Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Do you reckon Coogan will have stayed in character off camera during filming like Dustin Hoffman or Ricky Gervais would?

jamiefairlie

Method acting? Fucking corpses, noncing and threatening people with sinister undertones?

Cold Meat Platter

I had no idea Sharkey was involved.

frajer

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 11, 2022, 04:36:14 AMMethod acting? Fucking corpses, noncing and threatening people with sinister undertones?

The Trip Series 5 just took a turn.

Quote from: frajer on May 11, 2022, 07:06:06 AMThe Trip Series 5 just took a turn.

Small man in a mortuary drawer

Savile with some interesting comments on and anecdotes about sex.

There are two anecdotes from Savile's autobiography in which he tries to wring pathos from failed single-night assignations as if they were profound but lost loves. It makes me think of stuff I've read about the superficial emotions and emoting of those with personality disorders.

Picking a girl up in a sports car and taking her back to another car to have sex in because you don't want to upset your mother is pure Partridge.

Mr_Simnock

I was amused by this account of a scam he was running while unable to work during his mining injury and before his DJing with a record player connected to a wireless as a loudspeaker had taken off.

This story is weird. How would so many people just happen to have autograph books with them? Why would the worker at the service station have a pillow case with her?

Dr Rock

Cos he regularly pulled into that one?

It's notable what a fondness he had for the sentimental or high-flown, in contrast to his actual nature.

In this one, he is the man who came back from death and was a little special for it. There seems an implied comparison to Christ's resurrection.

Here is Savile the benign observer of and appreciator of nature and small animals.

Savile, who feels gentle love for those who follow him and those who he sees dying.  Again, these seem implied comparisons with Christ, with celestial allusions further that seem to imply he is beyond this world.

Here is Savile as sensitive and grief-afflicted and expressing that in poignant metaphors.

Here is Savile the religious man who knows his Bible and repeats psalms.

Here is Savile the man who knows all human experience and Savile the man with a great life ('my days come and go, all filled with a fullness that is too much'), with nautical metaphors that implies he navigates Life's seas with great skill. There is an implied Olympian detachment in the second quote ('....I wonder why I am never moved to any great emotion....') which subtly indicates a degree of superiority.

In this quote he talks of 'conjuring.' Although metaphorically used, it gives not only a suggestion of Savile as a gifted verbal artist when writing but a subliminal general impression of someone with special powers.

Here he talks of others believing he is possessed by spirits, again suggesting he is other to this world in some way.

In this one, alluding to a near-miss while recording poisonous snakes for a radio show, he implies he may be immortal.

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 15, 2022, 02:44:03 PMCos he regularly pulled into that one?

Yeah, that makes sense.  If it was known he regularly went there, people could have pre-emptively given the woman working there their books for when he next came in.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 11, 2022, 04:58:35 AMI had no idea Sharkey was involved.

THE CRIME BUSTER OF THE SEA

love that fella.

petril

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 16, 2022, 08:50:33 AMIt's notable what a fondness he had for the sentimental or high-flown, in contrast to his actual nature.

he was so close to working out that he wasn't the same as everyone else, and what that actually meant. so close.

Dex Sawash

Wonder what is the largest block of Savile book text that seems completely normal?

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 16, 2022, 08:50:33 AMIt's notable what a fondness he had for the sentimental or high-flown, in contrast to his actual nature.

In this one, he is the man who came back from death and was a little special for it. There seems an implied comparison to Christ's resurrection.

Here is Savile the benign observer of and appreciator of nature and small animals.

Savile, who feels gentle love for those who follow him and those who he sees dying.  Again, these seem implied comparisons with Christ, with celestial allusions further that seem to imply he is beyond this world.

Here is Savile as sensitive and grief-afflicted and expressing that in poignant metaphors.

Here is Savile the man who knows all human experience and Savile the man with a great life ('my days come and go, all filled with a fullness that is too much'), with nautical metaphors that implies he navigates Life's seas with great skill. There is an implied Olympian detachment in the second quote ('....I wonder why I am never moved to any great emotion....') which subtly indicates a degree of superiority.

