Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: SteveDave on May 13, 2022, 10:55:03 PMAnd the cleaner who Greg Davies fucks in "Man Down"

And the Nurse in Inside Victor Lewis-Smith

olliebean

Quote from: Rev+ on May 13, 2022, 09:08:55 PMHe's definitely fictional, the ending is pretty unambiguous.

I mean, they're all fictional, if you think about it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Blumf on May 13, 2022, 11:32:25 PMAnd the Nurse in Inside Victor Lewis-Smith

And the DSS clerk who gives Frank Skinner a hard time, but actually quite likes him in Blue Heaven.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

shlug

I thought it was enjoyable enough, the final line being a nice little comedy cliché they're sending up. I do think they're relying too much on the unreliable narrator trope which made this weeks twist not all that suprising.

I doubt much like the previous 3 or so series we're going to get something on the level of Christine/Sphinx/Bernie Clifton again, still a welcome change to going outside or engaging with loved ones.

Virgo76

I like it and still watch it.
It's not the show it once was though, is it?
Look at the very best episodes: The 12 Days of Christine. The Riddle of the Sphinx.  Zanzibar. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room. Sardines.
The set such a high standard before, it's impossible to live up to it now.
It's been one of the best series of the 21st century thus far.

Virgo76

Quote from: shlug on May 15, 2022, 06:26:41 PMI thought it was enjoyable enough, the final line being a nice little comedy cliché they're sending up. I do think they're relying too much on the unreliable narrator trope which made this weeks twist not all that suprising.

I doubt much like the previous 3 or so series we're going to get something on the level of Christine/Sphinx/Bernie Clifton again, still a welcome change to going outside or engaging with loved ones.

I didn't read your post, before writing mine. Pretty similar in spirit!

poodlefaker

Never mind spotting the hare, did anyone spot Steve Pemberton's hand gesture? It's in every episode; he holds his right hand (or sometimes both hands) about a foot from his eyes, facing outwards, as if holding a glass, and sweeps it from left to right once, as if describing a row of hills in the distance or saying "One day you're gonna see my name up in lights" in a shitty musical.

It came about a third of the way through the last episode.

Captain Z

I wouldn't say I saw the exact twist coming, but I cottoned that what we were watching was not based in reality when the car numberplates on the evidence board indicated the year as '33'. Slightly disappointed this didn't get mentioned in the podcast. It is said that one way to begin lucid dreaming is to look for whether words and numbers make sense inside your dream, and I assumed it was something along those lines.

Kankurette

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 18, 2022, 07:23:19 AMI like it and still watch it.
It's not the show it once was though, is it?
Look at the very best episodes: The 12 Days of Christine. The Riddle of the Sphinx.  Zanzibar. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room. Sardines.
The set such a high standard before, it's impossible to live up to it now.
It's been one of the best series of the 21st century thus far.
They are on a 7th series so I guess it's getting harder for them to stay fresh. The earlier episodes were definitely some of the best, though there were a couple of recent ones I loved. The one about the magicians, for instance.

jobotic

Well I thought last week's was a right clunker but that's very rare. I'm still looking forward to tonight

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 18, 2022, 10:27:58 AMNever mind spotting the hare, did anyone spot Steve Pemberton's hand gesture? It's in every episode; he holds his right hand (or sometimes both hands) about a foot from his eyes, facing outwards, as if holding a glass, and sweeps it from left to right once, as if describing a row of hills in the distance or saying "One day you're gonna see my name up in lights" in a shitty musical.

That's Pemberton's signature hand gesture, yeah. He's been doing it since the LoG days, and I daresay he's aware of that. It's presumably just something he likes to throw in every now and again.

Mind you, it always takes me out of the story whenever he performs The Pemberton Manoeuvre as it instantly reminds me of the grotesque likes of Pauline and Pop. But it's sort of comforting at the same time. There he goes again, doing his thing.

Kankurette

I was wondering who the Geordie bloke was and knew I recognised him from somewhere. It was Jason Isaacs.
Spoiler alert
I wonder if it was his ears the wife cut off.
[close]

Also, this is the first time - except for Tempting Fate - that I've spotted the hare!

Stigdu

Enjoyed that one. Nice and twist-y. Can't believe they got Jason Isaacs in the episode.

