Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

I believe Elon's starting bid was estimated at "What the fuck is Glindr?"

Ayasakura

DenzilHolles

What/where is the 'chat' referrered to in that? I can see the twitter account but still not sure what it means exactly.

Shaxberd

I'm out of the loop with this one - which court case is this, and how long have court cases had livestream with chat?

Sonny_Jim

Basically, you can livestream the Allison Bailey tribunal, but you had to register beforehand to get the link.

Ex_GC

And GCs are in the chat with names like ITerfalldaylong and No/Ta (clown/clownself). Embarrassing

Ayasakura

Yeah, it's Alison Bailey's trial. Same person pointed out that they're allowing chat because they're sharing evidence bundles through it and also using it as a public gallery but I reckon they might reconsider this in future...

Ex_GC

We're told this is a landmark case. That half a million was needed to fight it. That it could be one of the cases that will 'peak' the world and bring Stonewall to its knees. And here they are larking about in the comments with juvenile nicknames

Pimhole

And they're doing this WHILST Bailey is on the stand trying to make out like she's not transphobic and it's not about hating trans people. Hilarious.

Ex_GC

I know, they really aren't helping her at all. Brain worms so advanced that they can't see how this looks to neutral people

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 05, 2022, 03:14:25 PMWe're told this is a landmark case. That half a million was needed to fight it. That it could be one of the cases that will 'peak' the world and bring Stonewall to its knees. And here they are larking about in the comments with juvenile nicknames

It really shows what pathetic little shitheads they are at heart. I've met schoolyard bullies with more maturity ffs.

Ex_GC

What does everyone predict the outcome of this case will be?

phantom_power

And they claim to be the sensible ones who are always polite and friendly.

Does anyone know what Bailley's collapse and hospitalisation was about? Presumably she is up and about and in court now?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 05, 2022, 03:28:19 PMWhat does everyone predict the outcome of this case will be?

hanged by the neck until dead

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 05, 2022, 03:28:19 PMWhat does everyone predict the outcome of this case will be?

No idea, leave it to the judge to wade through.

There's just so much going on.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 05, 2022, 03:14:25 PMWe're told this is a landmark case. That half a million was needed to fight it. That it could be one of the cases that will 'peak' the world and bring Stonewall to its knees. And here they are larking about in the comments with juvenile nicknames
It was on the front page of BBC News yesterday, which I thought was bizarre even by their standards. If the media weren't so determinedly transphobic, it would just be a non-story about some dickhead, bigoted lawyer chancing it an employment tribunal.

Quote from: phantom_power on May 05, 2022, 03:37:04 PMDoes anyone know what Bailley's collapse and hospitalisation was about?

cough cough *extra £100k on the crowdfunder* cough cough

Ex_GC

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 05, 2022, 03:47:37 PMIt was on the front page of BBC News yesterday, which I thought was bizarre even by their standards. If the media weren't so determinedly transphobic, it would just be a non-story about some dickhead, bigoted lawyer chancing it an employment tribunal.

It just seems like such a pointless waste of time

Said it before and I'll say it again, there's rarely anything landmark about employment tribunal cases. I've had a skim through her statement and lots of it seems to be utterly irrelevant when the complaint is that the employer investigated her for clashing with an external scheme to which they are signed.

ETs are capricious, occasionally flanked by lay members (some cunt from the Better Business Bureau perhaps), and not the grounds for establishing the definitive 'truth' for what passes in workplaces. A colleague refers to tribunal judges as part-time fascists on account of their perpetual sympathy towards the employer. Siding with Bailey here undermines any concept of managers being able to exercise their prerogative in terms of using policies that they have either designed or adopted. I expect 'we take expert opinion from outside on certain topics and where there are clashes with those policies we always investigate' is entirely adequate to cover their arses. It doesn't even especially matter if the policy is nonsense as long as it's consistent really. And as far as I can tell from her crowdfunder and skimming that statement, she's only really faced investigation and no penalty as a result.

But even with all that said, it doesn't matter what the outcome is in terms of an ideological truth. They are inconsistent, and not designed to make decisions on matters of law, just matters of fact based on what has been presented. She might get a pay out and it might be large, but it's not a matter of some sort of cosmic ruling that gives carte blanche to ignore Stonewall in every workplace. They all went about that 'protected in law' thing about GC beliefs, but it's only protected in the same way that someone can't be sacked for being a member of the BNP. 'Genuine political belief' is the measure, and that's fairly broad. It doesn't mean there won't be contexts where someone gets sacked for saying migrant boats should be shot and the ET deny the claim, or another where it's said and doesn't even get to HR.

So odd to me that this has become the terrain for culture wars.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 05, 2022, 03:47:37 PMIt was on the front page of BBC News yesterday, which I thought was bizarre even by their standards. If the media weren't so determinedly transphobic, it would just be a non-story about some dickhead, bigoted lawyer chancing it an employment tribunal.

The future of women hangs in the balance. Like, literally the future of women. All the women will be gone. It could not be more important, which is why Graham picked No/Ta (clown/clownself) for the occasion.

Mindy Simmons

Congratulations on admitting you are indeed an utter clown, Glinney-poos!

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 05, 2022, 03:55:28 PM@drummersaredeaf thanks for the very detailed response

Or boring and muddled!

To make a parallel point about a contentious political issue, you could be sacked from a job because of your views on Israel - assuming you vocalise them in a way that made colleagues uncomfortable, like being told to stop bringing leaflets in and continuing - or because it clashed with the employer's advocacy for example. Or even more parallel to this case, they have adopted an external definition.

In that case you might get a token payout, or even a bigger one in certain circumstances, but by no means is it a ruling on the validity of the state of Israel.

These ETs are a legacy of an attempt to disrupt trade union power in the 1970s by individualising and disrupting employee grievances from being managed collectively and informally. They're set up to occasionally compensate hard-done-to employees, and absolutely not to stop managers running businesses how they want to.

jobotic

They really do think that being a transphobic bigot is a protected characteristic don't they?

dead-ced-dead

This is so weird, I'm re-watching Father Ted for the first time since I learned about the Bananacuntification. I thought I'd be more uncomfortable with it, but it's still hilarious.

The weird thing is, the episode where they turn The Holy Stone into a class 2 relic, one of the Bishops is a raving, monomaniacal loon who keeps banging on about media bias written by bearded lefties. He's treated as one of the villains (hence why Father Jack rams The Holy Stone up his arse because he's annoying him so much). It's so weird that BC has become that Bishop.

Ex_GC

It's so sad what he has become and how he was tanked his own legacy and reputation

frajer

The judge's comment of "I don't know what it's about but it sounds mocking" is a good summary of how the average person perceives all of Graham Linehan's output for the past 5 years, if they're even aware of him at all anymore.

I follow these threads and I can barely comprehend half of what the bananas cunt is raving about.