In this quote he talks of 'conjuring.' Although metaphorically used, it gives not only a suggestion of Savile as a gifted verbal artist when writing but a subliminal general impression of someone with special powers.

Here he talks of others believing he is possessed by spirits, again suggesting he is other to this world in some way.

In this one, alluding to a near-miss while recording poisonous snakes for a radio show, he implies he may be immortal.

It's interesting to compare those quotes to these below which by his own admission reveal him as acquisitive; image-conscious; promiscuous; possessing friends who use violence on his behalf; someone who exerts 'Al-Capone-like pressure' to get his way; someone who is sometimes foul-mouthed

FredNurke

One thing I've wondered more and more since the first revelations came to light: was his charity work intended to balance his ledger with St Peter (something that must have been on his mind, since he says something somewhere about making sure the good just about cancels out the bad), or did he think that he was 'earning' the right to the bad?

Despite everything, I couldn't help but laugh when it turned out he'd even cheated on marathons.

Quote from: FredNurke on May 16, 2022, 06:52:00 PMDespite everything, I couldn't help but laugh when it turned out he'd even cheated on marathons.

He pre-empts that without having first being directly asked about it in his interview with Dr Anthony Clare.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 10, 2022, 07:19:14 AMI bet he'd drop all that and be really smarmy and sycophantic.
Like Carol Beardsley when the gasman comes round.

'Oooh fookin' Hur-loo M'aam eururgh

buzby

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 15, 2022, 01:54:09 PMThis story is weird. How would so many people just happen to have autograph books with them? Why would the worker at the service station have a pillow case with her?
In the Sixties when the motorway network was small, here were some service stations that became well-known stopping points used by bands/celebs as they travelled round the country, most notably the Blue Boar/Watford Gap Services on the M1.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 17, 2022, 03:37:56 AMLike Carol Beardsley when the gasman comes round.

'Oooh fookin' Hur-loo M'aam eururgh

I always imagined it like a Tourette'sesque tic that he'd desperately try to keep under control.

"Yes, your highness, we try to keep the inmates occupied with enterSHAWADDY. WADDYtainments and 'OW'S, OW'S, OW'S ABOUT THAT THEN a strictly controlled fitne'AS IT 'APPENS, 'AS IT 'APPPPPPPPPENS, CLUNK CLICK, EUUERRRRREEEUUURRRR, JEWELERYss regime."

buzby

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 16, 2022, 06:28:14 PM

I was doing a bit of research about his Rolls Royces after you first posted that story of the modified Bentley.
Here it is in 1951, the year he rode the Tour Of Britain:

It's ostensibly a Rolls Royce Silver Dawn, but they were only sold for export until 1953. The Bentley Mk4 used the same chassis and body (it was the first Rolls/Bentley model to be produced with factory coachwork) with only the grille and bonnet top being different. Apart from the fact that you couldn't buy a Silver Dawn in the UK until 1953, the main tell that it was originally a Bentley is the central 'cyclops' driving lamp in front of the radiator. The Rolls Royce version used two smaller driving lamps beneath the headlamps:

The Bentley would hardly have been an old banger by 1951 though - they were only introduced in 1946. On the subject of this thread, it seems that the BBC have opted to use a geniune SIlver Dawn (with a fictionalised version of his personal plate):

The 'nearly new' Rolls he refers to is this Silver Cloud (picture taken in 1961 - the Silver Cloud was intoduced in 1955 to replace the Silver Dawn):

His first new Rolls that he bought from Barclays was this 1965 Silver Cloud III Drophead Coupe (which featured coachwork by Mulliner-Park Ward):

Fun Fact: This was the exact same car that was later used by David Hemmings' David Bailey-esque photogapher character in the film Blow Up:

