Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forgotten Cash-In Singles by Comedy Actors in Character

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 10, 2022, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

Quote from: keir on May 14, 2022, 06:14:29 PMThat must be the b-side of the decimalisation one. I'm grateful to Wilfred for only doing two shit singles, unlike Harry who did heaps of them, often taking the opportunity to do terrible accents.

interesting factoid, but Wilfred Bramble rehearsed for a short time as an actor and bass player in Frank Zappa's 200 Motels movie; seeing how the final movie turned out I can't even conceive of what the Bramble version would have been like.

Keith Moon:  "We had Wilfred Bramble in to take over the part but he gave it up in despair because he didn't know what was going on."

You wouldn't be the only one, Wilfred...

Twilkes

Not by comedy actors in character, but as big a cash-in as anything, this is actually still a pretty good song in its own right and possibly the first single I ever 'bought' at the age of 4:

kalowski

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 11, 2022, 01:56:36 PMCan't believe in this of all weeks, this one hasn't been mentioned yet:

He says, "Here comes jism."

clarkgwent

Quote from: Twilkes on May 15, 2022, 07:14:17 AMinteresting factoid, but Wilfred Bramble rehearsed for a short time as an actor and bass player in Frank Zappa's 200 Motels movie; seeing how the final movie turned out I can't even conceive of what the Bramble version would have been like.

Keith Moon:  "We had Wilfred Bramble in to take over the part but he gave it up in despair because he didn't know what was going on."

You wouldn't be the only one, Wilfred...

Zappa and his childhood chum Captain Beefheart were big fans of Harry H Corbett (among others) on the sea shanty album "Blow Boys Blow"

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Twilkes on May 15, 2022, 07:24:34 AMNot by comedy actors in character, but as big a cash-in as anything, this is actually still a pretty good song in its own right and possibly the first single I ever 'bought' at the age of 4:

That's prompted me to look up the lyrics as there was one bit I could never make out.  It turns out the line I heard as "a basketball piece" is (according to this site) "a box of CBEs".  I think I assumed it was referring to those weird looking sporting trophies you only ever see in America.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 15, 2022, 03:45:48 PMThat's prompted me to look up the lyrics as there was one bit I could never make out.  It turns out the line I heard as "a basketball piece" is (according to this site) "a box of CBEs".  I think I assumed it was referring to those weird looking sporting trophies you only ever see in America.

I always thought it was "a box of OBEs". Before I knew what Nobel prizes are, I thought the line "I wouldn't mind if it was Nobel" was "I wouldn't mind if it was Old Mel." I didn't have a clue who or what Old Mel was.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 15, 2022, 03:53:00 PMI always thought it was "a box of OBEs". Before I knew what Nobel prizes are, I thought the line "I wouldn't mind if it was Nobel" was "I wouldn't mind if it was Old Mel." I didn't have a clue who or what Old Mel was.

Yeah I just played it, that site is wrong, it's OBE's (sounding more like OB's but I don't think they want a box of Outside Broadcasts.)

Twilkes

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 15, 2022, 03:53:00 PMI always thought it was "a box of OBEs". Before I knew what Nobel prizes are, I thought the line "I wouldn't mind if it was Nobel" was "I wouldn't mind if it was Old Mel." I didn't have a clue who or what Old Mel was.

I still don't understand what 'Even Eric would serve me well' means.

And in my older years I thought the chorus was 'She won't feel one, touch one' which seemed a bit racy for Swap Shop.

In a biopic Julia Davis would make an excellent Maggie Philbin.

Thosworth

Quote from: Twilkes on May 15, 2022, 04:03:39 PMI still don't understand what 'Even Eric would serve me well' means.

The never-seen stagehand who would lower a ball full of winning competition entries from the lighting rig. They inexplicably named an award after him, as seen given out repeatedly in this show featuring an absolute embarrassment of stars from the early 80s. You can click repeatedly on the timeline and play celeb roulette:

sheddyian

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on May 15, 2022, 12:22:51 AMClive Dunn's Grandad was THREE WEEKS AT NUMBER 1. I've never heard it on the radio. Has it been wilfully erased?

There's cover versions of Grandad, if that helps

petril

Bongo_Christ

Quote from: Red Macadam on May 15, 2022, 01:24:41 AMDoes Bernard Bresslaw count? He released a few singles in his "Aww, don't be like that Sid" voice, which was sort of a character.

He did an entire EP in character as a spin off from The Army Game, in 1959:

damien

No surprise to see this not mentioned yet; the discofied theme from the spin-off movie with Rossiter doing his best over the top. The film sucked mostly because Beckinsale wasn't in it.

Interesting comment from a YouTuber;

'There's a fair bit of chatter between the recitations. Listen carefully. Someone (Len?) says at one point, "I like the reading on that". It's more noticeable in the stereo version.'

Red Macadam

Quote from: Bongo_Christ on May 21, 2022, 12:57:27 PMHe did an entire EP in character as a spin off from The Army Game, in 1959:

Excellent! Thanks for that.

Glebe

The Bumlord

Glebe

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on September 02, 2022, 08:40:17 AMEver heard the B-Side to this one? Rene and Yvette do...rap.

Apologies for the belated reply AC. Not heard it before- absolute banger!

poodlefaker

That Rising Damp disco number reminded of this, by Lorraine Chase, in which she invents Lily Allen in 1979.

ollyboro

https://youtu.be/rhEiplRDhk4

At least he doesn't go on about "darkies". Or at least he doesn't in the 30 seconds that I listened to.

ollyboro

Bloody Hell. A good 20 years after last seeing an episode of Till Death Us Do Part, I post a link to an Alf Garnett cash in single, before channel surfing Freeview and landing on an an episode of Till Death Us Do Part. It can only be The Queen looking over me

ollyboro

And 2 minutes after I mention the Queen, Alf Garnett is now having a dream about donating blood to save the Queen's life. This is getting weird.

George White

Quote from: Bongo_Christ on May 21, 2022, 12:57:27 PMHe did an entire EP in character as a spin off from The Army Game, in 1959:

One of them, You Need Feet -a parody of You Need Hands by Max Bygraves ended up being covered as a poem on the Dick Van Dyke Show by Richard Haydn (Uncle Max in the Sound of Music, and old-timey radio comic on both sides of the Atlantic)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv04F8kDGVg

Snrub

Agree that Proper Crimbo is a tune, but there was another single from Avid Merrion the following Christmas (for charity this time) with Davina McCall and Patsy Kensit - a cover of I've Got You Babe but based on the bloated third series of Bo Selecta where they had more money than they knew what to do with. Jim Bowen being in the video is about the best thing about it.

On the other side was a Craig David parody single which had been trailed in the series that summer. I'd say it hasn't aged well but must have been questionable at the time