Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This is Jinsy Revisited

Started by Virgo76, May 12, 2022, 09:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

This is an odd one.
Not just the concept which was deliberately odd but certain things about the show itself.
Two series on Sky in 2010 and 2014. The ratings seem to have been miniscule. I don't think I ever saw the second series.
All set on a remote island which had become very isolated from the rest of civilisation and which had evolved in its own peculiar way.
I'm not going to make bold claims here about it being a great lost classic or anything. It was 'okay' rather than 'brilliant.' But there were occasional flashes of genius about it. These usually arose from the sometimes inspired songs or from short segments supposedly broadcast by the island's archaic public address system.
The really weird thing is the people involved.
Justin Chubb and Chris Bran are the creators and stars, Neither have Wikipedia entries. I don't think I've ever seen either in anything else. Perhaps in something not very good like Bad Education?
But look at who else was in it! How did two relative unknowns in a little-seen comedy show attract such a calibre of stars?
Jennifer Saunders (voice only. But still). David Tennant (then huge post Doctor Who). Stephen Fry. Jane Horrocks. Catherine Tate. KT Tunstall (ask your mum). Harry Hill. Eileen Atkins. Greg Davies. Derek Jacobi. Rob Brydon. Olivia Colman.
WTF?

Edgar Balloon III

To me it felt like the creators had been big fans of Reeves and Mortimer and the Myst games in the 90s and had written scripts to combine the two. Only they were about twelve at the time, so they didn't really understand either, and the scripts were terrible, but they decided to (when eventually given the chance) go for it anyway.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 12, 2022, 09:07:54 AMThe really weird thing is the people involved.
Justin Chubb and Chris Bran are the creators and stars, Neither have Wikipedia entries. I don't think I've ever seen either in anything else. Perhaps in something not very good like Bad Education?
But look at who else was in it! How did two relative unknowns in a little-seen comedy show attract such a calibre of stars?
Jennifer Saunders (voice only. But still). David Tennant (then huge post Doctor Who). Stephen Fry. Jane Horrocks. Catherine Tate. KT Tunstall (ask your mum). Harry Hill. Eileen Atkins. Greg Davies. Derek Jacobi. Rob Brydon. Olivia Colman.
WTF?

I gather Chubb and Bran were visual effects peeps who did a huge amount of good work on a load of sitcoms and were admired and very well-connected, hence having a lot of big names wanting to do them a favour and help them out when they got their own show.

Saw a bit of it, wasn't keen tbh.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Chubb Bran: The breakfast cereal made of doorlocks.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm a fan and often recommend it when I meet folks from the Channel Islands. It's very derivative of other things including Vic & Bob and Father Ted but those are good things to be derivative of. The relative anonymity of Chubb and Bran is odd. Their online presence is mostly about an unrelated book they did later. DVDs of both series are still available.

Fambo Number Mive

I remember really enjoying it, had a look at a few clips over lunch and enjoyed them as well.

This is a good clip: