Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forgotten Cash-In Singles by Comedy Actors in Character

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 10, 2022, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ishantbekeepingit

Both John Cleese and Al Murray did songs for the 2006 World Cup.

Glebe

They should have released the Every Decreasing Circles theme as a single, with a video featuring Martin playing the piano with an intense look on his face.

Sebastian Cobb

Judge Jules was apparently behind the Kevin and Perry track.

phantom_power

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 10, 2022, 02:03:13 PMOh No! Heavy man...

That's not forgotten. It is still stored someone in my head, along with the amazing b-side Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man

Fluffy hair on a polar bear means more to me than a lavatory

Twilkes

Stretching a number of definitions possibly, but I remember this well:

Gurke and Hare

Hylda is actually making an effort here but Arthur seems to have never heard his own record

Gurke and Hare

studpuppet

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 10, 2022, 02:32:14 PMHylda is actually making an effort here but Arthur seems to have never heard his own record

I thought of this, but discounted it. I know that technically they're in character, but not the comedy character(s) they normally play.

However Dick Emery as Honkytonks for the chorus and (I think) Gaylord for the verses is more like it.

Captain Z

Came up on the TOTP repeats recently:

Not strictly cash-in, as it was for Comic relief, but definitely forgotten. It's definitely no 'Pizza Bean'.

Brundle-Fly

Compo's Gone And Lost His Wellies. Useless cunt.

Brundle-Fly

Sebastian Cobb

Brundle-Fly

Pranet

Introduced to me by Daf on his Toppermost of the Poppermost thread.

Edit:- actually not "in character" as such I suppose. Oops.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: phantom_power on May 10, 2022, 02:20:45 PMThat's not forgotten. It is still stored someone in my head, along with the amazing b-side Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man

Fluffy hair on a polar bear means more to me than a lavatory

Was it Lentil Nightmare off the album that was a Rik Mayall co-write?

Single was Top 5 I think and the whole of Neil's Heavy Concept Album is great. Must revisit it. Anyone who likes the Canterbury sound and/or Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake should appreciate it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on May 10, 2022, 03:43:21 PMWas it Lentil Nightmare off the album that was a Rik Mayall co-write?

Apparently so, along with Rivron and Brint (who also co-wrote Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man with Planer)

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: studpuppet on May 10, 2022, 02:49:20 PMHowever Dick Emery as Honkytonks for the chorus and (I think) Gaylord for the verses is more like it.

I think that's more of a generic Cockney geezer voice than Gaylord, who was a bit too slow to sound like that. The 'female' voice is Mandy, not the camp Honkytonks, whose name was actually Clarence.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: phantom_power on May 10, 2022, 03:47:30 PMApparently so, along with Rivron and Brint (who also co-wrote Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man with Planer)
Thanks. I've just dug out the expanded CD version and can't see any writing credits in the booklet, so I don't know where I saw that.
Anyway, it mentions the single was No.2 for three weeks, held at bay by Two Tribes at No.1.

phantom_power

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on May 10, 2022, 04:08:30 PMThanks. I've just dug out the expanded CD version and can't see any writing credits in the booklet, so I don't know where I saw that.
Anyway, it mentions the single was No.2 for three weeks, held at bay by Two Tribes at No.1.

I cheated and looked on Discogs

DJ Bob Hoskins

This is unlikely to qualify as 'forgotten' to many CaBbers, but it's probably safe to say that it barely left a dent in the public consciousness. It peaked at #42 in the UK charts back in 1996.

Swift

Stretching the definition of comedy...

My younger brother bought this on CD. Shockingly, it's got 13 million views on YT.

Pete23

Here's a couple from the Goons, first the amazing "Bloodnok's Rock'N'Roll Call" with a delightful Minnie Bannister scat solo:

And the not quite as good "Bluebottle Blues":