Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gone to Seed (Cook, Steadman, Broadbent)

Started by Ignatius_S, January 15, 2008, 01:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Can anyone shed any light on this show?

QuoteDirected by Sandy Johnson   Nicholas Laughland
Writing credits  Tony Grounds
Genre: Comedy / Drama
cast includes:
Jim Broadbent .... Monty
Warren Clarke .... Winston
Peter Cook .... Wesley Willis
Hilda Fenemore .... Miss Pringle
Sheila Hancock .... Mag
Andy Linden .... Big Ron
Cliff Parisi .... Robin
Rufus Sewell .... Billy
Alison Steadman .... Hilda
Sara Stockbridge .... Lucy Lastic
Jon Strickland .... Batman

There is triple trouble brewing with Millwall FC mad Hilda and her two brothers, one eyed wrestler Winston and dreaming singer Monty.

The Plant family [geddit!!?!] have run their garden centre in Rotherhithe since charles Dickens' time - but now family rivalry threatens to poison their unlikely paradise.

Romance, drama, intrigue and comedy combine to make gripping, hilarious viewing.

(taken from http://www.geocities.com/vue2sewell/GoneToSeed/gts.html)

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that I watched it - but for the life of me, can't think if it was any good.

Jemble Fred

Grrr, and there was greedy old me thinking that anybody bringing this up would be saying that a torrent had just appeared.

I've not seen this, or the 'equal' series Gone To The Dogs, with Harry Enfield, since first broadcast, but I remember being absolutely knocked out by it, even before being a specific Cook worshipper. I do hope it still holds up. Hard to see how it can fail to be reward re-viewing, with that cast.

On the off-chance of a torrent (or even a DVD!) appearing, I won't say anything spoilerish, but I remember being terrified by Cook's comeuppance at the end.

Ignatius_S

Sorry to get your hopes up!

It came out about the same time I was starting to 'get into' Broadbent and Steadman, and am sure I would have watched it for the Cook connection, but am struggling to remember more than the vaguest details. I definitely saw Gone To Dogs - and liked it (but got a feeling thought it was flawed in quite a few ways), it's on DVD, so hopefully Gone To Seed will be too sometime - seems to be fairly easy to get on VHS (what's that, dad?) though.

Blue Jam

Mister Six

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 16, 2008, 02:09:23 PM
Sorry to get your hopes up!

It came out about the same time I was starting to 'get into' Broadbent and Steadman, and am sure I would have watched it for the Cook connection, but am struggling to remember more than the vaguest details. I definitely saw Gone To Dogs - and liked it (but got a feeling thought it was flawed in quite a few ways), it's on DVD, so hopefully Gone To Seed will be too sometime - seems to be fairly easy to get on VHS (what's that, dad?) though.

Working from memory:

Spoiler alert
Jim Broadbent and Warren Clarke's mum dies, leaving her plant-growing business to theiving bastard Peter Cook. They cremate her and sprinkle her ashes in a river, some of them landing in Peter Cook's food, resulting in the mum haunting him.

Stuff happens, I forget what, and at the end Peter Cook is shot dead by police for some reason (gun glued to his hands? But that's from F/X: The Deadly Art of Illusion) and the kids get the business back. Peter Cook's ghost and the ghost of the mother wander off happily into the afterlife (Cook turns to the camera and asks whether we'd prefer and unhappy ending). And that's i!

Also, Warren Clarke wears an eyepatch through the whole thing. It's the same cast as Gone to the Dogs, but not the same characters.
[close]

Ignatius_S

Ahh, that's definitely ringing a bell - thanks! Half-tempted to get it on VHS...

Jemble Fred

I'm uncommonly excited to say that this has just appeared on a popular UK torrent site. Waited many years for this.

lauraxsynthesis

If anyone is still looking for a dvd rather than a naughty torrent of this, there's a single one up on Bezos' site for - oof - £30. Also includes Tony Grounds' other series with the 3 core actors Gone to the Dogs.

Gone to Seed is a very odd one but I've always had a huge affection for it. Broadbent, Clarke and Steadman have such great chemistry that one can go with the madness of them playing triplets. Bermondsey is a terrific setting and used well as a context. And of course it's unusual for Cookie playing a major role in a TV series. 

Mister Six

Bloody hell, glad I checked the thread because I almost typed all this out again... although I've forgotten a lot of the details in the intervening years.

Can someone DM me a link to the torrent site please? The only one I know of is The Pirate Bay.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 16, 2008, 04:43:36 PMWorking from memory:

Spoiler alert
Jim Broadbent and Warren Clarke's mum dies, leaving her plant-growing business to theiving bastard Peter Cook. They cremate her and sprinkle her ashes in a river, some of them landing in Peter Cook's food, resulting in the mum haunting him.

Stuff happens, I forget what, and at the end Peter Cook is shot dead by police for some reason (gun glued to his hands? But that's from F/X: The Deadly Art of Illusion) and the kids get the business back. Peter Cook's ghost and the ghost of the mother wander off happily into the afterlife (Cook turns to the camera and asks whether we'd prefer and unhappy ending). And that's i!

Also, Warren Clarke wears an eyepatch through the whole thing. It's the same cast as Gone to the Dogs, but not the same characters.
[close]

Martin Van Buren Stan