Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists/bands who don't look/sound like their name

Started by thelittlemango, May 14, 2022, 07:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've always been intrigued by the disparity between an artist/band's name and then pressing play and what comes out of the speakers sounds nothing like that, or they just don't LOOK like you imagine, like watching the film of a treasured book.

One of these is Jah Wobble, I always assumed this was some kind of iconic Jamican bass player when I was a kid, finally saw him playing at a festival and looked like a member of Madness or someone who might play saxophone at a Pizza Express jazz gig

Any others that come to mind?

Replies From View

I always expected Celine Dion to be a black sumo wrestler

bigfatheart

Prefab Sprout sound like they should be a wacky herky-jerky new wave band.

dontpaintyourteeth

Grateful Dead (with their skull logo) are significantly less metal than they should be

willbo

there's a young female indie folk singer called Skullcrusher now

purlieu

My Bloody Valentine should be the name of a mid-'00s melodic metalcore band.
Tangerine Dream started out in a vaguely psych rock way in the late '60s, but none of their recorded material fits the name at all.

Brundle-Fly

Oasis should be an 80s jazz funk band from Southampton.

Video Game Fan 2000

Stone Roses not being a goth band, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry not being a baggy band
The Meat Puppets robbed a future riot grrl band of a very appropriate name
fucking Todd Rundgren and Peter Gabriel : they should swap heads

DrGreggles

imitationleather

Quote from: purlieu on May 14, 2022, 09:00:38 PMMy Bloody Valentine should be the name of a mid-'00s melodic metalcore band.

I didn't listen to them for years and years because I assumed they were going to be some My Chemical Romance-type shite.

DJ Bob Hoskins

When a friend recommended I listen to the 1990 album "The Power of Pussy" by a band called Bongwater, I replied that I wasn't really into that whole Chili Peppers / NOFX kind of music.

I certainly wasn't expecting a really good sample-laden, 60s-tinged album containing everything from shoegaze to an old folk tune that wouldn't seem out of place on The Wicker Man soundtrack.

Shaky

Anal Cunt. The main guy was a man, not some sort of bottom with a vagina.

Aleister Growley

Massive Attack should be a terrifying metal version of Sigue Sigue Sputnik, not noodling jazz funkers.

Spode

I must admit, I've never really had a problem seeing Blur clearly.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 14, 2022, 07:36:01 PMGrateful Dead (with their skull logo) are significantly less metal than they should be

I always thought they would be like early 70s Hawkwind, groove based but maybe not as heavy, then I heard them 😴

dontpaintyourteeth

Primal Scream. For all their wee little changes in style. Never suited their name.

The Mollusk

Quote from: purlieu on May 14, 2022, 09:00:38 PMMy Bloody Valentine should be the name of a mid-'00s melodic metalcore band.

Bullet For My Valentine took the reins there.

The Mollusk

Quote from: phantom_power on May 15, 2022, 12:32:26 PMMegabog sound like a long lost Grebo band

Similarly Smog would be way more suited to a stoner/doom metal band.

The Flaming Lips have a deceptive name as well, it makes you think they might be a good band.

Frances Black. She has nothing to do with the Pixies and doesn't resemble its folicly-challenged frontman.

Pauline Walnuts

Pink Fairies

You'd expect really aggressive 70s hard rock, instead you get err... err.. timid nothing 3rd on the bill at Hawkwind all dayer Bluzsrock.

chutnut

Quote from: Aleister Growley on May 15, 2022, 10:13:30 AMMassive Attack
noodling jazz funkers.
Wat

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 15, 2022, 12:39:31 PMThe Flaming Lips have a deceptive name as well, it makes you think they might be a good band.

Wat

The Mollusk

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on May 15, 2022, 01:08:00 PMPink Fairies

You'd expect really aggressive 70s hard rock, instead you get err... err.. timid nothing 3rd on the bill at Hawkwind all dayer Bluzsrock.

Politely disagree - at their peak they were on par with MC5 or The Stooges

Kurt Vile and the Violators sounds like some kind of abrasive garage punk outfit, rather than a languid, hippyish permanently stoned-looking bloke and his band playing long, meandering mellow songs.

Don't think he uses the Violators name any more, mind you.

What the name Cutting Crew suggests to me:

The actual Cutting Crew:

Kankurette

The Eagles of Death Metal are not remotely death metal.