Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cricket 2021: Paedoph with the England test team

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 06, 2021, 04:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

Quote from: Thursday on May 13, 2022, 03:55:09 PMCan't help but feel every County Cricket game currently having a team near 600 runs suggests teams aren't really being prepared for test match conditions.

It isn't a coincidence. I think the idea is to get some batsmen confident and in form coming into the test series.

Presumably England will prepare flatter pitches too, not the green seamers we've seen in the last decade.

No excuses and no hiding place if they still fail.

king_tubby

Yeah, a mate was at Headingley yesterday and said it's a complete road.

I quite fancied going up for the last session after work but the ticket office refused to answer their phone as I wanted to know if they did reduced entry, so they can bloody whistle for my money.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: shoulders on May 13, 2022, 04:03:55 PMIt isn't a coincidence. I think the idea is to get some batsmen confident and in form coming into the test series.
Not working for Zak Crawley by the looks of it

shoulders

Remarkably similar set of CC matches going on.

iamcoop

Andrew Symonds dead in a car crash, according to Twitter.

I remember that double ton against us in the 2007 pasting.

"A controversial character on and off the field", he'd be described as.

robhug

Wow, yet another for the died young cricketer thread

Always remember him laughing off being selected for Eng A, you'd have thought they'd have asked him if he wanted to play for them first. Still the ECB were desperate at the time for anyone who might not be dogshit.

Harry Badger

He got absoutely cunted at Walkabout in Cardiff in 2005 and showed up for the ODI against Bangladesh falling-down drunk. He also once hit 15 sixes in one innings against Glamorgan.

A Legend Gary even by Aussie standards but he was a fucking good batsman on his day and always entertaining to watch, up there with Freddie, KP, Carl Hooper, Jayasuriya and Mark Waugh on that front.

shoulders

Pope at 3

WHY

What more do we have to do to stop this fucking crap, everyone has left and been replaced and they're still fucking making these basic errors.

iamcoop

Quote from: shoulders on May 18, 2022, 10:34:20 AMPope at 3

WHY

What more do we have to do to stop this fucking crap, everyone has left and been replaced and they're still fucking making these basic errors.

Apparently he's been hitting them really well in the nets and we all know Popey lad is one knock away from a big one.

shoulders

Brook in because runs (fine)
Potts in because wickets (fine)

Crawley in because... (insert reason)

Meanwhile, Pope has apparently never played a first class innings in the position England are now asking him to. After famously also asking him to do that on debut and it failing. Can't see that going wrong...

Inspector Norse

Quote from: shoulders on May 18, 2022, 12:23:35 PMCrawley in because... (insert reason)

Don't want to cast aspersions or anything but a quick google of "Zak Crawley Rob Key" does throw up at least one tweet alleging that Key is actually Crawley's dad, such is his obsession with making Crawley out to be a test match batter.

iamcoop

Quote from: shoulders on May 18, 2022, 12:23:35 PMBrook in because runs (fine)
Potts in because wickets (fine)

Crawley in because... (insert reason)

Meanwhile, Pope has apparently never played a first class innings in the position England are now asking him to. After famously also asking him to do that on debut and it failing. Can't see that going wrong...

Look mate, can you stop being so negative? This is all about positive intent, we want players that can take the game by the scruff of the neck and move it forward. We've absolutely never tried that before and when we do go out and throw the bat at absolutely everything when we're chasing 180 on a wicket that's doing a bit it's 100% going to work.

king_tubby

Jofra out for another summer then. Well done Joe!

iamcoop

Pranet

After a couple of competent games, Somerset's batting back to its usual level. 2 down when I left work, all out for 69 when I got back home.

iamcoop

Inspector Norse

Bangladesh equalled the record for the most ducks in a test match innings against Sri Lanka this morning yet still posted 365. Pretty wonky scorecard.

175*

Mushfiqur and Litton with the centuries there.

king_tubby

The counties are complaining the 100 is meaning T20 sales are low. Maybe don't charge £30+ for tickets then?

shoulders

About time Litton Das stepped up. FC record is easily good enough. Shakib and Mushy are getting on.

shoulders

Inspector Norse

Quote from: shoulders on May 24, 2022, 01:36:05 PMAbout time Litton Das stepped up. FC record is easily good enough. Shakib and Mushy are getting on.

Hard to know how seriously you can take FC stats from the domestic league there really, Mosaddek for example averages 56 in first-class cricket but rarely gets picked, and when he does he gets batted at eight and used as a bits-and-pieces all-rounder despite averaging over 50 with the ball too.

poo

cricket is just utter drenthe at the moment isn't it

shoulders

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 25, 2022, 08:37:33 AMHard to know how seriously you can take FC stats from the domestic league there really, Mosaddek for example averages 56 in first-class cricket but rarely gets picked, and when he does he gets batted at eight and used as a bits-and-pieces all-rounder despite averaging over 50 with the ball too.

Well, he has a considerably better FC record than Rahim, as a baseline to work from.

They also did that with Mamudullah and he wasted about 60% of his career at 8 and a guy who bowled about 8 overs an innings if he was lucky before they realised he was a big time performer.

sevendaughters

have to say my interest in cricket is being slowly murdered. KP coming out saying that the red ball game should become a franchise at English domestic level...I mean, my team is one of the biggest so fine, but also...fuck off! England just make me miserable now and I couldn't give a tinker's toss about IPL.

shoulders

I don't see how it would be workable even if you tried. Commercial and public interest in 4 day domestic cricket is relatively low. Not that it is hated or disliked, I think more people would follow it if it received attention. There should be a weekly CC match screened on terrestrial TV throughout the summer.

The main barrier to attending games is that people are in work and games last for ages, meaning that you don't see the conclusion on the day most of the time. Despite those drawbacks tickets are sold at uncomfortably high prices. I can think of village cricket locally and that has a small audience. It's free, it's genteel. You bring a picnic, sit in the sun and get into the rhythm of it.

Weird how the answer is never 'put it on a free channel watched by a mass audience and make tickets chesper'. It is 'put on sparkly pyjamas, play the event at night and allow crisp companies to sweat their assets'.

Cricket governance always seems to have an awful Thatcherite Toryness. Anyone who comes along to flash their cash makes them weak at the knees.

gilbertharding

Shouldn't the tests have started already? Like - I was definitely at Lord's two weeks ago, a few years back (I remember because it clashed with the FA Cup and my wife's birthday)... What's going on? Not Covid, surely?

Thursday

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 27, 2022, 09:26:21 AMShouldn't the tests have started already? Like - I was definitely at Lord's two weeks ago, a few years back (I remember because it clashed with the FA Cup and my wife's birthday)... What's going on? Not Covid, surely?

New Zealand on Thursday

gilbertharding

Quote from: Thursday on May 27, 2022, 09:36:02 AMNew Zealand on Thursday

Does anyone else give the tiniest fuck? Tricky, innit?

Thursday