Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

He's honestly not developed as an artist since 2001. If anything he's gone backwards.

phes

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 07, 2022, 09:18:40 PMHe's honestly not developed as an artist since 2001. If anything he's gone backwards.

He's stood still, but stripped away every active collaborator and influence from around him. It reminds me of a friend who started a band I absolutely loved going back 25 years ago. As the years passed the band segued into other projects that centered them more and more. They were all fuckawful hackneyed shite auteur wankdreams.   

Ron Superior

There's a new clip from this up on Netflix where he makes the strikingly original and very valid and not at all disingenuous point that political correctness is actually just very patronising to minorities, and then goes on to make - for the first time ever, I believe - the joke that he's actually a minority because he's a multimillionaire, and there's only 1% of them. And the audience actually cheers the fact that he's a multimillionaire! What the fuck is that?!

Cuellar

That joke is so old it's in an episode of Frasier*

*actually true

The Ombudsman

Quote from: phes on May 08, 2022, 11:03:04 AMHe's stood still, but stripped away every active collaborator and influence from around him.

Yes. And it's really good to see his previous close collaborators are all doing well on their own, progressing and attempting different things.

He's really becoming the UK Joe Rogan in a way.

Ron Superior

Quote from: Cuellar on May 11, 2022, 10:31:04 AMThat joke is so old it's in an episode of Frasier*

*actually true

I remember in an interview with him, it might have been in that talking funny show - where he says he only wants to do a joke if it's one that no one else could have come up with.

Cut to him making almost entirely hackneyed, route one jokes, or ones that literally already exist. I remember watching one of his later specials and he literally told a joke I knew at primary school.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on May 11, 2022, 10:31:04 AMThat joke is so old it's in an episode of Frasier*

*actually true

There's also a variant of it in Fresh Meat, where JP accuses his housemates of being "money racists" because "being rich is a race too". Except instead of cheering they all treat this remark with the contempt it deserves.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 11, 2022, 02:36:29 PMThere's also a variant of it in Fresh Meat, where JP accuses his housemates of being "money racists" because "being rich is a race too". Except instead of cheering they all treat this remark with the contempt it deserves.

Reminds me that I need to re-watch Fresh Meat at some point.

idunnosomename

Ricky Gervais stealing jokes from gentle PBS cartoons for young children

Rich Uncle Skeleton

those two characters show more depth and genuine emotion than three series of after life too

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 12, 2022, 11:35:01 AMthose two characters show more depth and genuine emotion than three series of after life too

If only one of them called the other one a cunt, then we're talking.

idunnosomename

Arthur punches D.W. but the only consequence is everyone telling him what a kind aardvark he is

frajer

In fairness Arthur's wife had died, I don't know how you don't call everyone you meet a fat cunt after something like that.

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 11, 2022, 02:36:29 PMThere's also a variant of it in Fresh Meat, where JP accuses his housemates of being "money racists" because "being rich is a race too". Except instead of cheering they all treat this remark with the contempt it deserves.

Just listened to a clip of Nick Ferrari arguing with a person of colour that he, too, is a person of colour because white is a colour. I'll be looking out for that in Gervais' next special. (I won't, because I won't be watching it.)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I hovered over this when browsing Netflix so the trailer played, and it was him droning on about atheism again. Fuck off you melt, nobody cares.

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 12, 2022, 02:14:41 PMI hovered over this when browsing Netflix so the trailer played, and it was him droning on about atheism again. Fuck off you melt, nobody cares.

Great excuse to post this again though:

checkoutgirl

Photoshop, crash diet or sucking his belly in?

idunnosomename

This one is quite funny too

These were done for Rolling Stone in 2011 by renowned portrait photographer Nadav Kander. The magazine rejected his images and it was used on New Humanist magazine in September instead

He also sent (or at least he claims he did) Rolling Stone a photo of himself dressed as a clown with a gun in his mouth. 100% he came up with these concepts all by himself and he thought they were massively profound, and still does, because he is the cleverest funniest kindest man ever

Ferris

I have one of those Gretsch parlour guitars, they're quite good. Will have to go straight in the bin now, unfortunately.

Des Wigwam

Thanks for those @checkoutgirl  - they are either terrible or ridiculous. He really does see himself as iconic which is a bit awkward.

What's the point of the last one? He doesn't have a thing about being a Pagliacci or Hancock figure does he? I thought his thing was being a Socratic clown teaching us all the correct way to think.

Hope the flash on the camera caused that dog to attack him.

Des Wigwam

He'd hate being called a clown, wouldn't he?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

don't think he'd give a toss, he's a dog

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He should have done one with him in full SS uniform.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 12, 2022, 04:54:37 PMHe'd hate being called a clown, wouldn't he?

He did a bit about hating clowns and clowns being anti comedy when Stephen Mitchell said he went to school dressed as a clown for charity.

He's blowing his brains out with a gun because he doesn't want to be a clown.

Or just dressing up for attention and a photo shoot. His fifteenth that year probably.

mr. logic

Quote from: Replies From View on May 06, 2022, 12:51:53 PMIn the Pilkington context Merchant was the Richard Hammond to Gervais' Jeremy Clarkson.  The lickspittle bully facilitator who leapt up and down with joy as someone else was bullied, grateful that it wasn't him.

This certainly wasn't true in the XFM podcasts. Merchant routinely pointed out that Gervais was trying to engineer that with Pilkington as the Hammond figure.

Replies From View

Quote from: mr. logic on May 12, 2022, 06:23:50 PMThis certainly wasn't true in the XFM podcasts. Merchant routinely pointed out that Gervais was trying to engineer that with Pilkington as the Hammond figure.

The dynamic was always Gervais + Merchant calling Pilkington an idiot.  Occasionally Gervais would wind up Merchant by getting Pilkington to say what he thought of him (Pilkington would say Merchant looked odd or was miserly), but it wasn't even remotely on the same level.

TommyTurnips

I remember those photos from when I was quite a big Gervais fan and used to read his blog. Even back then I found them cringe-inducing.