Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forgotten Cash-In Singles by Comedy Actors in Character

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 10, 2022, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on May 10, 2022, 04:45:25 PMThis is unlikely to qualify as 'forgotten' to many CaBbers, but it's probably safe to say that it barely left a dent in the public consciousness. It peaked at #42 in the UK charts back in 1996.

Ferrino was a bit of a disappointment for Coogan, wasn't he? 'Short Term Affair' is quite a funny song actually... here's the original with Kim Wilde from The Tony Ferrino Phenomenon, and the Comic Relief '97 performance with Bjork:

Glebe

Sorry Pete 23, crashed in on your post by being a New Page Twat there!

Quote from: Pete23 on May 10, 2022, 05:07:01 PMHere's a couple from the Goons, first the amazing "Bloodnok's Rock'N'Roll Call" with a delightful Minnie Bannister scat solo:

And the not quite as good "Bluebottle Blues":

Pete23

Quote from: Glebe on May 10, 2022, 05:11:38 PMSorry Pete 23, crashed in on your post by being a New Page Twat there!

No worries, it's how Moriarty would have wanted it!

Pete23

Not sure this counts as a cash in as it was a flexi attached to a Bloom County collection, but here's a real band (New Jersey Hardcore band Mucky Pup) pretending to be cartoon strip characters pretending to be a Heavy Metal band:

I had fond memories of this but it's not as good as I remember. The B-side is just awful:

Uncle TechTip

Crucial Times - Delbert Wilkins. No idea if it was actually released.

McChesney Duntz

Not a single, I don't think, and neither forgotten nor really a cash-in, but too great not to include here:

beanheadmcginty

Chart Music listeners will recall the coating down this song got.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Glebe on May 10, 2022, 05:10:24 PMFerrino was a bit of a disappointment for Coogan, wasn't he? 'Short Term Affair' is quite a funny song actually... here's the original with Kim Wilde from The Tony Ferrino Phenomenon, and the Comic Relief '97 performance with Bjork:

I always thought Valley of Our Souls was quite funny, even if it's pretty much a single-joke idea.

Ron Superior

Not in character but maybe that was the problem, Neil Morrissey - no doubt emboldened by the success the Bob The Builder single - did a single for the 2010 world cup.

An interpolation of The Lion Sleeps Tonight, complete with rooftop video, a load of birds draped all over the shop and a bunch of middle aged men in shit sunglasses.

I feel like 2010 was the last year for loads of celebs trying to do world cup songs even though the song was absolute dogshit. The absolute nadir must be this one surely:

JesusAndYourBush

I like this Goons version of Unchained Melody.  Not so much long forgotten, more never had a chance to remember it in the first place... they'd recorded it, were all set to release the single but when The Righteous Brothers heard it they refused permission so it was never released until many years later.

Noodle Lizard

God, I didn't know 90% of these existed. Manuel, for fuck's sake. They're terrible!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 10, 2022, 09:15:12 PMI feel like 2010 was the last year for loads of celebs trying to do world cup songs even though the song was absolute dogshit. The absolute nadir must be this one surely:

I had no idea this existed until now and would quite like to go back to that level of ignorance.

non capisco

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 10, 2022, 09:15:12 PMThe absolute nadir must be this one surely:

An especially strange detail of this is that they're drinking cans of Tennents Super.

I don't know what "England are jolly D" means but it makes me want to vomit blood onto a Knightsbridge doorstep.

non capisco

My favourite bit is at 3'41" when Neil Hamilton rolls on his back and does a goatse impression.

wrec

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on May 10, 2022, 03:43:21 PMWas it Lentil Nightmare off the album that was a Rik Mayall co-write?

Single was Top 5 I think and the whole of Neil's Heavy Concept Album is great. Must revisit it. Anyone who likes the Canterbury sound and/or Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake should appreciate it.

I had that album as a kid before I was aware of most of things he was lampooning, besides Sgt Pepper. Pretty much burned into my memory though I haven't heard it for years, wouldn't have thought it stood up well though.

I remember Adrian Edmondson was on Jools' Hootenanny one year (maybe 1999?), and Jools kept teasing that he was going to be doing something very special indeed later in the programme. That turned out to be a retread of the lounge version of God Save the Queen from the neil album, though with no mention that it had been done before.

Gurke and Hare

So many averted slightly rude rhymes in one thread, amazing.

dr beat

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 10, 2022, 09:15:12 PMI feel like 2010 was the last year for loads of celebs trying to do world cup songs even though the song was absolute dogshit. The absolute nadir must be this one surely:

I've got something of a fascination with crap World Cup cash-in records.  Am thinking of starting an Oscillations thread nearer to when this years tournament starts.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dr beat on May 11, 2022, 08:45:10 AMI've got something of a fascination with crap World Cup cash-in records.  Am thinking of starting an Oscillations thread nearer to when this years tournament starts.

'From Paris to Berlin, every nightclub I go in we're gonna WIN THE WORLD CUP' comes to mind.

Provided it was not my imaginazione, of course.

Ron Superior

Quote from: dr beat on May 11, 2022, 08:45:10 AMI've got something of a fascination with crap World Cup cash-in records.  Am thinking of starting an Oscillations thread nearer to when this years tournament starts.

Yeah, great idea. Would love to know what some of these people were thinking too. Did they think it'd be a hit, were they just getting a payday no matter what, did they actually think it was good?

mippy

Quote from: phantom_power on May 10, 2022, 02:20:45 PMThat's not forgotten. It is still stored someone in my head, along with the amazing b-side Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom Man

Fluffy hair on a polar bear means more to me than a lavatory

HGMM was my favourite song when I was 15. In 1997.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 11, 2022, 09:59:25 AM'From Paris to Berlin, every nightclub I go in we're gonna WIN THE WORLD CUP' comes to mind.

Provided it was not my imaginazione, of course.
IIRC they changed it to "from London to Berlin, and every game that England win..."
Edit: here it is

Captain Z

Yes, do. I built up a folder of World Cup football records a few years ago with the intention of putting a mix together, but never got round to it.

The trend has certainly died away recently, although I wonder if there will be a resurgence this year with the potential for a World Cup/Christmas crossover.

famethrowa

This is my favourite resource for this kind of thing: some songs are not in character but some most certainly are

https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/12/365-days-355--.html

dissolute ocelot

Am I imagining it, or was there a 90s rave track that sampled Richard Wilson from One Foot In The Grave? I can't find anything online.

Morris Minor's Marvellous Motors with Tony Hawks must be the only sitcoms to have spun off from a novelty single.

Also there's this which got to number 17 in 1993

beanheadmcginty

Can't believe in this of all weeks, this one hasn't been mentioned yet:

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 11, 2022, 01:11:40 PMAm I imagining it, or was there a 90s rave track that sampled Richard Wilson from One Foot In The Grave? I can't find anything online.

Don't know if it's the one you're thinking of but there's this:

Virgo76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqBF7TiyATo

Avid Merrion.
Not great at the time and not ageing well.
Disappointed to see Adam and Joe making an appearance.

Virgo76

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqLLDZvbG-U

Peter Kay is not actually a character so doesn't technically qualify, but he does appear in character during the video, so perhaps he does.
Is the video cursed? About half the people featured have died since.
And yes. At least one very unfortunate choice there.