Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I think Jack Monroe is ace

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 09, 2022, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: canadagoose on March 10, 2022, 10:31:06 AMWhy didn't she just pay for it herself? She's not poor.

I am not sure but possibly because the website is part of her job, and the way she gets paid for that is by Patreon and other donations. It doesn't seem crazy to me that someone might want to keep their personal money and job money separate to a degree

Dex Sawash

Fuck me, they have 265 1000-post threads about Jack Monroe?

Barry Admin

Quote from: gotmilk on March 10, 2022, 11:49:52 AMAlso Jack annoyed me ages ago with a thread criticising David Walliams' kids books. There was a line like "Lord Snobby loved hobbies such as golf, polo, and laughing at poor people" to which she went "O ho? Fun to laugh at poor people is it?"

I'm sure his books are crap, but I simply cannot get behind someone who is unable to discern irony which even children are capable of appreciating.

Yep. There was a discussion about that on here at the time, I didn't link it last night as she's pulled the tweets now. 

It was that kind of stuff tho. "I had to take aside Small Boy and tell them that poverty is actually no laughing matter!" Like, it was just a bit earnest and stuff, but tbh I am sure I'm like that myself at times, e.g. when Harry Hill started to mock people like me who live on council estates and have no money etc. Monroe also had a go at Walliams for putting projectile vomiting in his books, but I cleared all my shit out of my Mum's place recently and was delighted to find my Fungus the Bogeyman popup book, with all snot and whatever in it.

Sebastian Cobb

If one is feeling a bit more charitable than the people over at Tatler a lot of her 'inconsistent' and contradictory behaviour could be put down to the fact she's seems to be a bit mentally unwell - she seems to go through cycles of being in a good place only to take on too much then be overwhelmed and have a bit of a breakdown.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ted_Dibiase on March 10, 2022, 10:51:45 AMI'd say you're wrong, they're actually quite good at calling out people for gifting their gullible followers (though you could say fair enough if their followers are that fucking stupid) and have even called out homophobes and racists so it's not all terrible but there probably are some dickheads on there too.

I dunno mate. A lot of people seem to have arrived at the same opinion as me.

Quote from: gotmilk on March 10, 2022, 12:00:27 PMYes, the Walliams complaint is trivial, but I think Jack asking for money while dating a millionaire, making contradictory statements about their own poverty, and dishonestly claiming to have invented healthy start vouchers are evidence of something more pathological and concerning.

I've dated people who earn more than me and, amazingly, their money didn't automatically become my money.

pigamus

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 10, 2022, 12:19:23 PMI dunno mate. A lot of people seem to have arrived at the same opinion as me.

To be fair, a lot of people have arrived at the same opinion about CaB, having spent not much or any time here.

TrenterPercenter

Jesus that tattle things is crap.

"She owns a Burberry scarf" fuck off.  It's not very balanced is it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 10, 2022, 12:26:30 PMJesus that tattle things is crap.

it's a website made for people to snipe on influencers and the like so it's fitting it's that superficial.

Utter Shit

I'm not sure that comparison is really fair, given that the thread doesn't seem to involve people talking with detached irony, nor does it seem to be a handful of arseholes being nasty while the majority make fun of their shit opinions, which is what tends to happen on here. I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread on here where everyone piled in on someone who is - obviously, to my mind - a force for good. If there's a layer of irony there like there was in the Captain Tom Moore thread on here, and I'm just missing it, then sure.

Barry Admin

Quote from: pigamus on March 10, 2022, 12:23:20 PMTo be fair, a lot of people have arrived at the same opinion about CaB, having spent not much or any time here.

The majority of complaints do always seem to come from ex-posters, who are really just fucked off they can't use CaB to promote their shitty e-books or stand-up shows.

Those types aside, yeah, there does seem to be a bit of a perception that CaB is nasty, I can't deny that sadly.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 10, 2022, 12:26:30 PMJesus that tattle things is crap.

The fact that she was fairly well off and then had a tough few years in relative privation, and thus saw what it was like, is the whole reasoning behind what she does, surely? 

