Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derry Girls Series 3

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 05, 2022, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Were the 70s versions of Clare and Orla's mums played by the regular Clare and Orla actresses? If so, they looked impressively unrecognisable. I could tell the Erin and Michelle actresses were playing their own mams but less so the other two.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They were all different actresses.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 13, 2022, 02:48:50 PMThey were all different actresses.

Dafuk, really? I could have sworn Erin and Michelle were the same. Damn, well done then.  I guess as well as being an unobservant twerp I was also kind of assuming that it'd be unlikely they'd have done an episode that barely featured the core cast but looks like they did.

Virgo76

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 13, 2022, 12:27:10 PMIt was a decent episode, but clever? Flashback episodes are pretty standard sitcom fare.

Also, why did the young Canadian look older than old Canadian?
I was going to say the same thing. Showing that the mums were once basically the same as their daughters is good for a one-off joke, but a whole series would probably be better with a different dynamic. Then again, I like the show well enough that more of the same wouldn't be a bad thing and they probably can't continue pretending the main cast are teenagers for much longer.

Nothing especially clever about doing a flashback episode, no. But a number of new characters were introduced alongside the established ones quite quickly. The flashbacks made it very clear not only who everyone was but also which 90s character each person was supposed to remind you of. It could have been a confusing mess but wasn't. So, yes: cleverly done!

BritishHobo

I think that was the best one this series - which I suppose is a crummy thing to say about an episode which didn't have the regular cast. It was well done though - I also thought they were the same actresses until the rest of the gang rocked up.

I just thought it was a good laugh - the stuff with the dads and the non-speaking husband was good fun.

Ex_GC

Agreed. The last episode was pretty lame and the train journey episode was just okay (the banana and toothbrush stand off was painfully unfunny)

Virgo76

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 14, 2022, 06:55:12 PMAgreed. The last episode was pretty lame and the train journey episode was just okay (the banana and toothbrush stand off was painfully unfunny)
Who are you agreeing with?

Ex_GC

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 14, 2022, 07:43:13 PMWho are you agreeing with?

Sorry, the poster above me who said it was the best episode of the series. I should have quoted them!

Jockice

I sort of half watched it on Tuesday as I was doing something else at the time and didn't really understand it. But I've watched it since and it was actually really well done. It's been a very uneven series. I thought the train trip one was crap but the one the week after was an improvement. However I can't remember anything about it now.

But two points of order. It's highly unlikely that Michelle's mum would have dressed like that in general - I doubt if punky clothes would have been easily available or gone down well in Northern Ireland - and certainly not to a school disco held on the premises. I went to a Catholic secondary (starting, not finishing in 1977) and it just wouldn't have been allowed. We had a nun headmistress who actually physically pulled a boy's earring out, ripping his earlobe in the process. The kid was a prick admittedly but fucking hell.

And secondly, Le Freak came out in 1978, so unless that school somehow got an exclusive preview copy...

I'm guessing Nicola Coughlan was too busy with Bridgerton when they were filming this as she's barely been in this series.

I was thrilled when this returned but it's definitely time for it to come to an end. It's not been disastrously bad or anything, but it's noticeably weaker than the other series. The haunted house episode has been the lowest point. I quite liked the train one, though I agree with whoever said it could've been an episode of any sitcom.

I hope the main cast do more comedy. They're all brilliant performers.

BritishHobo

Yeah, it was odd and jarring in the train episode when they had Claire miss the train and just get a very short B-plot.

MigraineBoy

I think the explanation given was due to the COVID postponement & rescheduling of DG3 it's eventual shooting then coincided with Nicola's Bridgerton commitment & as that show is a global juggernaut, the compromise was a reduced role.

Virgo76

My mind raced when Gerry got that phone call.
My first thought was that there had been a bomb attack at the concert, but then it seemed unlikely they'd fabricate a fictional terrorist incident at a Fatboy Slim concert, just for the show.
Very moving anyway.
(And didn't Sarah look good dressed as a nun? Odd that this is my first thought, not the girls themselves in their angel costumes. I must be getting old).

