Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex_GC

Quote from: wrec on May 19, 2022, 12:58:24 PMHe wants to be on Fox doing his "they took everything routine" with people who will discuss trans rights as part of white replacement theory.

Anyway I voted for KKK KJK.

What were the poll results?

wrec

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 19, 2022, 12:59:06 PMWhat were the poll results?

46 KJK / 54 HS at the moment

Ideal result would be a Brexit style 51/49

Juan K Perros

Quote from: boki on May 19, 2022, 09:40:30 AMA point and dick adventure, if you will.

I now have a vision of Linehan as LeChuck but the secret of monkey island is all the monkeys have starved because he's now a 200ft gundam made of all the bananas.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Fascinating to read the first few responses on the first thread in this series. Linehan was given lots of benefit of the doubt, and many posters seemed to agree with him. Blows his claim that this site has hated him for 20 years out of the water.

QuoteIf only there was some way of asking him.

Lots of women have very real and sensible concerns about how self-identifying trans people's rights have been forced together with their own rights. Surely you can see that people could have legitimate concerns about people with penises in women's toilets? Or that self-ID trans women are allowed onto AWS that women have fought for years to get?

If the Labour party was serious about trans rights, and about getting trans people into parliament, it could have set up all trans shortlists. But it didn't. And any dissent for this policy has led to exclusion from the party, rather than thinking that perhaps this policy is poorly thought out.

Nobody I know that has stood against this is against trans rights. They all believe trans rights are important. It's about how these rights are being implemented.

QuoteIs it that alarming? A comedy writer holds an opinion on a complicated issue - and if it aligns with what Dr. Brunsell-Evans outlines in that letter then it's a thoughtful and valid one. That's it really. If you are alarmed that anybody might publicly say things that don't 100% match up with what you believe the 'right' thing to be, you are easily alarmed.

QuoteSomeone holds a different opinion to you on complex gender issues. Whatever next...

Many such responses! If he'd just continued to be reasonable in his statements or just shut up about it I'm sure there wouldn't have been more than one or two threads here.

canadagoose

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 19, 2022, 01:18:44 PMFascinating to read the first few responses on the first thread in this series. Linehan was given lots of benefit of the doubt, and many posters seemed to agree with him. Blows his claim that this site has hated him for 20 years out of the water.

Many such responses! If he'd just continued to be reasonable in his statements or just shut up about it I'm sure there wouldn't have been more than one or two threads here.
"Sensible concerns". Hmmmmmmmm

Edit: Interesting that that DeGrise character mostly seemed to post in these topics, doing the old "ooh I'm genuinely concerned" faux-naive routine. I can see it a mile away nowadays, but I wonder how many people would have been taken in by it?

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: The Guppy on May 18, 2022, 02:43:37 AMIt must be torture for him to sit through a whole film in a cinema. At least when he's at bigot rallies he can whip his phone out every two minutes to check Twitter.
Bet you a tenner he torrented it since the quality pirates just landed yesterday.

Ex_GC

Of the GC leaders the 'moderate, sensible concerns' are in some ways more insidious than the extremists like PP. PP is openly full of hate but the moderates pull the wool over womens eyes, they're the GC leaders that attract women who genuinely think they are fighting for women's rights

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on May 19, 2022, 02:32:16 PMBet you a tenner he torrented it since the quality pirates just landed yesterday.

He'll have streamed it by Googling the film title followed by "watch online" or similar. There's no way a man who can't figure out how to order Juat Eat can install and work a torrent client.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on May 19, 2022, 02:32:16 PMBet you a tenner he torrented it since the quality pirates just landed yesterday.

EDIT:

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on May 18, 2022, 09:59:14 AMThere's no way he watched at the cinema it was released on vod in America this week so he'll have pirated it and sat at home leg twitching away, ready to pause it and scream about not defending JK Rowling

Whoops!

Edit edit: THIS was meant to be me editing my original post, speaking of not understanding even simple technology.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Dr Rock

You know who else had 'sensible concerns'? The Spanish Inquisition. And Thanos.