Because that's the first thing you have to do to be *authentically* poor or struggling, is sell all of your stuff.  It's the same 'people on benefits with flatscreen tvs' non-argument.

Also she's a published and successful cookbook author, she can probably afford a burberry scarf.

Buelligan

Heheh.  I have a Burberry coat, a loden one, one of the really good ones, it's waiting to be recut into a cosy dog jacket for a dear thin-haired dog I know and love.  That coat was given to me by a secondhand clothes seller friend because it was so moth-eaten.  I'm all about the labels.

canadagoose

Quote from: gotmilk on March 10, 2022, 12:00:27 PMYes, the Walliams complaint is trivial, but I think Jack asking for money while dating a millionaire, making contradictory statements about their own poverty, and dishonestly claiming to have invented healthy start vouchers are evidence of something more pathological and concerning.
I would tend to agree. I don't know why people think it's fine that she asks for money from followers when she gets £2k in Patreon money per month + book royalties + TV appearance deals. It's taking the piss tbh.

pigamus

I don't think it's fair to assume that someone with a high profile who's friends with Nigella must therefore be rolling in dosh

Buelligan

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2022, 12:30:07 PMThe majority of complaints do always seem to come from ex-posters, who are really just fucked off they can't use CaB to promote their shitty e-books or stand-up shows.

Those types aside, yeah, sadly there does seem to be a bit of a perception that CaB is nasty, I can't deny that sadly.

It's also true that CaB's a welcoming home and safe space for a lot of people who don't find many of those elsewhere.  IMO, a lot of the criticism comes from people who would like to put a dormer window and a couple of car spaces on here, they don't like what we have, they'd like to make it like everywhere else.

Dex Sawash

It's a bit of a minefield. We had a politicsman in america who talked of economic inequities and he went and had sex with someone who wasn't his wife which nullified his economic positions forever.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2022, 12:27:49 PMit's a website made for people to snipe on influencers and the like so it's fitting it's that superficial.

This, I haven't looked for years but amongst the general bitching and jealousy there was forensic take downs of influencer bullshit cross checked across multiple platforms. Also sponsored IG/Twitter posts (hawking diet gummi bears to teenage girls was current back then) were heavily critiqued.

pigamus

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2022, 12:30:07 PMThe majority of complaints do always seem to come from ex-posters, who are really just fucked off they can't use CaB to promote their shitty e-books or stand-up shows.

Okay, but remember we only get your side of the story about that so it's hard for us to judge. I've paid my own money for some of those shitty e-books.

She sued the pants off Katie Hopkins. If that had been the one good deed of her life, it would have been enough to get her sainthood in my book.

Barry Admin

Quote from: pigamus on March 10, 2022, 01:04:40 PMOkay, but remember we only get your side of the story about that so it's hard for us to judge.

I don't expect anyone to judge, I'm just saying what I've observed.

The main thing that seems to put people's backs up now are the jokey death threads on CaB, and I definitely understand why those are contentious. Overall I really hope CaB isn't actually nasty or hateful, but you can't spend too much time worrying about people's criticisms anyway, and they are entitled to make them.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2022, 12:30:07 PMThose types aside, yeah, there does seem to be a bit of a perception that CaB is nasty, I can't deny that sadly.

I think this place is generally one of the most decent places on the internet, definitely out of the other places I visit. Certainly not come across another 'general' forum that would do a fund-raiser for trans folk or that has so many people who desperately want to make life better for vulnerable and impoverished people.

I don't give a flying fuck whether Monroe has asked for money to mend her website. She has single-handedly improved the lives of people who are going to be fucked by this cost-of-living crisis (wish there was a more accurate term for what's really happening), she consistently tries to help those who are struggling and, for me, if she makes a zillion pounds from that, then it's up to her. She's certainly done more than me to help the people who need it and, I'd guess, more than the wankers calling her out.

Kankurette

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 09, 2022, 10:07:21 PMSame, yeah, what a despicable pack of bullying shitheaded cunts. I hope that's not what people think CaB is like.

