Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weirdly Similar Record Sleeves

Started by lazyhour, May 10, 2022, 12:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 11, 2022, 11:10:49 PMthey should have shown the arse and you can unzip it and poo comes out. motley pöo, if you will
How would the poo come out?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 10, 2022, 10:12:36 PMBoth came out in 1992. One band was Factory Records last signing before the label went bankrupt, the other a legacy act riding the crest of a wave of a recent massively successful comeback.  No surprises who won out here.

hey hey hey
no need to worry they didn't fall to the ground and hurt themselves they landed on some levitating records

itsfredtitmus

records are the new furniture according to the pooh sticks

Twonty Gostelow

Replies From View

Quote from: SteveDave on May 10, 2022, 01:29:25 PMFlamingoes

Fountains Of Wayne

The album's cover photo of a little boy clutching a rabbit and posing like a superhero was shot by Nick Waplington. It was also used for the album cover of Plastic Jewels by the UK band Flamingoes, which came out in the US two weeks before this album.[6] According to Chris Collingwood, "This English photographer licensed the photograph to both bands. Worse than that, he was directly asked by us if he had licensed it to anybody else and he said no. So, basically, the guy's a complete asshole. We're changing the cover in Europe, but we're keeping it the same in the States. It's just too good a picture."

Pop Collingwood on the nonce list would you - there's a good chap.

Replies From View

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on May 10, 2022, 05:20:28 PMNew Harry Styles LP cover not entirely dissimilar to charity shop classic The Very Best of The Old Sailor. 

Touch of the oasis definitely maybe about the harry styles one, but not the leo sayer one, which is interesting.

Brundle-Fly

Junk Shop by Ben's Symphonic Orchestra

And...Hefty Fine by The Bloodhound Gang. If you're not au fait with the NSFW sleeve I'm referring to, you can Google it yourselves.

Levi

Someone smarter than me discovered an overlap between Comrade Shaky and that The King Of Pop lad.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Levi on May 12, 2022, 10:35:06 PM
Someone smarter than me discovered an overlap between Comrade Shaky and that The King Of Pop lad.

fuck my hat, says here Shakey did it first!
https://www.discogs.com/release/563562-Shakin-Stevens-Green-Door

McChesney Duntz

Magnum Valentino

This one struck me as an obvious dig about a year ago, seems like the exact sort of thing Type O Negative would do.

And (not work safe):

Spoiler alert
[close]

I had a quick look at the time and couldn't find anyone else making the connection online but between the grain, monochrome, hair and finger placement, I'm convinced of it.

gilbertharding

Shaking Stephen's not only did it first, he did it every time.

(I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd find and post every example I could find of home posing like that)

lazyhour

And beating all the other box-dwellers to it, here's Francoise.

buzby

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 12, 2022, 04:31:57 AM

I suspect that one is a definite homage. Jones studied at the Northern College Of Music in Manchester around the time the punk scene was starting there. His 3 younger brothers (Roy, Paul and Martin) had a post-punk band called The Jones Boys who were a local support act for Joy Division at a gig in High Wycombe:

(they soundchecked but ended up reluctantly deciding not to play due to the start being delayed by the late arrival of the Manchester contingent, and threats from ACR's drummer - a Running Order Squabblefest, if you will).

famethrowa

The picture on the Howard Jones one is shit. Obviously they took an existing (quite good) bit of art and then attempted to draw Howard into it with tracing paper. As shameful as Brett Whiteley's "artwork" for Dire Straits' Alchemy, made by taking his big painting and sticking a guitar and Knopfler head on it.

purlieu

Human's Lib sounds like a proper All Lives Matter response to Women's Lib.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: lazyhour on May 13, 2022, 08:42:14 AMAnd beating all the other box-dwellers to it, here's Francoise.

Damaged in shipping.

Ascent

Quote from: famethrowa on May 13, 2022, 01:44:37 PMThe picture on the Howard Jones one is shit. Obviously they took an existing (quite good) bit of art and then attempted to draw Howard into it with tracing paper. As shameful as Brett Whiteley's "artwork" for Dire Straits' Alchemy, made by taking his big painting and sticking a guitar and Knopfler head on it.

Obvious, but not true I'm afraid. The painting is an original by the artist Steg (a friend of Howard who did several of his other covers) and portrays Howard and the characters Ruth, David and Dennis from the title track of the album.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 13, 2022, 06:23:24 AMThis one struck me as an obvious dig about a year ago, seems like the exact sort of thing Type O Negative would do.

And (not work safe):

Spoiler alert
[close]

I had a quick look at the time and couldn't find anyone else making the connection online but between the grain, monochrome, hair and finger placement, I'm convinced of it.

I reckon that's quite a stretch.

Head Gardener

one of the most parodied sleeves

iamcoop

Quote from: lazyhour on May 10, 2022, 12:08:44 PMThis thought was triggered by the following example:

Boniface:

Beck:

These both immediately made me think of this:

In the same year as the Metronomy album above, there was also this.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Obviously a close up of an eye isn't a rare idea, but still...

New arcade fire

Head Gardener

yes, very close to the daddy of eyeball sleeves

Levi