Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle attacked on stage

Started by Flouncer, May 04, 2022, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

Chappelle was "rushed and attacked" by a man who got on stage during the 'Netflix is a Joke Festival' at the Hollywood Bowl.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61317901

Of course he couldn't prevent himself from using the incident to bash trans people, quipping that the attacker was a trans man. There's a bit of audience footage of the incident, and of the injured bloke being carted off in an ambulance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTZMTuVW70

Martin Van Buren Stan

The Will Smith effect? Everyone thinks it's their duty to physically attack comedians now

bgmnts

Seems like the world of comedy is just devolving into a seedy little scrap.

willbo

seedy little men with seedy little jokes

chip

Quote from: Flouncer on May 04, 2022, 11:20:25 AMOf course he couldn't prevent himself from using the incident to bash trans people, quipping that the attacker was a trans man.

It wasn't really a 'bash' of anyone at all. More a quip, as you say.

madhair60

Quote from: chip on May 04, 2022, 12:01:01 PMIt wasn't really a 'bash' of anyone at all. More a quip, as you say.

A quip to reinforce his previous bashing

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: bgmnts on May 04, 2022, 11:23:13 AMSeems like the world of comedy is just devolving into a seedy little scrap.

The Bumlord

His arm's on backwards as he's being taken to the ambulance. I'm not a doctor but I'm guessing that'll smart in the morning.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 04, 2022, 01:33:18 PMHis arm's on backwards as he's being taken to the ambulance. I'm not a doctor but I'm guessing that'll smart in the morning.

Sure it wasn't a cock on there?

The Bumlord

Bigfella

Bearing in mind the other thread about deteriorating audience behaviour, I hope a trend isn't developing here.  I'll admit that I'm looking forward to posts about Louis CK being 'beaten off' and Gervais getting a punt up the khyber, but in all seriousness, the stage is the stage.  Heckling is inevitable to a certain extent.  Hooks to the jaw shouldn't become the 'new new'.

Bigfella

End of my post should read 'new normal'.

Pdine

This is the aspect I find intriguing:

QuoteThe Los Angeles Police Department confirmed the incident, telling NBC Los Angeles that the male suspect had been armed with a replica gun that could eject a knife blade when discharged correctly. It was unclear if the suspect made an attempt to use the weapon.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dave-chappelle-attacked-onstage-performance-hollywood-bowl-rcna27239

Knife-firing gun? Gun-shaped sheath? Ill-thought-through knife-smuggling plan?

QDRPHNC

I think more comedians should be attacked onstage.

Mr_Simnock

phantom_power

I read that Chappelle and his entourage beat the shit out of him afterwards, hence the broken arms, but I am not sure if there is any evidence for this

The Mollusk

What is it with multi-millionaires dressing like total crap? That thing of rolling your shirt up only once at the cuff does my fucking head in.

The Mollusk

Quote from: phantom_power on May 04, 2022, 02:17:04 PMI read that Chappelle and his entourage beat the shit out of him afterwards, hence the broken arms, but I am not sure if there is any evidence for this

Well, there is this:

QuoteChappelle joked: "I've been doing this 35 years. I just stomped a [person] backstage. I've always wanted to do that."

g0m

Look. No matter what your opinion about Dave Chappelle, you have to admit, there's never ANY good reason to physically assault a performer like this, unless of course you don't like them

Malcy

Enjoyed the fact that Chris Rock got onstage and asked if it was Will Smith!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on May 04, 2022, 02:17:04 PMI read that Chappelle and his entourage beat the shit out of him afterwards, hence the broken arms, but I am not sure if there is any evidence for this

Footage of the beating: https://twitter.com/jedsimon/status/1521749146461368320

madhair60

Quote from: Malcy on May 04, 2022, 02:34:25 PMEnjoyed the fact that Chris Rock got onstage and asked if it was Will Smith!

i didn't, I thought it was rubbish, especially Jamie Foxx's subsequent fawning over the transphobic cunt

The Mollusk

Quote from: g0m on May 04, 2022, 02:29:44 PMLook. No matter what your opinion about Dave Chappelle, you have to admit, there's never ANY good reason to physically assaulting a performer like this, unless of course you don't like them

Of course not, it's bollocks and absolutely a symptom of the same singular sense of entitlement individuals flex on social media, as if their one world view in a sea of millions of other shit opinions is absolutely right and should be acknowledged the world over.

It's especially fucked because, as Chappelle demonstrated immediately after the assault, all it does is fuel the fire of people like him who can't wait to make another shitty comment, the lowest common denominator of shit that immediately springs to their brain because they know they're in hot water and love the power that attention gives them.

For I am Dave Chappelle, far too high and mighty to be toppled by the physicality or even the intellect of my detractors. For every head you chop off, another two knee jerk transphobic babbling mouths rasp out of the neck hole. And that makes you so angry! Ha ha ha!

BritishHobo

This looks like the shittest comedy gig ever

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 04, 2022, 02:59:40 PMThis looks like the shittest comedy gig ever

Surely a line-up with Jon Stewart, Chris Rock and Michelle Wolf can't be that bad. Just a shame that Jimmy Carr and Glinner era Chappelle were also performing.

Quote from: madhair60 on May 04, 2022, 02:44:05 PMi didn't, I thought it was rubbish

It's an easy gag, but in that moment to reset the room and with Chris Rock being there, it kind of needed to be said.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 04, 2022, 11:21:12 AMThe Will Smith effect? Everyone thinks it's their duty to physically attack comedians now
It's about danm time

This kind of culture could have prevented gervais

Video Game Fan 2000

We're told over and over to only punch up and one guy is on a literal platform and given money to show up.

Utter Shit

I'd say it's possible to recognise that this doesn't solve anything and arguably makes things worse, while also finding some base enjoyment in seeing a cunt get a long-deserved slap.

PlanktonSideburns

Never bring a gun-knife to a knife-gun fight.

Getting your security team to break his arms looses you a bit of the moral high ground surely?