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 18, 2022, 07:35:03 AMMy first thought was that there had been a bomb attack at the concert, but then it seemed unlikely they'd fabricate a fictional terrorist incident at a Fatboy Slim concert, just for the show.

They did however create a whole new timeline - Fatboy Slim didn't release "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" until October 1998 and last night's episode was Halloween 1997*.

ajsmith2

Was genuinely wondering if we were gonna get a Norman Cook cameo playing his younger self like Billy Idol in The Wedding Singer or Dana International in The Beautiful People (anyone remember that? Blazed the trail for 90s nostalgia in the late 00s).

Jumblegraws

I hate to say it but
Spoiler alert
the hastily-seeded emotional whiplash of last night's episode reminded me of Derek. Also, having the bad thing happen to Claire right after her (also incredibly rushed) bit of romance steered perilously close to the "bury your gays" trope, I felt.
[close]

Hoping the special gives them a decent send-off.

ajsmith2

Yeah was wondering why there was a meaningful lingering close up on (the character in question, can't work out how to spoiler on my phone) and then I was like 'ah right'. I know US shows have the opposite problem where they make too many and rip the arse out of it, but things like that make me wish they could do longer runs than a mere 6 per series to set things like that up better. Everything seems so jam packed and rushed, it's amazing they're even able to do what they do in the minimal time available.

Jockice

At last a local newspaper headline that didn't contain either the word 'local' or the name of the town. Unfortunately it was crap. It's unlikely that a front page lead story would have contained a reference to Fatboy Slim as a significant proportion of the local population would have been unlikely to have heard of him. It would have been 'top music star' or suchlike, or at a push (as suggested on the headlines thread on the main board) 'Praise You hitmaker.' Also there's no way there would have been so much space left on the third line of the headline. Wlll TV producers never learn?

Having said that...I thought the episode was pretty bobbins. Apart from the secret recording and the reaction of Sarah's 'fiance' to her dressed as a nun, which were both pretty funny. I think the show has reached the end of the line. And yes, I know there's an episode tonight. But whether I watch it at the time depends on what's happening in the football. If Rangers are winning or losing 5-0 I'll probably turn over. Actually probably not in the latter case as I'll already be laughing too much.

Des Wigwam

I agree with Jumblegraws.

Actually thought the
Spoiler alert
lingering shot on the character when they were driving through was quite moving - more so than the dead bit - those are way too easy to (cynically) manufacture cf. Derek.
[close]

This episode was one of the best for me up until the last 5 mins. Michelle very funny - especially in the interview and the adults had a good story line. Orlaith also had some nice wonderment moments which I think have been lacking this series.

Question for the NI CaB folk - was the interviewer a reference to a specific little person who was on NI TV in the 90s? I don't remember seeing anyone in the UK who was different on midday local English TV (apologies if that's the wrong term - but you should have seen what I had to google to check).

Also - is Clare Lisa McGee? Interesting to end on a Clare story.

BritishHobo

Seems odd to drop the special the day after the last episode. Would you not hold it a bit to keep excitement?

I agree with everyone really. It was a great, funny episode, but
Spoiler alert
doing that to Claire seemed bizarre, especially given that none of the other girls had any significant development in the episode. I agree it seems a bit too much 'the gay character can't be happy', even if unintentionally. I mean, christ. Every time you think of your first kiss, it's tied unavoidably to the death of your dad.
[close]

Ham Bap

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 18, 2022, 01:01:10 PMI agree with Jumblegraws.

Actually thought the
Spoiler alert
lingering shot on the character when they were driving through was quite moving - more so than the dead bit - those are way too easy to (cynically) manufacture cf. Derek.
[close]

This episode was one of the best for me up until the last 5 mins. Michelle very funny - especially in the interview and the adults had a good story line. Orlaith also had some nice wonderment moments which I think have been lacking this series.

