Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids in the Hall - 2022

Started by Ham Bap, May 11, 2022, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

27 years since the last series.
Coming to Amazon Prime on Friday night, 8 episodes.

https://youtu.be/NBLa3lOb3D8

https://youtu.be/jJbBIF-NZOc

mippy

Ooh, I've been watching it for the first time recently. They all really make good women.

steveh

Also a two-part documentary, Comedy Punks, arriving at the same time on Prime. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJIYL0PdFJI.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mippy on May 11, 2022, 10:37:27 AMThey all really make good women.

Apparently Dave Foley was asked out by a crew member while he was in drag. Despite being a big fan of the kids I'm not excited by this at all. Sketch comedy TV is a young man's game and you can't go back, it's never as good the second time, is it? Especially with a quarter century gap.

Then again sketch comedy shows are pretty much dead (Tim Robinson notwithstanding) since Limmy retired so maybe they can come back and put the world to rights. Show these young whippersnappers how it's done.

Maybe sketch shows aren't dead, maybe I'm old. Be great if they did a live show and brought to this side of the pond.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: steveh on May 11, 2022, 02:14:02 PMAlso a two-part documentary, Comedy Punks, arriving at the same time on Prime. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJIYL0PdFJI.

There's already at least three documentays already out there. I'm pretty sure they've done two live shows in the last decade or so and each had its own documentary if memory serves.

Blumf

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 11, 2022, 03:42:07 PMDespite being a big fan of the kids I'm not excited by this at all. Sketch comedy TV is a young man's game and you can't go back, it's never as good the second time, is it? Especially with a quarter century gap.

Death Comes to Town (2008) was probably the better direction to take. They really do excel at those grotesque characters.

There's talk about a US version of Inside No. 9, The Kids need to be in that, if it happens.

boinks

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 11, 2022, 03:42:07 PMApparently Dave Foley was asked out by a crew member while he was in drag.

And Mark, too, in his Hotel La Rut get up. Understandable.

Magnum Valentino

Anyone else started watching from the start recently? I'm struggling with the flippancy with which the word
Spoiler alert
fag/got
[close]
is used and I don't like the probable justification that one of the lads is gay so it's OK.

Anyone any thoughts on this? Generally speaking I've loved every episode but that word makes me wince.

Really looking forward to the new series and the documentaries, and if anyone has links to the above mentioned other docs, lemme have em!

McChesney Duntz

Same Guys, New Dresses (2001):

boinks

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 11, 2022, 07:03:51 PMAnyone else started watching from the start recently? I'm struggling with the flippancy with which the word
Spoiler alert
fag/got
[close]
is used and I don't like the probable justification that one of the lads is gay so it's OK.

It's definitely one of those words that's hard to hear (although some say it's been/being 'reclaimed' by the gay community), but to be fair Scott's usually the one bandying it about ('Running f*t, running free', etc) and it was absolutely his choice to do so - he's no shrinking violet. From any interview I've read/heard with him he fully stands by it, and anything else he did to make people sit up and listen. We might not be comfortable with it, but he was.

BeardFaceMan

Yes, Scott was a very provocative and confrontational person back then and it's reflected in his material, people being uncomfortable is usually the reaction he's going for with that stuff. Scott is the only gay member of the Kids but Paul Bellini was one of the main writers for the show and gay too so I think 'flippant' is the wrong word to use though, their use of the word is usually more thought out than that, it was a word directly affecting them.

Super fucking excited for the new series, can't wait.

QDRPHNC

This new, short interview on the CBC just popped up, if anyone is interested:

QDRPHNC

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 11, 2022, 07:41:36 PMYes, Scott was a very provocative and confrontational person back then and it's reflected in his material, people being uncomfortable is usually the reaction he's going for with that stuff.

Super fucking excited for the new series, can't wait.

