Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mike and Bernie Winters doing their thing

Started by Keebleman, May 04, 2022, 08:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on May 06, 2022, 10:53:13 AMOne of the by-products of the Mike & Bernie split was Bernie's flop single "It's Bernie", which was supposed to sell the public on the idea of him as a solo performer, but has a somewhat sinister lyric which is very ambiguous about what Bernie is actually going to do for/to you:

Just relax now, leave it to me
Let it happen naturally
We'll have a party, just you wait and see!

Who the fuck bought that in 1978? People called Bernie?

kalowski

Is that the record that Danny Baker kept threatening to play on The Treehouse?

Jittlebags

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 06, 2022, 07:00:28 PM

Was there a single light entertainer in the 1960s that didn't perform a silly comedy routine with The Fabs?

Eeeeeeeee...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kalowski on May 06, 2022, 08:35:06 PMIs that the record that Danny Baker kept threatening to play on The Treehouse?

He played it often (and without any warning) on his BBC London afternoon show, and I swear I laughed every single time that drum intro hoved into earshot.

I just loved the way he'd play it in full and then move on to the next item without comment, as if there was nothing at all peculiar about having to endure this obscure record on a BBC radio station in 2008 or whenever.

prelektric

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 06, 2022, 07:03:52 PMWho the fuck bought that in 1978? People called Bernie?

My parents did. I have no idea to this day why. It was a thing that was lying there buried in my parents' "collection". Even they forgot.

What do we do now?

EDIT: I'd have rather found "Mouldy Old Dough" by Lieutenant Pigeon

PeterCornelius

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 07, 2022, 01:08:02 AMEeeeeeeee...

The Beatles' facial expressions are priceless. Compare this with their routine on the Morecambe and Wise Show or Scene at 6.30 with Ken Dodd.

Keebleman

Mike looks nothing like how I remembered him.  I thought he was simply a better looking Bernie, with far less overbite, but they don't look like brothers at all.

PammySpacek

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 06, 2022, 04:19:05 PMI like the bit where a hand comes in to stop the countdown clock falling over.
Quote from: pigamus on May 06, 2022, 05:47:04 PMAh, it's the bit before the ad break isn't it - I was watching the bit at the beginning.
That happens during the first of two ad breaks, for anyone else trying to find it - starting at about 12 mins 30 seconds. Upon the second and final ad break at 31 mins 27 seconds, it's being held up by someone out of fear of the whole thing smashing all over the floor again... only for some idiot to blithely wander past it. That might have been Bernie himself.

Quote from: pigamus on May 06, 2022, 04:32:32 PMWhy do they count in with letters rather than numbers?
I don't know, but after watching a lot of old British TV offcuts / outtakes / etc you soon learn that some ITV stations had really odd ways of doing things. Southern TV used to sync their clocks up to audio of the Speaking Clock, which feels really odd.

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 06, 2022, 10:20:44 AMThe Rise and Fall of Shnorbitz

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/schnorbitz/
This is great, btw. I grew up knowing Bernie Winters as the man with the dog, and never knew Mike Winters even existed until much later. Astonishing to see that the Schnorbitz "brand" continued right up to 2014, despite Bernie dying in 1991.

Glebe

The pair were featured in the 'Double Acts' episode of BBC series The Story of Life Entertainment. Some amusingly cheesy showbiz drama involved ("He's got this chick and it's gettin' serious."):

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Glebe on May 10, 2022, 02:24:47 PMThe pair were featured in the 'Double Acts' episode of BBC series The Story of Life Entertainment. Some amusingly cheesy showbiz drama involved ("He's got this chick and it's gettin' serious."):

Many thanks for putting this up, Glebe. A fascinating programme, but, fuck me, quite the cavalcade of stiffs on display. Within the first few minutes, all of the talking heads onscreen are current day corpses. Then fucking David Baddiel pops up.

shiftwork2

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 04, 2022, 09:01:54 PMApocryphal probably and well-known certainly but in case you didn't know: Eric Morecambe was asked who Morecambe and Wise would have been if they hadn't got into comedy.  He replied 'Mike and Bernie Winters'

Apologies for bumping the thread (and quoting my own post to boot) but I've just remembered this is mentioned by Reece Shearsmith's character in 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room'.  Almost certainly where I heard it.  Might be nice to know in case it was niggling you.  I would have preferred a primary source though...

Andy147

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 07, 2022, 01:22:53 PMApologies for bumping the thread (and quoting my own post to boot) but I've just remembered this is mentioned by Reece Shearsmith's character in 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room'.  Almost certainly where I heard it.  Might be nice to know in case it was niggling you.  I would have preferred a primary source though...

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1064891044821639170?lang=en-GB, about 40 seconds before the end.

Sarge

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 04, 2022, 09:01:54 PMCompelling rubbish.  The clothes are fascinating I agree, I think my nan's telly had a knob to turn down the intensity of Mike's tie. Bernie's big comedy move appears to be that thing he does with his teeth.

Apocryphal probably and well-known certainly but in case you didn't know: Eric Morecambe was asked who Morecambe and Wise would have been if they hadn't got into comedy.  He replied 'Mike and Bernie Winters'
Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 04, 2022, 09:01:54 PMCompelling rubbish.  The clothes are fascinating I agree, I think my nan's telly had a knob to turn down the intensity of Mike's tie. Bernie's big comedy move appears to be that thing he does with his teeth.

Apocryphal probably and well-known certainly but in case you didn't know: Eric Morecambe was asked who Morecambe and Wise would have been if they hadn't got into comedy.  He replied 'Mike and Bernie Winters'
I spent the weekend with a showbiz family who knew Mike, Bernie, Eric and Ernie and pretty much every other 'pier' comedian and they said that this would have been said in the manner of Eric's 'Des O'Connor' put-downs. In real life they were all showbiz chums who had great affection for each other!

shiftwork2

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Andy147 on June 07, 2022, 08:29:51 PMhttps://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1064891044821639170?lang=en-GB, about 40 seconds before the end.

ERNIE: We find it difficult to examine things intellectually, the whys and wherefores...
ERIC: Even the Morecambes and wherefores...

He was quick.