the series covered in soot.

MigraineBoy

After the Steampunk 12 & the Día de los Muertos 13, any idea what the theme is for 14?

Bad Ambassador

Watching Man Down again has me imagining Rik Mayall on Taskmaster. Now I'm very sad that it will never happen.

SteveDave

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 07, 2022, 01:24:15 PMWatching Man Down again has me imagining Rik Mayall on Taskmaster. Now I'm very sad that it will never happen.

Adrian Edmonson as the befuddled old man contestant would be quite nice though.

oggyraiding

Quote from: SteveDave on June 17, 2022, 11:36:21 AMAdrian Edmonson as the befuddled old man contestant would be quite nice though.

He always comes across as very boring in any situation where he is not playing a character.

MigraineBoy

Just listened to Dara O'Briain on the latest RHLSTP (recorded in April).

Dara was lamenting how he's never done Taskmaster & how "I know what my chair is" in reference to filling the befuddled old man role.

Oh, I do hope one day his wish comes true.