I'm amazed they're allowed Google ads too. I really need to try and sort something there again. Maybe it would be worth appealing the decision from last time, given that a website for hateful shits like that has them.
Oh good lord no, CaB is not for the oversensitive but I vastly prefer this place to Tattle. At least CaB has interesting topics (and the goldmine that is HS Art) and posters are more supportive of each other. I also like the fact that this place is unapologetically trans-friendly. Tattle is just one big bitchfest. Mainly aimed at female celebrities, natch.

Building an entire Wiki devoted to slagging off Jack Monroe is pathetic, it's the kind of shit Kiwifarms do.

It's what some people call 'bitch eating crackers', or BEC. When they hate someone so much that the slightest thing that person does makes them angry, i.e. 'look at that bitch eating crackers, how DARE she'. Everton fans are BEC with Marco Silva for instance. Tattle is BEC about the likes of Monroe.

pigamus

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 10, 2022, 01:17:35 PMI don't expect anyone to judge, I'm just saying what I've observed.

Fair enough, and obviously you can ban anyone you like, but sometimes you might ban people whose work we go on reading and liking and even paying money for, and it then can be a bit awkward if one of us happens to mention something they might have said or whatever. I'm not slagging you off, I'm just asking you to bear it in in mind.

jfjnpxmy

Tattle seems to be a hive of mentalists, but they're pretty meticulous in their muckraking.
Jack Monroe does good, but also seems like a bit of a wanker and an Elevenerife sort.
CaB is nice, but also there's some right cunts here.
KP's Choco Dips are tasty, but there's always one breadstick snaps and I have to try to fish out the halves with my giant hands.

In conclusion, only I am 100% cool.

Barry Admin

Quote from: pigamus on March 10, 2022, 03:10:31 PMFair enough, and obviously you can ban anyone you like, but sometimes you might ban people whose work we go on reading and liking and even paying money for, and it then can be a bit awkward if one of us happens to mention something they might have said or whatever. I'm not slagging you off, I'm just asking you to bear it in in mind.

Followed up here by PM as I'm a bit confused, but appreciate you being delicate with this as I obviously don't like shit being stirred up.  Reading back, I'll say that when I mentioned "ex-posters" I was referring to people who have left of their own accord - although they have frequently made trips back solely to try and use CaB to flog product.  Yet they constantly lie about being "bullied" by CaB and stuff like that.  Anyway, don't want to drag this further off topic, I just always find it baffling that the harshest critics of CaB seem to be the ex-posters.  You'd think they'd be best-placed to know the tone of the place, but I guess they just reach the end of their tether, or something they hold dear comes under fire or whatever, and that's it.  So I guess it does make sense really - familarity breeds contempt and all that. 

holyzombiejesus

QuoteJack Monroe, the anti-poverty campaigner and budget cooking expert, said in a tweet: "You can't cook meals from scratch with nothing. You can't buy cheap food with nothing.

"The issue is not 'skills', it's 12 years of Conservative cuts to social support. The square root of fuck all is ALWAYS going to be fuck all, no matter how creatively you're told to dice it."

bgmnts

Unsure how I feel about the poverty cooking thing as a part of me feels it seems it could have the effect of bastard ghouls going "see! you can live off a tenner a week so pipe down serfs." but I understand that's not the motivation behind it so she seems like a jolly good egg.

Harry Badger

Seems to me that Jack Monroe makes a lot of noise, tells a lot of lies, misrepresents herself and perpetuates dangerous and pernicious Tory myths about how easy it is to survive on £20 a week - apparently OK when she does it, but not this Anderson prick.

Hopkins apart (and even then she didn't come out of that trial looking especially good) I am genuinely baffled as to why she is held in high regard. I also struggle to see what she has achieved on a practical level to help anyone other than herself. Seriously - what? Marcus Rashford got more done in his lunch hour than she has ever done and he isn't a cunt about it either.

Kankurette

Is she though? I thought a lot of people hated her for being a whiny grifter or something.

Rashford got tons of abuse as well. The right-wing press tried to do hit jobs on him.