Question for the NI CaB folk - was the interviewer a reference to a specific little person who was on NI TV in the 90s? I don't remember seeing anyone in the UK who was different on midday local English TV (apologies if that's the wrong term - but you should have seen what I had to google to check).

Also - is Clare Lisa McGee? Interesting to end on a Clare story.

From Derry here. No I dont think it was.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 18, 2022, 01:01:10 PMQuestion for the NI CaB folk - was the interviewer a reference to a specific little person who was on NI TV in the 90s?

I asked my wife the same thing (she's a year older than Lisa McGee and attended the same school) so while an awful lot of smaller references hit home (Thornhill did publish a school newspaper called The Habit), she couldn't recall any such presenter.  However the radio DJ at the start very much was/is on Radio Foyle.

Utter Shit

Spoiler alert
Glad I wasn't the only one who felt that the emotional ending was a bit...unearned?

I can't remember if Claire's dad had featured before, but I certainly don't remember him being particularly significant to the plot of the show. Obviously it isn't really necessary to know the character to understand that Claire loved her dad, but it did feel a bit..."here's this character, you should be sympathetic towards him - oh he's dead, you should feel sad now".

Still think the episode was great, and the whole series has been really good. I really liked Hollyoaks Man as the nutter Fatboy Slim fan.

Hopefully the hour-long episode (tonight, in case anyone missed it) will give them enough time for a proper send-off.

Side note: I know that in real life Nicola Coughlan is in her mid-30s so it's fine, but did anyone else feel like the lesbian stuff was a bit weird because Claire is supposed to be about 15-16 (and looks even younger) and the record shop woman seemed to be in her early 20s at a guess?
[close]

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 18, 2022, 01:01:10 PMAlso - is Clare Lisa McGee? Interesting to end on a Clare story.

She isn't. I have done some cursory research. I always assumed she was Erin to some degree.

Pleased the special is tonight so I have something to watch on Friday.

Was that real archive footage of Fatboy Slim on the news? I've not seen a picture of him in 20-odd years, but I assumed he was making a cameo appearance, up until the obvious double in the concert scene.

Bit rotten of Erin to egg James on to get the shit kicked out of him after they both professed their love for each other. Also, I know they all hate The English, but shouldn't someone have called the police on Mad Stab (or refused to sell him the tickets, at least)?

Part of me hopes that the series ends with James and Gerry finally getting fed up of being bullied and telling everyone to fuck all the way off.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 18, 2022, 08:59:08 AMWas genuinely wondering if we were gonna get a Norman Cook cameo playing his younger self...

Anyone know if the video clip of him mentioning Derry was fabricated or was there an existing clip available?

And is
Spoiler alert
dressing up as a clowne
[close]
a thing his fans used to do, or is this just a bit of whimsy to serve the shows plot?

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 18, 2022, 01:07:43 PMSeems odd to drop the special the day after the last episode. Would you not hold it a bit to keep excitement?

Yeah that is odd.  The following week would have made more sense, or even a month later, say.  Not that I'm complaining, but it is an odd piece of scheduling.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: Vroomo on May 18, 2022, 01:31:57 PMI asked my wife the same thing (she's a year older than Lisa McGee and attended the same school) so while an awful lot of smaller references hit home (Thornhill did publish a school newspaper called The Habit), she couldn't recall any such presenter.  However the radio DJ at the start very much was/is on Radio Foyle.

https://twitter.com/TheSineadBurke/status/1526668312087826434

Malcy

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 18, 2022, 05:43:37 PMWas that real archive footage of Fatboy Slim on the news? I've not seen a picture of him in 20-odd years, but I assumed he was making a cameo appearance, up until the obvious double in the concert scene.

He was in the end credits. I wondered if they just put a bit of make up on him to look a bit younger.

The fact that the concert scene only showed a silhouette makes me think he wasn't involved, but I suppose he could have filmed the news bit without having to be on location.

It would need to be some The Irishman style de-aging though. He's pushing 60.