Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Quote from: jobotic on May 07, 2022, 03:04:05 PMIf he knew Morris was a bananarist he'd have used it as a stick to beat this site with.

Exactly.

Ex_GC

Also bear in mind he thinks most people 'get it' but are too afraid to speak up cos of the evil trans activists who'll try to ruin their lives. Or because they're big cowards. His view chops and changes

dissolute ocelot

Allison Bailey's "I do not identify as a lesbian, I am a lesbian" is lesbian gatekeeping, an attempt at biological determinism that is at the centre of GC rhetoric. Some women who have sex or relationships with women identify as lesbians, but some identify as bisexual or queer (or pansexual or a range of other terms). And some self-identified lesbians have had relationships with men in the past. But GCs insists that being a lesbian is a biological fact, defined by the chromosomes of every person you've had sex with. If you have sex with a cis man even once, or maybe just smile at one, you're not a lesbian. It's political lesbianism that has nothing to do with sexuality or relationships.

JamesTC

Clicked on Glinner's mess. He talked about men with walkers because they have osteoporosis. Then he said that left-wingers think "women are Nazi adjacent". Clicked off.

Jollity

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 07, 2022, 02:57:36 PMBit cheeky of Graham to speak on behalf of someone else

My theory is that Graham has spoken to him, told him the 'peak' stories etc and Chris has just nodded in the way that people do to not engage when someone goes off on a conspiracy rant. This is taken as 'he gets it'

I suspect quite a lot of the triumphant "I peaked someone" stories actually ended with the other person putting the matter entirely out of their mind as soon as the TERF is out of view, because they don't actually give a shit. I'm pretty sure this is how my dad responds to everyone's political opinions on anything at all, and I occasionally wonder if there's some nerd out there who thinks they "peaked" my dad, and who has no idea that he will never think about the issue ever again.

Cold Meat Platter

It's not worth the arseache to disagree with obviously toxic and disturbed people.

jobotic

"Yeah alright mate, I'll have a look at the website when I get home later. No I swear I will. Anyway I've got to go, my dog's on a yellow line. Groomers, yeah? Got it. Cheers".

Graham, you've done it again.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

interrupted Staniland and deleted a womans comment saying let her speak. ever the king of the women

Elfking

Quote from: JamesTC on May 07, 2022, 04:20:39 PMClicked on Glinner's mess. He talked about men with walkers because they have osteoporosis. Then he said that left-wingers think "women are Nazi adjacent". Clicked off.

So he's completely abandoning the notion that he's left wing now?

Alberon

God alone knows what he thinks he is but, as has been pointed out a lot here, anything is justified if it furthers the holy cause of erasing trans people.

grainger

Quote from: Alberon on May 07, 2022, 05:41:46 PMGod alone knows what he thinks he is but, as has been pointed out a lot here, anything is justified if it furthers the holy cause of erasing trans people getting his Twitter account back.

Kankurette

Quote from: JamesTC on May 07, 2022, 04:20:39 PMClicked on Glinner's mess. He talked about men with walkers because they have osteoporosis. Then he said that left-wingers think "women are Nazi adjacent". Clicked off.
Does that include left-wing women, or are we all men?

mtpromises

I know this is a bit last week, but I haven't seen anyone post it.  Users on a site we know Graham admires were using "groomer" 2 years before BC.

Kankurette

'Degenerate'. A klaxon if I ever heard one.

Why is being gay or trans degenerate, but being straight isn't?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on May 07, 2022, 07:11:26 PMDoes that include left-wing women, or are we all men?

long way from a man that once said 'Facts are inherently left-wing, I think'

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 07, 2022, 04:00:05 PM

Going live @4pm
what the fuck is that thumbnail

(in case he changes it: The Godfather logo but it says "Garden Court Chambers")

As for Chris Morris, I don't care what beliefs he holds in the privacy of his own mind. There's no such thing as the Thought Police and thank fuck f' that. The important thing is, he isn't going on GBeebies and vibrating up and down while lying about trans people.

wrec

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 07, 2022, 02:57:36 PMBit cheeky of Graham to speak on behalf of someone else

My theory is that Graham has spoken to him, told him the 'peak' stories etc and Chris has just nodded in the way that people do to not engage when someone goes off on a conspiracy rant. This is taken as 'he gets it'

Very likely this. Dunno if you saw it but just before he mentioned meeting Morris for lunch he was seen in London ranting about "them"* as Morris nodded along. Given everything we know about Morris and how he deals with things in his work, he'd aim for a balanced view but is likely to see Linehan's hysteria for what it is rather than an informed analysis of something real. Also he's not a fucking idiot, or a bigot, or a bully, or all of the above.