Kankurette

I think this and the Wicker Man one are the two who've made me go 'holy shit' this season.

ishantbekeepingit

I really liked that, it managed to walk the tight-rope of being funny without undercutting the tension.  I have to wonder, though, why on Earth did
Spoiler alert
she go with Shane at the end?  There didn't seem to be any indication that she'd double-cross him (although I doubt they'd get very far, given that the police will at the very least know the details of their car, or even have a tracker on it).
[close]

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on May 18, 2022, 11:25:26 PMI have to wonder, though, why on Earth did
Spoiler alert
she go with Shane at the end?  There didn't seem to be any indication that she'd double-cross him (although I doubt they'd get very far, given that the police will at the very least know the details of their car, or even have a tracker on it).
[close]

Spoiler alert
Presumably that was always the getaway plan, except originally leaving Shane behind and taking Jason Isaacs with her. On getting away, they've sent the rest of the squad off to the docks and there's a plane waiting so shouldn't be too much of an issue.
[close]

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: This isnt witty sorry on May 18, 2022, 11:44:25 PM
Spoiler alert
Presumably that was always the getaway plan, except originally leaving Shane behind and taking Jason Isaacs with her. On getting away, they've sent the rest of the squad off to the docks and there's a plane waiting so shouldn't be too much of an issue.
[close]
I suppose what I mean is,
Spoiler alert
why did she bring him along?  She'd never met him before, they didn't really get along, and he was now aware that he was meant to be a patsy for her and Jason Isaacs' plan.  It just seemed to come out of nowhere.
[close]

Spoiler alert
She still needed somebody to pretend to be the husband to get to the car. If she'd just been rescued he'd have got the money back and she's back to square one. A share of the money is better than none of it.

It was never really said out loud that he was going to be a fall guy (at least in front of him) and he was a bit too thick to figure it out in the moment.

Suppose it just comes down to whether you think she could have been quick and calculating enough to change the plan on the fly.

Though maybe she just ditched him at the plane.
[close]

jobotic

Spoiler alert
The only really daft bit was that the police would let them just drive off. Alright, cheers then. See you later.
[close]

Stigdu

Funniest bits for me were
Spoiler alert
"Granola, granola!" and "Do you want me to change the personal pronouns?"
[close]

Indomitable Spirit

I'll wait until the podcast listeners report back, but I came away thinking that...

Spoiler alert
Daisy Haggard and Daniel Mays had actually concocted the plan and Isaacs was a patsy all along. However, the lack of Mays suddenly dropping his working class accent for a posher one at the end means I've probably just imagined that
[close]

Again, a bit meh for me. With the plot being a pretty by the numbers genre piece, I was bracing myself for a big fuck off twist that just never materialised. I did like all the split screen stuff at the beginning though.

Still really looking to the last two episodes though which look more up my alley. The fact they've saved the PIF one til last makes me feel like it's going to be a doozy.

Blumf

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on May 19, 2022, 11:26:26 AMI did like all the split screen stuff at the beginning though

Was hoping it'd be carried through the whole episode, like Cibo Matto's Sugar Water video.

Pete23

Was the second episode in a row where I felt that either they screwed up the plotting or I'm just not clever enough to follow it.

Spoiler alert
If the original plan was to be believed then she seemed to be having a very lovely time with the man who'd just murdered her lover at the end, and if the plan within the plan involved that Rodney Bewes lookalike all along then it felt that there was a scene missing
[close]

NoOffenceLynn

I really liked this episode, all the twisted turns were great.

BritishHobo

I also read it that
Spoiler alert
the plan was Haggard's and Mays' all along, and Isaac was the patsy.
[close]

selectivememory

That was so close to being one of the classics for me, though by the end I felt a couple of plot points were either a bit confused or maybe just a bit sloppy in their execution. Guess I'll listen to the podcast and see what they say about it in case I missed something. Great performances from all the guest cast though.

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 19, 2022, 02:01:48 PMI also read it that
Spoiler alert
the plan was Haggard's and Mays' all along, and Isaac was the
Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
That doesn't make sense though, Mays' didn't know Isaacs and Haggard were in it together when he killed Isaacs. If he did and it was their plan he wouldn't throw her into the chair and be just about to cut her ear off.
[close]
[close]

trabuch

Spoiler alert
[close]

Me too. But in the podcast they say not. And that it should have been obvious it wasn't.

phantom_power

I am pretty sure Haggard was just thinking on her feet and roped Mays into the plan because he is a bit dim and suggestible. It is stated by Isaacs earlier that Mays doesn't have a passport so she can ditch him at some point before getting on the jet