Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spinal Tap II is happening...

Started by The Mollusk, May 13, 2022, 07:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

Wasn't there a clause in a contract somewhere that said they had to 'perform' as Spinal Tap every so often, ten years maybe, else they would lose their copyright? Would explain why they keep popping up in random places over the last few decades.

Doesn't feel like any of them NEED to do it, so hopefully it's being done for the right reasons and with the right results. The premise sounds as good as anything they could have come up with for that scenario, although I am wary of having watched Still Crazy...

letsgobrian

Quote from: Twilkes on May 13, 2022, 07:51:24 AMWasn't there a clause in a contract somewhere that said they had to 'perform' as Spinal Tap every so often, ten years maybe, else they would lose their copyright? Would explain why they keep popping up in random places over the last few decades.

Doesn't feel like any of them NEED to do it, so hopefully it's being done for the right reasons and with the right results. The premise sounds as good as anything they could have come up with for that scenario, although I am wary of having watched Still Crazy...

They came to a settlement with Studiocanal in 2020.

SweetPomPom

Shearer's Luke Warm solo effort wasn't all that but their One Night World Tour in the late 00s was great.

Please God, no Gervais or star guests.

markburgle

Quote from: SweetPomPom on May 13, 2022, 08:13:39 AMShearer's Luke Warm solo effort wasn't all that but their One Night World Tour in the late 00s was great.

Please God, no Gervais or star guests.

Ed Sheeran as himself

Tony Tony Tony

Looks like it's going to be in good hands, so fingers crossed.

Not sure I'd want to play the drummer though.

DrGreggles

Those 3 as those characters can always be funny.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2022, 09:08:49 AMIsn't there already a sequel?

Sort of two in fact.

The Return of Spinal Tap was actually a live gig (at the Royal Albert Hall) interspersed with cuts of a where are they now type. It wasn't particularly well received as most folks seem to think it was a bit of a con calling it a sequel.

The next was actually a sort of prequel in that it was a short made by Rob Reiner to show to Studio execs that the original would be worth making. It was released as Spinal Tap the Final Tour. 

Shaky

There's all the bits and bobs they filmed around 2009 as well. Obviously not a film per se, but it does feel like a sequel-y catch-up if you watch them together on Youtube. Lots of new info about the characters and what they're doing "now".

I'm sure a proper new full-length mockumentary will have some funny bits - those guys together can drop funny lines in their sleep - but it does sort of feel like the time has passed to pull off something quite as believable and largely grounded as the original. And Shearer's nearly 80!

Tony Tony Tony

The Late Satoru Iwata

I've found a lot of the stuff since the movie to be on the lukewarm side. Am hoping Rob Reiner turns out to be the secret ingredient that'll make it all land but even if not I'm sure there'll be some laughs and it won't erase the first one.

Petey Pate

Yeah the only way this really works is that are there are real world equivalents of aged rock stars playing past their prime, which is a rich source for comedy.

Hopefully at worse it won't tarnish the first film in any way.

madhair60

I hope they don't make this, mostly because then there would be even more Spinal Tap shit to avoid

Twilkes

While we're waiting, does anyone else actually really enjoy the beginning of Jazz Odyssey, up until it falls apart when the solos begin? Sounds like Return To Forever with Al Di Meola.

Also, for some reason I'm under the impression that its full title was 'Two Cows and a Bun - a Jazz Odyssey' but I can find no reference to this on t'internet. Does anyone know why I might think this? Was it printed as such in a magazine article somewhere?

TheMonk

Derek Smalls/ Shearer is due to appear in a Tap tribute show by Australian band You Am I shortly... https://www.adelaideguitarfestival.com.au/events/this-time-its-personal/

Replies From View

I hope they can come up with a bigger number than 11 this time

Rich Uncle Skeleton

as long as this has absolutley no celebrity talking heads/guest appearances I am all for it.

the science eel

Quote from: madhair60 on May 13, 2022, 11:46:27 AMI hope they don't make this, mostly because then there would be even more Spinal Tap shit to avoid

Indeed.

Replies From View

I hope that this is exactly the same as the second Rutles film in every respect.