Ferris

Quote from: Juan K Perros on May 19, 2022, 01:04:54 PMI now have a vision of Linehan as LeChuck but the secret of monkey island is all the monkeys have starved because he's now a 200ft gundam made of all the bananas.

Laughed on a video call, cheers for that image.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Ex_GC on May 19, 2022, 02:58:50 PMhttps://twitter.com/AnxietySugar_/status/1527005333645836289?t=yZD97CWsHeWhqQa6zCXogg&s=19

We will see more incidents like this unfortunately

Was coming to the thread to post about that too:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disabled-ms-shopper-tears-staff-27003304

And yeah, remember the anti-trans activists with their dinosaur suits and crowd-funded AA batteries were protesting outside M&S around the time Nicholson sent the above letter?

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Juan K Perros on May 19, 2022, 01:04:54 PMI now have a vision of Linehan as LeChuck but the secret of monkey island is all the monkeys have starved because he's now a 200ft gundam made of all the bananas.

Sonny_Jim

retsuza

Worth keeping in mind this public harassment by the toilet police isn't some byproduct of terf activism, its explicity what they want to happen.

This dullard went on to say she could prove she was really female with her ID if worst comes to worst, which is an unbelievable thing to have to produce to take a shit and also seems to ignore that women who are trans can get their ID updated.

jobotic

Yes they'll be harassing the women who was treated like shit in M&S for not proudly making a sacrifice for her fellow sisters who won't wheeesht. And probably for having a nose-ring and being young.

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 19, 2022, 03:13:31 PMAnd yeah, remember the anti-trans activists with their dinosaur suits and crowd-funded AA batteries were protesting outside M&S around the time Nicholson sent the above letter?

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Pimhole on May 19, 2022, 11:56:35 AMDo you believe that a 14 year old girl should have to change next to an 88 year old man?

No way!

You should be in a mental asylum.

Ex_GC

Quote from: jobotic on May 19, 2022, 03:39:03 PMYes they'll be harassing the women who was treated like shit in M&S for not proudly making a sacrifice for her fellow sisters who won't wheeesht. And probably for having a nose-ring and being young.

Handmaiden!

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 19, 2022, 12:22:41 PM

And to keep it accurate to standard GC questioning then anyone who says no you then reply accusing the person of wanting 14 year olds to get murdered

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on May 19, 2022, 04:31:38 PMAnd to keep it accurate to standard GC questioning then anyone who says no you then reply accusing the person of wanting 14 year olds to get murdered

Haha

imitationleather

Quote from: jobotic on May 19, 2022, 12:02:01 PMShe is someone who doesn't believe a word of what she's saying but just loooooves the hate. And the money.

Sometimes when money is really tight I do wish I had it in me to grift at something I completely don't believe in for the cash, like I am highly suspicious plenty of alt-right types do. But it just ain't in me, man. It just ain't!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pimhole on May 19, 2022, 11:56:35 AMDo you believe that a 14 year old girl should have to change next to an 88 year old man?
I'm so tired, I can't even tell if this is deliberate or not.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/1488

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 19, 2022, 05:15:14 PMI'm so tired, I can't even tell if this is deliberate or not.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/1488

I believe it was an intentional nod towards how a lot of these "just asking questions" contain dog whistles for what they really mean.

Famous Mortimer

You're right, I figured I wasn't the first person smart enough to spot it.

wrec

Quote from: retsuza on May 19, 2022, 03:36:23 PMThis dullard went on to say she could prove she was really female with her ID if worst comes to worst, which is an unbelievable thing to have to produce to take a shit and also seems to ignore that women who are trans can get their ID updated.

Also, considering that Manchester and Bristol were targeted for "protests", it's notable that what she phrases oddly as "the Temple Bar district" is roughly where there's a concentration of well-known gay bars. I'm assuming that the incident didn't happen, which is hardly relevant considering how it's being weaponised. But I suspect the message is that this happened in a traditionally LGBT+-friendly area, not a backwater.

Dr Rock

'Today I was DELIGHTED to be mistaken for a man. When I showed the brave toilet guard my ID, and vagina, we both laughed and then cried. Then everybody clapped'