*forget the overheard quote but think this was the gist

Morris has dealt with a backlash or two, but when confronted by Natalie Curtis for example, he apologised rather than abandoning his entire life to pursue a hate campaign against suicide survivors.

The comment to Jo Unwin was aggressive / accusatory if I remember correctly so I doubt it was an attempt to coax an admission of sympathy.

I keep coming back to the fact that transphobia is unreasonable and wrong, and, certainly in its GC/terf variety, a fringe view that's disproportionately common in British media circles. Has there been anyone whose transphobia has been unexpected and disappointing? I can only think of Chappelle, and in his case it's a symptom of a broader decline.

retsuza

I'll say as a newer member of this forum Chris Morris agreeing with anything Linehan fed to him would be fairly disappointing.

And what's worse is Graham is so trustworthy, genuine and honest that is definitely true what he says.

jamiefairlie

"Morris has dealt with a backlash or two, but when confronted by Natalie Curtis"

When did that happen? I missed it.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 07, 2022, 09:47:32 PMwhat the fuck is that thumbnail

(in case he changes it: The Godfather logo but it says "Garden Court Chambers")
He mentioned in the stream that it's another masterpiece by the prodigious Moley - the hand is meant to be Stonewall, apparently.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 08, 2022, 12:32:00 AM"Morris has dealt with a backlash or two, but when confronted by Natalie Curtis"

When did that happen? I missed it.
It was for the "I'm Ian Curtis" hanging skeleton joke in TDT.  Apparently her daughter had convinced to her start watching it and that was the first episode she watched.

trabuch

Comment whilst they wre discussing Roe v Wade on the mess they're in (and how trans activists are using it as a stick to beat real femenists with).

Ann Haywardrick "DeSantis is doing great work in Florida"

I find it very difficult to know what is a joke and what is real. I hope this was a joke, but I fear it was real.

By the way Graham does another lovely little song (whilst completely missing the point - ) at about 23.27.

From @doublehelix

It is a joke/parody. From 2017.

I'm never watching another one of those - they are ugly people.

Elfking

De Santis took away a trans person's medal so it doesn't matter how many women and children die, are severely traumatised or injured by not having access to things like abortion. He's clearly a great guy.

Kankurette

buttgammon

With the latest mental gymnastics from BC and friends, my current prediction is that by 2023, he'll have done a u-turn on abortion and decided that the right to choose is somehow pro-trans shilling, actually.

wrec

Quote from: buttgammon on May 08, 2022, 08:06:02 AMWith the latest mental gymnastics from BC and friends, my current prediction is that by 2023, he'll have done a u-turn on abortion and decided that the right to choose is somehow pro-trans shilling, actually.

RT of a Republican mentioning "promiscuity" before Rowling sets off in her sleigh.

ajsmith2

Quote from: wrec on May 07, 2022, 11:33:29 PMVery likely this. Dunno if you saw it but just before he mentioned meeting Morris for lunch he was seen in London ranting about "them"* as Morris nodded along. Given everything we know about Morris and how he deals with things in his work, he'd aim for a balanced view but is likely to see Linehan's hysteria for what it is rather than an informed analysis of something real. Also he's not a fucking idiot, or a bigot, or a bully, or all of the above.

*forget the overheard quote but think this was the gist

I believe the overheard fragmentary quote was 'it's like a production line'. Now of course this phrase could be applied to a wide variety of scenarios but I have to admit it's very, very hard to imagine the Glin of today using it in any other context than a negative assessment of contemporary rates of young people transitioning.