Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: shoulders on May 16, 2022, 08:30:22 PMDespite the criticism up the page this is ultimately still a pertinent thing to bring up. If JKR thinks the trans rights activists  are unintentionally hilarious then they are clearly not intimidating or a threat, whereas if she had found them intimidating and had genuine cause to hit the 'men attacking women' alarm that quite clearly contains no element of humour at all, let alone hilarity.

What JKR meant was a sort of sociopathic 'Lol, One-Nil' and that's literally all. Either she found it sociopathically amusing or has sincere concern. Looks for all the world like the former. Quelle surprise.

That doesn't make sense though. Look at the quotes again:

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 16, 2022, 02:41:08 AMAnd of course, Rowling has jumped on it:

She's not saying they look unintentionally hilarious, she's saying that it's hilarious to think that dressing up like that is a good tactical move to make. This does not preclude them from also looking threatening, because they do, I can say that objectively. And it is unintentionally hilarious in a Four Lions sort of style because it is, as she says, dumb that anyone would think it to be a good idea.

Edit: she's also saying that their actions are intimidating, that's the focus there.

petril

so does she think Chewbacca's a bear or not then? that's the real question

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 16, 2022, 10:24:02 PMThat doesn't make sense though. Look at the quotes again:

She's not saying they look unintentionally hilarious, she's saying that it's hilarious to think that dressing up like that is a good tactical move to make. This does not preclude them from also looking threatening, because they do, I can say that objectively. And it is unintentionally hilarious in a Four Lions sort of style because it is, as she says, dumb that anyone would think it to be a good idea.

Edit: she's also saying that their actions are intimidating, that's the focus there.
I mean, of course, she's also saying that these individuals somehow represent the entire trans community, or even the entire pro-trans community, as if we have some sort of say over what other people wear or what they do. It'd be different if the shoe was on the other foot, I suspect, and she'd go all "how DARE you! This is OUTRAGEOUS! UNBELIEVABLE! DISGUSTING!!!" or whatever overreaction is most fashionable amongst GCs now.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

no_offenc

FalknerHinton

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2022, 09:46:56 PMIt's fucking great. All the "silent majority" and "right side of history" shit will be completely blown away by the most famous show on British television (hopefully) proving how accepting most people in the country are of trans people

This, and Jake Daniels being the first out gay professional footballer in the UK in thirty-two years, with Stonewall getting spoken about positively in the press in terms of the support they're giving him, his family and his club, and it's not going to be a happy evening down on the plantain patch.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 16, 2022, 06:53:01 PMJust went to look for that old video where he looks totally different and saw that he was on a podcast 3 weeks ago

Wow. He's straight up cat-fishing 🤣

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 16, 2022, 06:53:01 PMJust went to look for that old video where he looks totally different and saw that he was on a podcast 3 weeks ago

Oh god I was so distracted by the whole 'photoshop on the selfies' thing I didn't even notice he was in the fucking tardis hahahaha

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on May 17, 2022, 12:46:09 AMOh god I was so distracted by the whole 'photoshop on the selfies' thing I didn't even notice he was on the fucking tardis hahahaha

Barry Admin

Quote from: FalknerHinton on May 16, 2022, 06:34:20 PMDidn't his wife say that she thinks he must secretly want to sleep with a trans woman given how utterly obsessed with them he is, or was that a different Critter?

Yeah, and then he added the memorable line which was something like: "well she doesn't know any better, she's Indonesian."

The Late Satoru Iwata

Sonny_Jim

Sian getting in on the 'WAF question'

EDIT:  Black Pampers is pretty funny, I'll give them that.

EDIT2:  Their next demo is in Bristol.  It's going to end badly for them.

Mister Six

Will Glinner go apeshit about Russell T Davies casting a trans girl for his Doctor Who episodes, or do you reckon 6'6", outspoken, give-no-shits BAFTA god Davies intimidates him too much?

Sonny_Jim

He prefers to take endless pot shots at Jon Ronson 'because he used to be my friend'.

Ex_GC

Quote from: Sonny_Jim

EDIT2:  Their next demo is in Bristol.  It's going to end badly for them.
/quote]

I honestly can't think of a more left-wing and LGBTQ+ plus supportive city in the UK

JaDanketies

I thought that about them coming to Manchester, it's just slightly less provocative than coming to Bristol. I don't see why this should be viewed in a significantly different light than the EDL going to Bradford, even if the terfs skew posher with more women. They know why they picked Bristol and Manchester, we know why they did. The bad optics are that they get away with it.