From the Blow Up fansite:
QuoteTECHNICAL DETAILS
Make: Rolls Royce
Model: Silver Cloud III Drop Head Coupé
Manufacturer: H. J. Mulliner Park Ward
This Model Constructed: Between 1964-1966
Price (complete car): about £4,400
Registration Mark: EVN 734C
When Registered: 1965
Where Registered: The 'VN' prefix was registered in North Middlesbrough, Yorkshire
Chassis No: SHS349C
Delivery Date: Jan 65
Coachbuilder: MPW
Coachwork: 'Chinese Eye' DHC
Body No: Z.37
Design No: 2045
Reg. No: C111
Delivered to: GBR
First Owner: Jimmy Savile... GBR disc jockey
Re-registered: EVN734C; used in 1966 British film drama Blowup

TRIVIA
Thomas' Rolls Royce actually belonged to Sir Jimmy Savile OBE, KCSG, and used to be white but was painted black for the film.

So I wrote to Sir Jimmy back on 10/05/2010 (WHICH WAS LONG BEFORE HIS DEATH AND THE REVELATIONS OF HIS DISGUSTING AND PERVERTED CRIMES) in the hope of learning more. Here's the text of his hand-written reply, postmarked 17/05/2010:

In haste

Ian,

I always thought the car was destroyed as part of the film. It was a favourite of mine, but, being a lucky ex-coalminer it was one of 17 new ones so don't know if it's about - sorry.

Great memories!

Sincerely,
    Sir Jimmy.

Try as I might I cannot work out where in the finished film the car would have been destroyed. So, if anyone out there knows the whereabouts (or fate) of this car then please let me know here. Many thanks.
It didn't seem he had that one for very long (1965 was right at the end of the model's lifespan, and he presumably wanted it's replacement, the Silver Shadow) . He also seems to have inflated it's price by about 50%. Here it is again in Scarborough alongside the E-Type (so both cars that were featured in his 'mermaid' story):

On the subject of the Silver Shadows he owned, this story comes up of a man who claimed he was abused by him when he was a boy in 1972 with this accompanying photograph:

Not to deny this person his memories, but the car in the photograph is a 1976-on Silver Shadow II with plastic bumpers (the Silver Shadow I had chrome bumpers, and extra chrome vents beneath the headlamps) and it has a post-1973 black-on-white front number plate.

Quote from: buzby on May 17, 2022, 11:45:15 AMSo I wrote to Sir Jimmy back on 10/05/2010 (WHICH WAS LONG BEFORE HIS DEATH AND THE REVELATIONS OF HIS DISGUSTING AND PERVERTED CRIMES)

Were they worried people would think the got the ouija board out?

Savile's account of his parents as 'social workers.'

Sonny_Jim

Glebe

Steve Coogan on Why He Chose to Play the Sexual Predator Jimmy Savile in 'The Reckoning' [Exclusive].

Quote"Well, I thought long and hard about it. Jeff [Pope] produced it, and I didn't say yes straight away. But I thought it was very well written. The supporting cast I had were exemplary, so it had all the right things in place to make it something worthwhile, and not exploitative, or prurient, or morbid. The script was very good, and there was a lot of care taken over it. I felt like I could do it. He provokes a very, very real revulsion. When I said I was doing it, a lot of people were wondering why we're doing it. [...] He was a fascinating man, and was able to hoodwink a whole nation because he was so famous and successful, and was at the time well-loved by people before they discovered the awful truth about him."

"I'm of the mind that to prevent these things happening again, you have to look at them. It's like an uncomfortable process, but you sweep things under the carpet and try and turn your back on someone like this. I think a lot of the revulsion is because people feel the whole nation was either hoodwinked or, if you're being less kind, complicit in enabling him to do the nefarious things he did. [...] It's not just about him, it's about what kind of society lays the groundwork for someone like him to operate."

Hmmm. Well I really do hope it's a decent serious drama and that Coogan doesn't come across as a caricature.

Mobius

It's going to be really hard not to see him as Partridge doing Saville I reckon.

Seems to be taking ages though, still no release date..

Quote from: Mobius on September 15, 2022, 11:22:26 PMIt's going to be really hard not to see him as Partridge doing Saville I reckon.

Yep. Really couldn't help but hear Alan in so many of his line readings as DCI Clive Driscoll in Stephen last year