Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 12, 2021, 09:51:19 PM
16 minutes is a long time to remember something you did, I'll admit.

Another swing and a miss.

Asking the question 'what has he done?' isn't the same as questioning the accounts of what he's done.

You understand this but you thought you might as well say it, all the same.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 12, 2021, 06:11:59 PM
Now that the dust has settled, I think I can sum up my opinion on Norm like this: I used to watch him and think, "He's funny, but I wonder if he's a bit of a cunt;" now I watch him and think, "He's funny and I know he's a bit of a cunt."

I think this plays a sizable part in the lack of reaction - he wasn't a comedian like Louis CK or Bill Cosby where their comedy was based on a stage persona of being a decent guy or a well-meaning liberal or aware and caring when it comes to social issues. A lot of his comedy was based around fucking with other people, so the news that he kept that shit up offstage isn't the kind of shock twist it was with those other guys

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 13, 2021, 06:27:09 AM
I think this plays a sizable part in the lack of reaction - he wasn't a comedian like Louis CK or Bill Cosby where their comedy was based on a stage persona of being a decent guy or a well-meaning liberal or aware and caring when it comes to social issues. A lot of his comedy was based around fucking with other people, so the news that he kept that shit up offstage isn't the kind of shock twist it was with those other guys

True, but there does also seem to be an issue here of whether sexually harrassing women makes you "a bit" of a cunt or actually rather a lot of a cunt

Twit 2

Well, the key word is cunt, which is already a strong word. So the "bit" isn't letting him off the hook as much as you think. Eg:

Bit of a twit - off colour remarks
Bit of a cunt - groping
Cunt - rapist

But, yeah, why not, let's go straight to cunt for the groping. Then CK is a monster, Cosby pure evil etc. Just strengthen the terms accordingly.

This is the problem with language. Hopefully, we all agree these things are a spectrum, so then it hinges on how strongly you intend the words you're using.

However you jiggle it, I think we can all agree that Norm's conduct to women was  wholly wrong and inexcusable. Whether other comedians have behaved even worse doesn't change this.

lankyguy95

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 13, 2021, 06:27:09 AM
What you're saying is that the worst part about Cosby is he was a hypocrite.

Twonty Gostelow

"Death is funny. Not funny-haha like a Woody Allen movie, but funny-strange, like a Woody Allen marriage."

Old Nehamkin

Quite interesting article about a recent showbiz memorial event for Norm at which it was apparently revealed that he recorded some sort of home-made comedy special before he died and that it's scheduled to be released on Netflix.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/in-the-heart-of-hollywood-an-un-hollywood-celebration-of-norm-macdonald-1.5892840

QuoteOh, wait: there was an Easter egg. It turns out Norm left an hour of new material behind, recorded in his apartment during the lockdown. It'll be a Netflix comedy special soon. So, we have that. Which is precisely what Norm wanted.

The Ombudsman

Did anything more come to light about Norm since the immediate stories that appeared?

I look forward to the home-made special. I recall he did some videos at the time talking to showbiz pals over the phone. I wonder if it's connected somehow to that.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Ombudsman on May 09, 2022, 05:33:25 PMDid anything more come to light about Norm since the immediate stories that appeared?
He was sadly unable to be a sex-pest to more women, due to being dead.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 09, 2022, 05:38:25 PMHe was sadly unable to be a sex-pest to more women, due to being dead.

Any more stories of HISTORIC grubbiness.

Magnum Valentino

C_Larence

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 09, 2022, 05:24:01 PMQuite interesting article about a recent showbiz memorial event for Norm at which it was apparently revealed that he recorded some sort of home-made comedy special before he died and that it's scheduled to be released on Netflix.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/in-the-heart-of-hollywood-an-un-hollywood-celebration-of-norm-macdonald-1.5892840

The opening line of the article states that "Norm" was written on the side of the cinema in black letters, yet in the accompanying photograph the letters are clearly white. How are we supposed to trust anything else the author says?

Rolf Lundgren

I watched a short documentary on YouTube recently which talked about Norm having cancer at least three times in his life starting in 1985 which explains his cavalier attitude to money and his fascination with mortality and dying. I'm not sure I totally agree with the point but found it an interesting theory.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 09, 2022, 07:02:22 PMI watched a short documentary on YouTube recently which talked about Norm having cancer at least three times in his life starting in 1985 which explains his cavalier attitude to money and his fascination with mortality and dying. I'm not sure I totally agree with the point but found it an interesting theory.

Wonder if it's same one I had recommended to me today - was it titled something shittily clickbaity like "Norm MacDonald had a secret"? Have to say that despite the title turning me off I really enjoyed it, hadn't known that Norm had stomach cancer in the mid-80s. He can only have been in his 20s at the time.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Small Potatoes on May 09, 2022, 10:31:45 PMWonder if it's same one I had recommended to me today - was it titled something shittily clickbaity like "Norm MacDonald had a secret"?

I've had that promoted to me a few times as well but not watched it yet. Will no doubt check it out at some point.

Sean and Norm's deaths still affect me, strange thing.