Famous Mortimer

Much like almost every long-gestating sequel, I just don't understand why they're bothering. I love Spinal Tap as much as anyone, but I've never once thought that I'd like a sequel, especially given how uninspiring their other "reunion" odds and ends have been down the years.

I see ads for lots of classic rock bands, touring small venues, and I've never thought "sure would like to know the story behind this, 40 years past their last hit of any note". Because it's always "the second bass player won the name in a court case, grabbed the cheapest session musicians he could find and tried to bleed his last remaining fans of their pensions".

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 13, 2022, 07:19:50 AMPlease lads, PLEASE don't fuck this up

I remember Harry Shearer arguing with Reiner about the sound of the hammer hitting the pod thing Shearer was trapped in because you wouldn't be able to hear the hammer sound over the sound of the music. Attention to detail like that and most if not all subsequent Tap stuff being of high quality bodes well for this.

No matter what, the original is so perfect that you need to downgrade your expectations. If that's possible.

AllisonSays

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 13, 2022, 10:28:24 AMYeah the only way this really works is that are there are real world equivalents of aged rock stars playing past their prime, which is a rich source for comedy.

Hopefully at worse it won't tarnish the first film in any way.

Absolutely. If they do it as the Stones, basically - this kind of profoundly uncanny thing of guys in their 70s playing songs from their teens and 20s - that seems like a very funny idea, if executed well.

Replies From View

I'm planning to anticipate this as the 2010: The Year We Made Contact of Spinal Tap.

Ferris

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2022, 09:08:49 AMIsn't there already a sequel?

Break Like the Wind is sort of a spiritual sequel?

Will be honest lads, I loved the original and it's still one of my favourite films ever and I don't want them to make this, frankly, because I think it'll be slightly shit.

kalowski

There's no way it will be even remotely as good, but that won't matter, because This Is Spinal Tap is one of the greatest things ever and cannot be sullied. In fact, I'm starting a thread.

checkoutgirl

Isn't there a 6 hour bootleg of the first film knocking about somewhere? If they're that ruthless with editing and film so much that they don't need, hopefully they keep that ethic. Harry Shearer is a lunatic and McKean has done great work in the intervening years. My only worry is Guest. His last decent project was A Mighty Wind and that's 19 years ago and he's been pumping out mediocre fare since then. And For Your Consideration was both quite average and he couldn't muster the backbone to spurn the advances of Ricky Gervais, that's concerning.

Reiner has directed some proper Hollywood crackers but he's also directed North. It'll be interesting to see if they can all come together and recreate that old magic.

Even is there's only a few brilliant jokes, as long as the rest of it isn't terrible then on balance I think it's worth it. It's not like any of them need the money or publicity or acting experience. They can only really be motivated by a decent script, the chance to improvise some good stuff with their old mates and the desire to make something as good as it can be.

Who knows? It could be great.

Goldentony

do we get a sad piano version of Big Bottoms for the trailer?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Goldentony on May 27, 2022, 10:08:54 PMdo we get a sad piano version of Big Bottoms for the trailer?

Acapella sung by Billy Eilish.

kalowski

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 27, 2022, 10:06:27 PMIsn't there a 6 hour bootleg of the first film knocking about somewhere? If they're that ruthless with editing and film so much that they don't need, hopefully they keep that ethic. Harry Shearer is a lunatic and McKean has done great work in the intervening years. My only worry is Guest. His last decent project was A Mighty Wind and that's 19 years ago and he's been pumping out mediocre fare since then. And For Your Consideration was both quite average and he couldn't muster the backbone to spurn the advances of Ricky Gervais, that's concerning.

Reiner has directed some proper Hollywood crackers but he's also directed North. It'll be interesting to see if they can all come together and recreate that old magic.

Even is there's only a few brilliant jokes, as long as the rest of it isn't terrible then on balance I think it's worth it. It's not like any of them need the money or publicity or acting experience. They can only really be motivated by a decent script, the chance to improvise some good stuff with their old mates and the desire to make something as good as it can be.

Who knows? It could be great.
Family Tree was less than 10 years ago and was pretty good.