Yeah, I wasn't here to see it, but Toronto was known for being a weirdly puritanical place up until the late 80s / early 90s (there's a neighborhood called the Junction that was dry up until 2000), so between his punk band and KITH, Scott was shocking people into paying attention, I think.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 11, 2022, 07:03:51 PMthat word makes me wince

Isn't that the point? It's a bit cheeky and politically incorrect. It worked for me at the time and I think it hold up as one of their most memorable sketches still. There's probably loads of stuff in the numerous Buddy Cole bits that cross the line too but Thompson's gay so he gets away with it.

The odd wince here and there is the price of comedy if you ask me.

lipsink

I hope this doesn't end up being a load of old guys doing jokes about trans people.

checkoutgirl

The Kids In The Hall: Laughing Ourselves Sick (Documentary, 1996)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lipsink on May 11, 2022, 08:12:55 PMI hope this doesn't end up being a load of old guys doing jokes about trans people.

It'll be a load of old guys anyway, McCulloch is 60. Not to belabour the age thing but being that age and pulling off sketch comedy can be tricky, some stuff can look undignified. They had a sketch in the original run that was basically, he's hip, he's cool, he's 40. The joke being look at this 40 year old fart trying to be cool, that was the whole joke.

They're now one and a half times that. They can't pull off the young women in the office stuff anymore. Be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm cautiously pessimistic but also a huge fan so will watch the whole thing regardless.

McChesney Duntz

I know someone (as big a KITH fan as myself, and also not shy when it comes to criticism) who has seen a few of the new episodes and proclaimed them to be really good. Also, and I quote,
Spoiler alert
if you ever wanted to see some of the Kids nude, you're in luck. (This may be a trigger warning as much as a spoiler, considering their age and physical condition.)
[close]

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 11, 2022, 08:08:28 PMIsn't that the point? It's a bit cheeky and politically incorrect. It worked for me at the time and I think it hold up as one of their most memorable sketches still. There's probably loads of stuff in the numerous Buddy Cole bits that cross the line too but Thompson's gay so he gets away with it.

The odd wince here and there is the price of comedy if you ask me.

Which sketch are YOU thinking of? I'm not thinking of a particular sketch, certainly not the monologues Scott does. I'm thinking of things like Bruce asking his wife if his son's turned into a THAT WORD yet because of her parenting, that's what I mean by flippant.

There are times when it's used as part of casual slang, in addition to the argument for it being a case of reclaiming it as part of an obviously gay character provoking applause from a supportive crowd while delivering a monologue about himself and the scene he frequents.

McChesney Duntz

boinks

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 11, 2022, 08:47:04 PMI'm cautiously pessimistic but also a huge fan so will watch the whole thing regardless.

Exactly how I feel about it. I'm excited for it but don't want their reputation/my love for them to be tarnished if it's not great. I'll be cautiously optimistic.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 11, 2022, 08:57:09 PMWhich sketch are YOU thinking of?

I assume you meant Thompson running free in his bear trapper's hat. It's so over the top that that's part of the joke. You even wrote it fag/got which is how they pronounce it in the song.

Billy Brown

All the new episodes are up now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 11, 2022, 08:57:53 PMAnd look, here's a sketch:

Some nice lines in there, Foley's pronunciation of Nicaragua, McCullochs little claps at the suggestion of McKinney cooking himself, nothing ball-bustingly funny but I enjoyed that. Interesting to see there's no laugh track, I think the whole show might be audience-free. Looking forward to finding out.

metaltax

Twilkes

It was a very, very gentle sketch, but boy can they hold the screen. I'll probably dip into a few episodes to see what's going on.

olliebean

That was the best sketch in episode 1.

Shaky

Quote from: olliebean on May 13, 2022, 09:54:42 AMThat was the best sketch in episode 1.

Nah, far from it but it makes more sense amongst the others. Watched two episodes and there are enough big laughs to recapture the old magic. Even the less funny stuff is well acted and creates the same interesting little worlds the old stuff did. A lot of the.older stuff is just little.vignettes that are entertaining without being massively funny and this new series is no different.

The zoom meeting in Ep2 is amazing - taking quite a thin idea and running it to ridiculous extremes. Think this all fitting in quite nicely with their legacy.