Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:10:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What have your teachers done (apart from noncing)

Started by Gurke and Hare, May 14, 2022, 11:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I've just found out that my history teacher wrote this book about gangsters in Birmingham in the 19th century:

QuotePhilip Gooderson, M.A., Ph.D., is a retired schoolmaster and local historian with a special interest in the history of Victorian street gangs. He is the author of two previous non-fiction books.

He never taught us about Victorian street gangs, he seemed more bothered about Victorian Prime Ministers. Still, this was published before the peaky blinders show, so no reason to doubt his sincerity. A solid 4.4/5 average rating.

What good things did your teacher do in their retirement?

Mobius

One of my PE teachers was at the limpics and played rugger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Wing

he also appeared on an episode of Blind Date

Fambo Number Mive

One of our music teachers wrote a book on trolley buses of an English city that was put in a glass case in the school library.

One of our maths teachers used to be a police inspector.

It's weird going past my school on the bus and seeing teachers who were old when they taught me still there 22 years later.

Sebastian Cobb

One nearly lost their job because they were too much of a skinflint to record the late-night educational stuff the BBC show in the small hours on a fresh DVDR and accidentally ended up showing a class of middle-school kids some smut they'd also recorded off the telly.

Another retired recently but I'd heard on the grapevine that he destroyed his marriage by having an affair with another history teacher.

That's all I know really.

touchingcloth

Mr McKewan punched Aidan Macnamara in the head.

Shaky

About a week after he retired, my old physics teacher fell prey to some sort of strange dementia-like illness which various doctors could never properly diagnosis. It literally just appeared one day, as if he had no reason to carry on with his career in the past. He "lived" like that for about a decade before snuffing it. Very chilling stuff.

Art Bear

Mr Talbot was released from prison in December 2019.

Our headteacher was jailed for stealing £50k from a school holiday fund.

One of the art teachers (long hair, flamboyant moustache, drove an orange MG) was arrested by police one night in the town's red light area with a young lady in his car. Turns out he was just giving her a lift home though.

greencalx

Quote from: Shaky on May 15, 2022, 02:52:34 AMAbout a week after he retired, my old physics teacher fell prey to some sort of strange dementia-like illness which various doctors could never properly diagnosis. It literally just appeared one day, as if he had no reason to carry on with his career in the past. He "lived" like that for about a decade before snuffing it. Very chilling stuff.

Seems that physics teaching is an occupational hazard. My first, and most excellent, physics teacher apparently got mugged outside his house, which (I believe) caused him some brain damage that left him unable to work. He had to come in for a few days to reboot his sick pay, and was a shadow of his former self. Poor guy.

Icehaven

Two male teachers at my secondary school were "known" to have had affairs with 6th form girls, however as neither lost their job I've no idea if it was just rumours that got out of hand or if it was true but hey it's the 90s no one cares about this stuff yet. Both of them also had sons who were pupils there so that might have been why it was swept under the carpet, if it was. Strangely both the sons were also dickheads, which I guess you might be if the whole school thought your dad was a philandering nonce.

Butchers Blind

Like how this started out with teachers writing books but quickly descended into teachers committing acts of noncing.

One of my art teachers went to prison for sexually assaulting a barmaid.

Icehaven

Just also remembered one of the art teachers accidentally ran over his own daughter and she died, and for some reason this made him find God.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 14, 2022, 11:26:18 PMOne of our music teachers wrote a book on trolley buses of an English city that was put in a glass case in the school library.

One of our maths teachers used to be a police inspector.

It's weird going past my school on the bus and seeing teachers who were old when they taught me still there 22 years later.

They probably just seemed old because you were so young. I've only seen two of my teachers since leaving school. Now I'm curious and really want to drive past, slowly at the beginning or the end of the day to see if I recognise any of them.

buttgammon

One of my primary school teachers became the leader of Flintshire County Council.

Twit 2

Chair of governors at my high school, was a lay preacher as well, jailed for historic noncings.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 15, 2022, 09:24:25 AMThey probably just seemed old because you were so young. I've only seen two of my teachers since leaving school. Now I'm curious and really want to drive past, slowly at the beginning or the end of the day to see if I recognise any of them.

Banger of an excuse, and you've laid a nice time stamped  alibi down here also

JaDanketies

Biology teacher lost a leg. Probably diabetes. Should've paid more attention in biology

One of my English teachers was an alcoholic and got arrested after climbing onto his roof and using an airgun to snipe at the teenagers who used to hang around near his house at night.

He was wildly unpredictable because of the booze and would either sleep at his desk or march up and down the classroom roaring stories about his time in the Hong Kong police force at us. He also brought in an extensive lockpicking set and taught us how to pick locks, for reasons I can't remember.

His lessons were a nice respite from the antics of the Nonce Mafia who ran the place

studpuppet

One of my primary school teachers (the only male teacher in the school apart from the headmaster) ran off with one of the kids' mothers not long after I left. I only know this because many years later I started working with his son, and when I asked how his dad was, he said, "Don't know - haven't spoken to him since I was twelve."

My politics/economics teacher in secondary school was this cunt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Amos

pigamus

Quote from: Icehaven on May 15, 2022, 09:14:43 AMJust also remembered one of the art teachers accidentally ran over his own daughter and she died, and for some reason this made him find God.

That's some satnav the fella had there

Blofelds Cat

Delivered a speech from the Fourth plinth of Trafalgar Square...

The Mollusk

Off-topic but I feel like sharing it so fuck you: Someone I was friends with in secondary school became a teacher at my primary school, which I discovered when my mum sent me the article from the local paper when he left for another job and was celebrated by the whole school for being such a beloved and wonderful teacher. I looked him up on Facebook and saw he has a son now, and recognised that he was named after the bloke's childhood dog (remembered this from skool daze). The whole experience was so fucking lovely it made me cry.

Twit 2

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 15, 2022, 01:47:45 PMOff-topic but I feel like sharing it so fuck you: Someone I was friends with in secondary school became a teacher at my primary school, which I discovered when my mum sent me the article from the local paper when he left for another job and was celebrated by the whole school for being such a beloved and wonderful teacher. I looked him up on Facebook and saw he has a son now, and recognised that he was named after the bloke's childhood dog (remembered this from skool daze). The whole experience was so fucking lovely it made me cry.

Shame he was a nonce, then.

Twit 2

Oh sorry, didn't read the (apart from noncing) bit. Thought this was a wall-to-wall nonce thread.

Replies From View

All the teachers at my school were called McFly, bunch of slackers and not one of them amounted to anything.

JaDanketies

My university seminar tutor is the only teacher I've had that has a wikipedia page, afaik, although I fancy slapping a 'notability' tag on it cos she gave me a shit grade for creative writing that tanked my average and left me with a 2:2

tbh I think she was opposed to my erotica in general

danwho9

Very little, but it has to be said that it seems like every school has teachers with 'reputations'.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 15, 2022, 02:16:32 PMtbh I think she was opposed to my erotica in general

Maybe she got tired of being the protagonist all the time.

pigamus

Fishfinger

Apart from teaching, he nonced. I hate him to this day. In the actual spirit of the thread title, I have reason to believe he played bass and did some amateur dramatics.