Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle attacked on stage

Started by Flouncer, May 04, 2022, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

What is the charge? Concealing a succulent knife-gun?

Etc

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 04, 2022, 08:44:37 PMAmerica is a very vengeful society. The death penalty, hellish prisons, bullying in highschool. Often it's not enough to catch and imprison, they must also suffer. They want their pound of flesh.

If there was a cop with a gun there he'd be very lucky to be alive.

This is a very dramatic leap to apply to this incident. This is not just an American thing, people are going to have less sympathy if you start the fight, especially if they like the guy that has just been physically attacked unprovoked. "Fuck around and find out" is a mentality that is recognised the world over.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 04, 2022, 07:58:23 PMProbably the best footage of the tackle and aftermath here https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1521866646595391488

Really weird to see Jimmy Carr involved in this sort of scene.

But aye, the man stormed a stage with a gun/knife at a high-profile public event, tried to attack the person on stage, ran backstage and then tried to fight off everyone trying to restrain him (in another video, it looks as though he's still trying to fight the police outside). It's never nice to see someone being pummeled, but it's not exactly undeserved in this instance.

BritishHobo

Hate it when a cunt attacks a cunt. Oh just give the cunt the moral high ground why don't you you fucking cunt

Kankurette

Chappelle is a cunt but I don't want this setting a precedent. If you don't like a comedian, walk. Don't try to attack them.

Cold Meat Platter

By far the most interesting thing about this even taking into account the context of #MeToo and the recent regressive attempts to roll back women's rights in the U.S. is still the gunknife/knifegun. Does anyone know where you can get one of those?

Retinend

I like that he smuggled a knife into the hollywood bowl in the form of a gun. Reverse psychology I guess.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 05, 2022, 03:28:45 AMBy far the most interesting thing about this even taking into account the context of #MeToo and the recent regressive attempts to roll back women's rights in the U.S. is still the gunknife/knifegun. Does anyone know where you can get one of those?

America.

jobotic

Guns innit? If I wanted to smuggle sweets and a can of coke into the cinema in the USA I'd stick 'em in a massive gun. Who would challenge me?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 05, 2022, 03:28:45 AMBy far the most interesting thing about this even taking into account the context of #MeToo and the recent regressive attempts to roll back women's rights in the U.S. is still the gunknife/knifegun. Does anyone know where you can get one of those?

They're a rare drop in Final Fantasy 8.

thenoise

Look i hate to be all "both sides" again, but the fact that the guy was a jerk who put himself in a dangerous situation - maybe even "deserved" a beating, whatever that means - doesn't absolve the security staff of their moral obligation to use force only as much a necessary, especially when it comes to refraining from seriously harming the guy when he is fully restrained and no longer a threat. It is their job, which they are presumably trained for.

Also worth reminding ourselves that the ambulance that they sent the guy away in will shortly be sending him a bill.

up_the_hampipe

They weren't security, it was Chappelle's entourage and other performers. 

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: thenoise on May 05, 2022, 07:28:36 PMAlso worth reminding ourselves that the ambulance that they sent the guy away in will shortly be sending him a bill.

A bill for cuffing his pretzel shaped arm to the bed. Hate to admit I laughed out loud at the sheer desolation of that.

evilcommiedictator

In those days you were glad to have the price of a concealed knife/gun. A cold knife/gun. Without the knife. Or the gun.
My Dad used to slice us in two with knife/gun

Mister Six

Quote from: thenoise on May 05, 2022, 07:28:36 PMLook i hate to be all "both sides" again, but the fact that the guy was a jerk who put himself in a dangerous situation - maybe even "deserved" a beating, whatever that means - doesn't absolve the security staff of their moral obligation to use force only as much a necessary, especially when it comes to refraining from seriously harming the guy when he is fully restrained and no longer a threat. It is their job, which they are presumably trained for.

Bloke's a cunt for attacking a comedian over words.

Comedian and his entourage are cunts for breaking his arms when he no longer posed a threat.

I hope bloke gets prosecuted.

I hope comedian and entourage get sued.

SOMK

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 04, 2022, 08:59:39 PMThis is a very dramatic leap to apply to this incident. This is not just an American thing, people are going to have less sympathy if you start the fight, especially if they like the guy that has just been physically attacked unprovoked. "Fuck around and find out" is a mentality that is recognised the world over.

In terms of vengeful society, America does have a fairly substantial population of nomadic pastoralists, ie. people from cultures who would have been sheep herders in Europe (at least until the toffs stole all the land), especially in the South. https://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7?op=1&r=US&IR=T

Yer nomadic pastoralists, tend to be more war like, because whether or not you live is determined by how well your men can protect their herd. As such they tend to be highly honorific, quicker to anger and all that.

Read about an experiment done in an American university where the subject gets bumped in the shoulder in a set up before going in and having their blood tested for testosterone levels, subjects from the North tended to barely notice it, whilst subjects from the South tended to be raging over it.

ANYWAY, audience behaviour, depends what you presume the norms really are, it's kind of forgotten that the whole audience shut up for performer thing is a peculiarity not there norm, the norm is ceremony, that is participation, the notion of how in an African drumming ceremony if you are not drumming you are not there.

You had books in the 18th century that taught people the correct way to behave in relation to culture, here you have an illustration from a book from the period with the right and wrong ways to react to a statue or a sunset.

Went a bit feral on the bus a few months ago where someone was doing the playing music through their phone speaker thing, which made it impossible to read, so I move to the seat behind him and started reading extremely loudly from my book until he turned around and I said "oh I'm sorry is my loud reading making it difficult for you to enjoy your music?" it worked, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Anyway any behaviour that had to be reenforced in order to be commonly adapted and seen as a norm is prone to unravel in deeply batshit times, Covid is one thing, but we're also in the midst of an unprecedented globally managed housing shortage, the weird mass experiment that is "what happens if you chuck some 60% of the world population into to a global interface system built using Skinner-esque behavorialists assumptions regarding dopamine responses for the sake of making a handful of people extremely rich very quickly and fuck any other consequences?", we are at the fag end of 50 years of neoliberalism brainrot churning out increasingly venal and imbecilic world 'leaders', there are literally no new ideas in mainstream culture (I noticed how there's another David Simon series out I missed, mad how after doing 'the wire' everything he's done since is essentially a period piece) it's like an infinitely regressive loop of the same tired tropes over and over again, etc.

Bad behaviour all round, I would presume the security staff would justify breaking the guys arms on the grounds of it being a warning to anyone else in the future, "you're not just going to get stopped, you're going to get very badly fucked up", you want to create an aura around the performer such that something like that won't happen again, because in a rush anyone can get lucky. They could argue that it's a preventative measure more so than retribution with the aim of reducing violence. Doesn't make it right, but there you go.

I'm generally pro-streaker, but they'd be much rarer if they systematically got both arms broken for their trouble.

Ray Travez

Quote from: SOMK on May 06, 2022, 12:44:11 PMANYWAY, audience behaviour, depends what you presume the norms really are, it's kind of forgotten that the whole audience shut up for performer thing is a peculiarity not there norm, the norm is ceremony, that is participation, the notion of how in an African drumming ceremony if you are not drumming you are not there.

I would have thought that the norms were different for music and speech. Probably with spoken word it is less acceptable to join in, across societies, and joining in with violence is definitely frowned-upon.

Really interesting about the American north/south divide.

bgmnts

He's doing a live AMA on YouTube according to my homepage if anyone is interested.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: bgmnts on May 07, 2022, 07:27:11 PMHe's doing a live AMA on YouTube according to my homepage if anyone is interested.

That's just a video looping an old radio interview from 2017 while promoting some crypto scam.