Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision Song Contest 2022 - Russines eunt domus

Started by Captain Z, March 10, 2022, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollity

We came second! Our sixteenth second place, and very twentieth century retro. Any of you nerds have Twitter accounts, you should try and get #partylikeits1998 trending

Spoiler alert
1998 being the last time the UK came second, of course
[close]

Captain Z

I did search for the official Eurovision app a few days ago. It's rated 1.6/5 and is full of complaints that the voting method is just a bloated way of making your phone dial the number.

jobotic

Quote from: Icehaven on May 15, 2022, 12:14:19 AMUkraine could have had a drunk chimp hitting a dustbin lid

Quote from: non capisco on May 15, 2022, 12:15:35 AMPlease let that be our entry next year.

I don't think Prime Ministers are eligible!!!!!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 15, 2022, 12:07:49 AMUk hosting next year. Corden and Samantha Janus to host.

Good night.
If it's not Graham Norton and the corpse of Katie Boyle I'll be most upset. Would settle for Geri Halliwell and Matt Smith otherwise.

Quote from: Icehaven on May 15, 2022, 12:14:19 AMUkraine could have had a drunk chimp hitting a dustbin lid and they'd still have won this year but I never for a second thought it'd cost the UK first place.

Those aren't dustbin lids, and I don't know how drunk she is, but I'd definitely vote for this:

EOLAN

If their wasn't the Putin effect, I think Spain would have won. Looked like they had more points to gain from the public vote.

pigamus

I remember Michael Ball losing was very dramatic - did he lose on the last vote?

DrGreggles

Quote from: pigamus on May 15, 2022, 12:45:40 AMI remember Michael Ball losing was very dramatic - did he lose on the last vote?

You're thinking of Celine Dion vs Bruce Forsyth in 1988.

pigamus

I've just looked it up and apparently Sonia came second as well - I've no memory of that whatsoever

imitationleather

Quote from: pigamus on May 15, 2022, 12:55:53 AMI've just looked it up and apparently Sonia came second as well - I've no memory of that whatsoever

One day you'll have basically no memory of anything. I sometimes think about that myself and get a bit weirded out.

pigamus

What if Sonia is the only thing you remember

imitationleather

I reckon before too long the only thing I'll remember will be Love City Groove.

imitationleather

steve98

Quote from: Sex Festival Organizer on May 15, 2022, 12:32:38 AMThose aren't dustbin lids, and I don't know how drunk she is, but I'd definitely vote for this:

That gets funnier and funnier (If you stick with it)

Kankurette

Quote from: imitationleather on May 15, 2022, 01:08:07 AM

THEY WOZ ROBBED
Love City Groove should have won, dammit.

I missed Eurovision as I was at the meet and the trains went tits up, but liked the Ukrainian entry. At least it was fun and had Cossack dancing and stupid hats. Not some dull ballad. Is this our best result since Katrina and the Waves?

imitationleather

Quote from: Kankurette on May 15, 2022, 02:06:01 AMLove City Groove should have won, dammit.

I missed Eurovision as I was at the meet and the trains went tits up, but liked the Ukrainian entry. At least it was fun and had Cossack dancing and stupid hats. Not some dull ballad. Is this our best result since Katrina and the Waves?

We came 2nd the year after Katrina and the Waves.

What a time to be alive that was.

imitationleather

Looking forward to waking to a world where the UK is officially the best non-war-torn country within the European Broadcasting Union.

Really things like finally are on the up at last.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 15, 2022, 12:15:22 AMThat man said there were 20 votes on the official app.

And you trusted him? He's Italian!

greencalx

Not sure I really understand people getting exercised about Eurovision voting (Tel's whinging about bloc votes got on my wick back in the day). It's always more an indicator of dispositions towards the different nations in the EBU, modulated by superficial aspects of the performance of a crappy song, rather than the other way round. The supposedly dispassionate jury votes show clear cultural biases, which probably spill over to the political in some cases, although the televote does tend to congregate around a small number of entries. Ultimately to come in the top 5 you generally need to come in the top 10 with both juries and the general public (Serbia was an exception last night).

If Ukraine hadn't got the empathy vote last night, it's not obvious the UK would have won because we didn't get very many 10 points from the televote. Seems the public were attracted to gimmicks (Moldova), flesh (Spain) and outright weirdness (Serbia), which is fair enough. The reversal of the UK's fortunes demonstrates the importance of the act having some visibility across the participating nations before heading into the contest.

sevendaughters

Ooof, I'm worried about reading back. I was gone from just after the last performance and the exaggerated filler just led me down gin street.

I think the juries have a compensatory role, consciously or no, to give weight to artistry and play down the totally random. But yeah, you have to hit hard with each. I think nearly everyone gave UKR the douze and it was the war wat won it, but I don't care. Does make for quite the story, especially if they go there and do it.

sevendaughters

also one of the UKR lot was actually in last year's, so a nice reward for sticking at it

Attila

Graham Norton and/or Rylan would be fun hosts, but knowing the way things are, it would be James Corden and Claire Balding, wouldn't it.

My other choice would be Andrew Cotter as commentator. In the style of his Mabel/Olive/sports persona.

sevendaughters

OK so I have read the breakdowns of public scoring and UKR got 12/10/8 from EVERYONE except 1: Serbia, who gave 7. Politics really is rife.

PlanktonSideburns

If it's politics how are we Not last? Who likes us?

JaDanketies

Amazing that everyone doesn't hate us. It makes no sense.

I voted for France, which was total wasted money, they didn't even get a point from the UK. Did feel pretty flash calling a premium-rate phone line tho

sevendaughters

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 15, 2022, 09:58:56 AMIf it's politics how are we Not last? Who likes us?

Maltese, ex-pats in Spain and Portugal.

Just kidding. We did well with the juries; lots of flesh-pressing. They have some pre-show awards for 'artistry' (Serbia), a songwriters' song of the year (Sweden), and a press award - we won that. We played a game and did well at it.

The song did quite well on the continent. You also have to remember a lot of people in Europe want out of the EU too, so some might see us as a beacon of sovereignity. I don't know. Politics can't explain everything, but thinks like Serbia (backed by Putin) not going all out for Ukraine is clearly that.

JaDanketies

The Serbia song sounded like it was a bit of a dig at us, maybe

sevendaughters

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 15, 2022, 10:15:09 AMThe Serbia song sounded like it was a bit of a dig at us, maybe

Apparently not!

QuoteEntering Pesma za Evroviziju '22 as an underdog to promote Triptih, Konstrakta gained immense popularity after her performance in the first semi-final of the national final. Her avant-garde song and performance have been variably characterized as satire, irony or critique of the Serbian healthcare system, mass media, the COVID-19 pandemic and beauty standards;[3] and how all of these factors distract from the importance of mental health. The performance itself has also been compared to the works of Serbian performance artist Marina Abramović.

Captain Z

Sam Ryder is also very popular on the Tictacs, which probably won some votes from those who were allowed to stay up past their bedtime.

sevendaughters

anyway - I think the whole thing, when you take a smug backward step as I am doing now, was a ringing endorsement of UK pop music. Lots of people emulating songs by recent British songwriters, or copying the specific intonation of the current crop of UK radiohog singers. Like when Germany won with their own version of a Kate Nash song. I'm not glad because current UK pop music is edgeless dreck, but aside from a couple of Americanisms and certain countries sticking to what they do best, it was a very UK commercial radio Eurovision this year. Hence why it felt a bit stale and boring.