Sonny_Jim

It's an escalation from the 'walking into the gay pub and hassling the bar staff', deliberately going to the places where they'll face the most pushback, as it'll give them great footage.  DM Headline 'LetWomenSpeak?  Womens rights demonstation surrounded by pro-trans hate mob'.

Ex_GC

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 17, 2022, 07:11:38 AMI thought that about them coming to Manchester, it's just slightly less provocative than coming to Bristol. I don't see why this should be viewed in a significantly different light than the EDL going to Bradford, even if the terfs skew posher with more women. They know why they picked Bristol and Manchester, we know why they did. The bad optics are that they get away with it.

You're right, it really is unfair that they get to provoke people and then play the victim afterwards

Pimhole

Quote from: phantom_power on May 16, 2022, 09:46:56 PMIt's fucking great. All the "silent majority" and "right side of history" shit will be completely blown away by the most famous show on British television (hopefully) proving how accepting most people in the country are of trans people

When I first read this I was hoping it was Bethany Black. Perhaps she'll also show up in it again in some capacity.

Actually, if we could get Bethany on Taskmaster or Bake Off, it would be game over for trans exclusion.

Sonny_Jim

Just listening KJK's video '#letwomenspeak The aftermath'.  Some notes:

Not once in a half hour video does she actually talk about the demonstration.  (She mentions it briefly toward the end)

Spends most of the video begging for money, says they are on a shoestring budget, don't usually ask for money etc

Is willing to fly to America to appear, but someone else has to pay for the ticket and she won't fly economy.  She must be pissing away TERF money on business class flights from Dublin to Manchester, Bristol etc.

When someone pops up in the chat and says maybe we shouldn't align with people like Tucker Carlson, she defends him saying 'he's a very nice man.'

I'm utterly bemused that anyone watching it can't see it for the grift it is.

EDIT: That fucking sign off. 

QuoteYou know why else we're going to win?
(sigh)
Because I
[pause for dramatic effect, but just a tiny bit too long]
Never
[pause again]
Lose.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 17, 2022, 05:35:40 AMHe prefers to take endless pot shots at Jon Ronson 'because he used to be my friend'.

After everything Linehan has said and done, his targeting of Ronson still provokes a particular disgust. I'm maybe just falling for the gentle soul way Ronson presents himself, but I think it's also the way Linehan, during their Twitter run-ins, would use time he supposedly shouted down an antisemite in Ronson's defence as leverage. Had "know your place" vibes to it.

Ex_GC

Did anyone see that Posie video where she said her husband wouldn't dare leave her as his life wouldn't be worth living?

Sonny_Jim

Twitter was built for people who say 'I never lose'. 

EDIT:  I Never Lose is Gender Critical in a nutshell, isn't it?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 17, 2022, 08:33:27 AM
The internet personality best known for that sort of hubris-as-a-gimmick approach is Maddox, and I don't think he's doing terribly well for himself nowadays.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 17, 2022, 08:33:27 AM

I watched an interview with her on triggernometry once. She was so boring. She barely had the energy to finish most of her sentences and the entire show had no momentum at all.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: shoulders on May 16, 2022, 08:30:22 PMDespite the criticism up the page this is ultimately still a pertinent thing to bring up. If JKR thinks the trans rights activists  are unintentionally hilarious then they are clearly not intimidating or a threat, whereas if she had found them intimidating and had genuine cause to hit the 'men attacking women' alarm that quite clearly contains no element of humour at all, let alone hilarity.

I haven't followed the discussion so forgive me if this is wrong but what about Charlie Chaplin making a comedy out of the Nazis? Four Lions? You can find something terrifying and ridiculous / provoking hilarity at the same time

Posie Parker was on Piers Morgan's show yesterday and it was the first time ever I'd seen the host stand up for trans people in an interview with her to be fair to him.

A Morgan interview with the potassinated saviour of women would be a banger I expect.

shoulders

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 17, 2022, 09:13:43 AMI haven't followed the discussion so forgive me if this is wrong but what about Charlie Chaplin making a comedy out of the Nazis? Four Lions? You can find something terrifying and ridiculous / provoking hilarity at the same time

JKR wasn't making a film, she was reacting to an event via a tweet. Not sure I need to explain the distinction.