Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Detectorists special

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, May 11, 2022, 07:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Probably deserves its own thread.

"The feature-length, 75 minute episode is to air later this year, updating fans of the cult hit series on the lives of its characters, five years since the end of Series 3."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6853/new-detectorists-special/

Twit 2

Enzo

great stuff. Can't believe it's been 5 years since the last episode.

shiftwork2

Didn't see that coming.  Terrific news.

Malcy

I have I second whoever said that the finale was brilliant and a good ending. But also that I have faith that they have a good story to bring it back.

But if Worzel isn't in the background at some point I will be disappointed.

jobotic

Excellent, I can finally allow myself to watch the final episode now!

holyzombiejesus

From that link -
Spoiler alert
The last episode concluded with Andy and Lance stumbling across a stash of gold coins, having very narrowly missed the hidden trove of ancient treasure for the previous two series.
[close]
- that's not true, is it? Maybe S1 but not S2.

BritishHobo

Get in! It's definitely the kind of show where you know they wouldn't be coming back if they didn't have something they're proud of.

BritishHobo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 11, 2022, 08:23:09 PMFrom that link -
Spoiler alert
The last episode concluded with Andy and Lance stumbling across a stash of gold coins, having very narrowly missed the hidden trove of ancient treasure for the previous two series.
[close]
- that's not true, is it? Maybe S1 but not S2.

I was always confused by this, but assumed it was me getting it wrong -
Spoiler alert
I was convinced they never found the buried ship that was shown to be underfoot.
[close]

Always meant to rewatch the show to see if I'd gone wrong somewhere.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, the
Spoiler alert
hidden ship
[close]
was the end of the first series but
Spoiler alert
Lance found the little amulet thing
[close]
right at the end of the second. Still one of my favourite TV moments, probably in my top 10 along with the end of series 3. Get a bit weepy thinking about it. Toby Jones' face...

lauraxsynthesis

Fuck yeah that's going to be well worth watching. I hope there's not lots about Andy being a dad though

Sad to see that the village hall has been demolished: https://www.eadt.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/detectorists-community-hall-demolished-8669312

Series three ended perfectly, but I'm confident they won't fuck it up. Please don't fuck it up.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I hope it's no Andy Stone: Life on the Road.

Mobbd

Met a lad in the pub the other night who was exactly like Russell from this.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 11, 2022, 09:00:05 PMGet a bit weepy thinking about it. Toby Jones' face...

Same, absolutely magic

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, and then that gorgeous shot by drone (presumably) as the camera goes up and up whilst Lance does his dance.

Tony Tony Tony

Whoop de feckin dooo.

I actually had the Johnny Flynn theme from the show as one of the tunes played out at my wedding as I stood awaiting the arrival of Mrs TTT.

So I found my treasure... see what I did there?

Steven88

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 11, 2022, 11:45:11 PMWhoop de feckin dooo.

I actually had the Johnny Flynn theme from the show as one of the tunes played out at my wedding as I stood awaiting the arrival of Mrs TTT.

So I found my treasure... see what I did there?
I hope you followed it with New Age Girl and some Crackdust.

Ferris

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 11, 2022, 11:36:04 PMYeah, and then that gorgeous shot by drone (presumably) as the camera goes up and up whilst Lance does his dance.

Yeah that's a brilliant send off isn't it? I don't need to see/hear the actual dialogue because what could top that?

Similar opinions about the
Spoiler alert
ship they didn't find in season one
[close]
, a properly good and realistic bit of writing.

Robs you of a story beat, but opens up so many potentials in addition to it describing (accurately) the motivation for the hobbyists. Lovely bit of business.

Ferris

I'm putting spoilers on these out of courtesy (and will continue to do so) but ultimately if you need them, stop reading this thread and go and watch the series. It's properly fucking good.

dead-ced-dead

As we're praising Detectorists, I remember showing this programme to my brother for the first time, and after the magpie scene concluded, he just said, "Woah!"

Wonderful, wonderful show.

Twilkes

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 12, 2022, 08:54:00 AMAs we're praising Detectorists, I remember showing this programme to my brother for the first time, and after the magpie scene concluded, he just said, "Woah!"

Wonderful, wonderful show.

Blew their whole budget on that sequence, no wonder the rest of the series was just them standing in a field.

holdover

I'm unjustifiably worried it'll sully what came before.
Just because it's such a perfect thing.

Great news though!

Galeee

One of my favourite series and especially that bit. We went to see the Unthanks last month and they did that song, spine tingling!

I am torn because I'd love to see more of such a perfect programme, and terrified it won't be as good, like most Christmas Specials.

Brundle-Fly

I hope in this special all the main characters inexplicably go on holiday together somewhere abroad. There could also be a knowing cameo from Tony Robinson.

Not really. All I hope, is that they don't end it on too much of a melancholic note. They should dedicate it to Dame Diana Rigg though.
Spoiler alert
I suppose, what could be tackled is the finds ownership issues and how money changes people?
[close]

Proactive

I have complete faith in it. Brilliant news.

MigraineBoy

Synopsis now out courtesy of the BBC & there's an interview with Mackenzie Crook in the new Radio Times;

The Danebury Metal Detecting Club is in trouble; developers are sniffing around, and after losing out on a big finder's fee, the club is going to need a miracle to help save their beloved scout hall. So when Lance manages to secure a permission to search ten acres of prime, undetected land, it looks like things could be on the up. But when a mysterious relic is unearthed, Lance breaks protocol, threatening his friendship with Andy and the future of the DMDC.

Terry Torpid

Sounds good.

Going back to that magpie bit, I love they went to the trouble of shrinking the trees. Most shows wouldn't even think of it, let alone bother doing it.

Anyone know where the blurays are going cheap? Series 3 is 43 quid on Amazon!

MigraineBoy