Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrec

A minor point with just so much going on! in that Boyne post but I wish people would refrain from using the word "genius" anywhere near BC and his work*, or suggesting that his continual descent to increasingly abject levels of hitherto unimaginable desolation is robbing us of a comic meisterwerk.

*Yes Ted was good but Dermot Morgan etc etc

Edit: I done a Glinner and called him Boyle lol

Ex_GC

I'm not defending John Boyne but that was a very reasonable comment, he mildly criticized his tactics but that's about it. And he gets told to go fuck himself and is called names. It really does give an insight into what it must have been like for any friends who dared to suggest he take a step back

wrec

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 11, 2022, 01:54:35 PMHaha his response to John Boyne:

'go fuck yourself, you careerist coward'

And this is someone who did stick up for JK Rowling

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: wrec on May 11, 2022, 02:02:29 PM*Yes Ted was good but Dermot Morgan etc etc

Ted is good, but one thing I've found from my recent re-watch is that the moments where it's not, it's very much not. A lot of season 3 is just naff.

RHX

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 11, 2022, 02:06:06 PMI'm not defending John Boyne but that was a very reasonable comment, he mildly criticized his tactics but that's about it. And he gets told to go fuck himself and is called names. It really does give an insight into what it must have been like for any friends who dared to suggest he take a step back

Oh absolutely, Boyne seems otherwise like a bit of a pillock but Graham's response to that almost fawning comment was incredibly off-kilter. It wouldn't shock me if anyone BC has considered "peaked" in real life has just been trying to placate him in case of a reaction like this.

boki

Quote from: wrec on May 11, 2022, 02:14:07 PMAnd this is someone who did stick up for JK Rowling
It's going to be a glorious day when she's finally forced to admit what she thinks of Grimmun's recent 'work'.

dead-ced-dead

Imagine if she did finally acknowledge him and she was broadly closer to Boyne's way of thinking: that he's a Twitter obsessed weirdo who harasses people (if she did it would be pot = kettle). Imagine the banana split meltdown that would cause.

Ex_GC

Quote from: RHX on May 11, 2022, 02:15:48 PMOh absolutely, Boyne seems otherwise like a bit of a pillock but Graham's response to that almost fawning comment was incredibly off-kilter. It wouldn't shock me if anyone BC has considered "peaked" in real life has just been trying to placate him in case of a reaction like this.

'Your praise is meaningless to me'. What an arrogant twonk! I guess he considers this practice for his day of reckoning when he gets to reject all his enemies who are on their knees begging for forgiveness 'your excuses don't impress me!'

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 11, 2022, 02:24:33 PMImagine if she did finally acknowledge him and she was broadly closer to Boyne's way of thinking: that he's a Twitter obsessed weirdo who harasses people (if she did it would be pot = kettle). Imagine the banana split meltdown that would cause.

She's very much of the crew that don't mention him ever, yer Bindels, Moores, Forstaters etc.

frajer

It remains very, very funny that she refuses to acknowledge him in any way shape or form.

It's clearly deliberate and grows more so with every breathless pleading namedrop made by Linehan.

buttgammon

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 11, 2022, 02:14:41 PMTed is good, but one thing I've found from my recent re-watch is that the moments where it's not, it's very much not. A lot of season 3 is just naff.

I rewatched it a couple of years ago and although I was pleased to realise that my enjoyment wasn't tarnished too much by Linehan's behaviour, there was a palpable drop off in the third series. There are some real misfires, particularly the episode with the sheep. I don't like The IT Crowd either and although Black Books is good, his role was minimal after the first series and it owes at least as much to Seinfeld as his other shows do anyway.

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 11, 2022, 02:31:01 PMMoore and Forstater have appeared on the Mess

Fair enough

Ex_GC

'Doesn't have the grace', that's hilarious coming from GL

retsuza

Being called Careerist by him as a pejorative is like a homeless man outside your flat mocking you for having warm shelter.

Ex_GC

Other people he has called careerist: Jesse Signal, Katie Herzog, Helen Lewis. Anyone who criticises him is 'careerist'

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 11, 2022, 12:38:06 PMJohn Boyne

Imagine losing an argument to someone who had previously lost an argument with the Auschwitz Museum. A hilarious new low for Graham.

frajer

Linehan knows writers who have careers, and they're all cowards.

Ex_GC

He's always complaining how trans people/ advocates are too scared to debate him but when he's telling someone to 'go fuck yourself' I can see why trans people and advocates would think 'fuck that'. If that's how he speaks to to someone who is *on his side* one can only imagine how he would speak to anyone else

Alberon

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 11, 2022, 03:02:34 PMOther people he has called careerist: Jesse Signal, Katie Herzog, Helen Lewis. Anyone who criticises him is 'careerist'

To be fair 'careerist' is one accusation you can't level at Linehan.

shoulders

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-and-care-bill-factsheets/health-and-care-bill-banning-virginity-testing

I presume neither BC nor other anti-trans activists purporting to be feminists have mentioned this? Seems to have a positive intent that safeguards anyone with vaginas. Presumably they're all over it?

Perhaps a crude parallel but anti-trans activists aren't 100% against genitalia checks, are they?

dead-ced-dead

Only to Graham Linehan - proud non career haver - is having a career an insult.

Ex_GC

He is raging that there are many prominent GC people who have retained careers & marriages

frajer

It's true, at this point he essentially hates everyone* for various reasons, whether they're on "his side" or not.

*Except Arty Morty

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 11, 2022, 03:48:04 PMHe is raging that there are many prominent GC people who have retained careers & marriages

It's because he was never cancelled, he just stopped doing his job. JK Rowling (JK Rowling) maybe a bananacunt too, but she does take a break every so often to write a book or movie.

filthytrans

I've been lurking these threads for a while but only just joined, and, as someone that Bananacunt has actually talked about on his shitstack, I'm glad the vast majority of people are just fucking NORMAL.

greencalx

Quote from: retsuza on May 11, 2022, 01:40:31 PMGrifters is such a wide term that it can be applied to pretty much anyone. It's like "woke", it means whatever the person using it wants it to mean.

This has been my sense for a while, but wondered if it was just me being behind-the-curve on internet discourse, again.

Ex_GC

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 11, 2022, 03:58:52 PMIt's because he was never cancelled, he just stopped doing his job. JK Rowling (JK Rowling) maybe a bananacunt too, but she does take a break every so often to write a book or movie.

And she is universally loved by the GC movement. Outside of the glincels he's either seen as an oafish idiot or a dangerous hindrance to the movement, depending on who you speak to

Pimhole

Quote from: filthytrans on May 11, 2022, 04:14:16 PMI've been lurking these threads for a while but only just joined, and, as someone that Bananacunt has actually talked about on his shitstack, I'm glad the vast majority of people are just fucking NORMAL.

Well I've NEVER been so insulted etc.

Welcome aboard!

filthytrans

Quote from: Pimhole on May 11, 2022, 05:01:52 PMWell I've NEVER been so insulted etc.

Welcome aboard!
Haha, normal to the extent that you're not all rabid GCers, more than that I can't say.