Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:47:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weirdly Similar Record Sleeves

Started by lazyhour, May 10, 2022, 12:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

You knowing when you're flicking through the racks at a record shop and you come across something familiar... then realise it's not? I'm not talking about sleeves that obviously parody a more famous cover, just examples of two graphic artists who hit upon the same concept. I've come across loads but my brain doesn't want to remind me what they are, so I'm turning to you. This thought was triggered by the following example:

Boniface:

Beck:

It's also interesting when different artists use the same (or similar) archive photo, and you get to ponder over who used it more appropriately.

The Ex:

Mr Big:

purlieu

I always found the brown-and-white-tinted image of a girl holding her hand out a bizarre coincidence between these two otherwise totally unrelated albums:

lazyhour

Ooh, that's a good one. Yes, it doesn't have to be compositionally totally similar (eg scale and placement), just some key ingredients that really chime with each other.

SteveDave

Flamingoes

Fountains Of Wayne

The album's cover photo of a little boy clutching a rabbit and posing like a superhero was shot by Nick Waplington. It was also used for the album cover of Plastic Jewels by the UK band Flamingoes, which came out in the US two weeks before this album.[6] According to Chris Collingwood, "This English photographer licensed the photograph to both bands. Worse than that, he was directly asked by us if he had licensed it to anybody else and he said no. So, basically, the guy's a complete asshole. We're changing the cover in Europe, but we're keeping it the same in the States. It's just too good a picture."

New Harry Styles LP cover not entirely dissimilar to charity shop classic The Very Best of The Old Sailor. 

McChesney Duntz

lazyhour

Wow, two brilliant examples! The Damned and DOA records must have come out very close to each other, too.

kalowski

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on May 10, 2022, 07:43:59 PM

Wow, that's great. Loved Powerslave as a kid, but think I love Earth, Wind and Fire more now.

Natnar

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 10, 2022, 05:20:28 PMNew Harry Styles LP cover not entirely dissimilar to charity shop classic The Very Best of The Old Sailor. 

Brundle-Fly

Both came out in 1992. One band was Factory Records last signing before the label went bankrupt, the other a legacy act riding the crest of a wave of a recent massively successful comeback.  No surprises who won out here.

Brundle-Fly

These two early nineties album sleeves always looked amusing if you stacked one over the other in the LP rack displays in Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus.

(Well, back then, it was amusing to me after I'd stumble out a West End boozer at closing time to make some misguided drunk impulse purchases of CD imports that I would have to return the following day).

Glebe

The monkey photo on the back cover of Nirvana's Nevermind seems at least subconsciously inspired by the cover of Pixies' Doolittle. Given how much of an influence the latter were on the former it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

buzby

Same graphic designer and photographer, released 12 months apart.

tom_exorcisto

Can anyone shed more light on these two? Always wondered what the deal was. SY was four years before, the bands were closely linked but it's not by the same artist. Is it a famous life drawing exercise that I'm just not aware of? Certainly fits well with both the album titles.

tom_exorcisto

The Mollusk

Not extremely similar but always used to get an eyebrow raise out of me since they would appear alphabetically (Future of the Left, Gang Gang Dance) one above the other like that in my Spotify library. Both covers also have the title but not the band name included.

Brundle-Fly

SteveDave

The fucking Maccabees- Orlando, Rupert, Finn, Tarquin and Lord Haversham III

lazyhour

Some brilliant ones there, thank you all! DinoJr/SYouth one is really weird, isn't it?

And I'd never clocked the similarity between the Pulp and Maccabees sleeves, but my goodness yes!

Brundle-Fly

Gradual Decline

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Gradual Decline on May 11, 2022, 07:08:24 PM

Haha! It also reminds me of the bottom half of the front cover of The Mothers' Absolutely Free:

Levi

idunnosomename

they should have shown the arse and you can unzip it and poo comes out. motley pöo, if you will

Levi

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 11, 2022, 11:10:49 PMthey should have shown the arse and you can unzip it and poo comes out. motley pöo, if you will

Yes!
The Rolling stones - Shitty Fingers.

DJ Bob Hoskins