Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Just rewatching the first episode of the season. Sylvia very prominently grinds coffee just before Lalo murders them all. I'm wondering if bad things follow coffee.

EDIT: Saul describes himself as fully caffeinated just before Kevin Wachtell spots him at the gold club and he twists it in his favour.

JamesTC

It is amazing just how much Kim is masterminding the plan. Saul tries to pitch in ideas but gets shot down. Yet it is Saul doing most of the dirty work.

I wonder if the roles were reversed with Saul masterminding and Kim doing the dirty work whether we would have a much dimmer view on proceedings.

kalowski

Well I thought that was fantastic. I cannot wait for the next episode.

grainger

Quote from: buttgammon on May 17, 2022, 12:13:11 PMThe puns on D-Day all lead to Omaha (Beach).

Omaha is notorious as the beach that had the highest allied casualties (i.e. casualties for the people executing the plan). Whether that's significant, I don't know.

grainger

Quote from: Mobius on May 18, 2022, 11:11:01 PMInteresting that Kim made a point of acknowledging the vacuum cleaner business card

Yeah - I think that might point to her fate. Or maybe it's a huge red herring.

Old Thrashbarg

It does feel like too obvious a signpost for this show, so I'd imagine it's a red herring. Or maybe just a way of emphasising that's how Saul came to have his underworld contacts.

kalowski

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 21, 2022, 09:22:17 AMIt does feel like too obvious a signpost for this show, so I'd imagine it's a red herring. Or maybe just a way of emphasising that's how Saul came to have his underworld contacts.
That what I thought. Just as mentioned, at some point that book and the contacts become Saul's.

buttgammon

We also know that Jimmy/Saul ends up using the vacuum cleaner guy, so I think it's more a strand connecting us to where he ends up than anything else.

JamesTC

I'm starting to think that it is too obvious to give Kim a bad ending. Or is it too obvious to subvert expectations by giving her a happy ending?

Maybe it could be a bit of both. What if she ends up doing the job she loves but not because she loves helping people but out of guilt for needing to make up for the bad things she is doing.

Old Nehamkin

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Saul Goodman's little black book of shady contacts being something he acquired ready-made from some other guy like a sort of RPG item. I guess I always assumed that by the Breaking Bad timeline he would've just organically developed an esoteric network of "guys who know guys" over the course of several years of hardcore sleazy lawyering. He always came across as so well-versed and confident in navigating the criminal underworld that it felt just about believable that he knew how to put you in touch with, say, a guy who runs a fantastical freelance witness relocation business. It just feels a bit limp and universe-shrinking to learn that he actually just picked up all these names in one go from the vet character.

dontpaintyourteeth

I am convinced that wherever Kim is, she's still a lawyer during the Gene era. I think it's inevitable that they meet up in the end. Maybe he fesses up and she represents him? It would make sense for him to end up in prison. Walt dies, Jesse escapes... Saul goes to prison? I am not committing myself to this in case I turn out to be completely wrong. Alright cheers

Twit 2

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 21, 2022, 01:22:04 PMI'm not sure how much I like the idea of Saul Goodman's little black book of shady contacts being something he acquired ready-made from some other guy like a sort of RPG item. I guess I always assumed that by the Breaking Bad timeline he would've just organically developed an esoteric network of "guys who know guys" over the course of several years of hardcore sleazy lawyering. He always came across as so well-versed and confident in navigating the criminal underworld that it felt just about believable that he knew how to put you in touch with, say, a guy who runs a fantastical freelance witness relocation business. It just feels a bit limp and universe-shrinking to learn that he actually just picked up all these names in one go from the vet character.

Why not both? He's got the black book and his organic contacts?

Just like to echo that the show is as good as ever, and anyone who liked it before and doesn't now is WRONG.

Blue Jam

Ye
Quote from: Twit 2 on May 21, 2022, 03:33:14 PMJust like to echo that the show is as good as ever, and anyone who liked it before and doesn't now is WRONG.

Quite right.

And this:
https://uproxx.com/tv/better-call-saul-dogs-little-bear-fernando/

grainger

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 21, 2022, 01:22:04 PMI'm not sure how much I like the idea of Saul Goodman's little black book of shady contacts being something he acquired ready-made from some other guy like a sort of RPG item.

Yeah, I hate that sort of thing. Worst case I know of is in Batman Begins, when Bruce Wayne returns home after years away. His company says to him "Gee, it's great you're back Mr Wayne, we thought you were dead! You can resume running the company though, even though everyone thought you were dead for years. Also, while you were away, we developed a cool armoured suit and a car that's better armoured than a tank. They're better than military grade, but the military don't want them now, so you might as well have them." I don't understand how anyone keeps a straight face after that point in the film.

Blue Jam

Whatever, here's a nice interview with The Bob, pictured enjoying some heart-healthy food and looking very svelte. Can't ask a cardiac patient to chub up for a role now can you:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2022-05-17/bob-odenkirk-better-call-saul-final-season

Apparently only one other actor knows how the final scene ends, and they can't be named because it would be a massive spoiler, but this is reassuring:

Quote"This is not a spoiler, what I'm saying here," Odenkirk adds. "It's weird, because it sounds like maybe I'm pitching that Saul becomes this goodhearted, generous, caring person. I can't tell you where he ends up, but it's not like he has some revelation of humanity. I think he gets to ..." Odenkirk pauses. "I think I've said all I can say. But I like where his journey ends. And I think you'll like it too."

Well, I have faith in them to stick the landing.

Bently Sheds

I had a thought when Howard was telling his wife (?) that he was handling the Jimmy Situation that this handling maybe ends up affecting Kim instead of Saul...

selectivememory

It would have been unsatisfying if the vet was a character they'd just introduced for the purpose of getting Jimmy the book. Would have felt very lazy on the writers' part. But the vet's been well established as a criminal go-between since the first season, and with the exception of Mike and the Salamancas, it's through him that Jimmy has met most of his criminal contacts in the series. Maybe a bit too neat and tidy, but it works for me. Assuming that he gets the book with minimal complications, which is far from guaranteed with this show.

RDRR

The scene with Howard making the coffee was incredibly naff. I really enjoy the show but I don't understand how they can watch back scenes like that, a good half of gus' scenes, any of the twins', and not think well that's incredibly naff, let's obviously cut that. Brings to mind Sherlock, at its* worst.

*BTS's, in case it wasn't obvious.

Blue Jam

I loved it. Very Coen Brothers.

Was "Fernando" an Alan Partridge reference? Could have been another ABBA reference after "Winner" I guess, but as The Bob is a massive British comedy geek and a producer of this show I'd like to think it was a reference to Alan Partridge Jr.

Cute stumpy scruffy little fucker though wasn't he awwww

Ant Farm Keyboard

The thing with ABBA is that the rights to use their songs (both for the publishing and the track itself) in a soundtrack are ridiculously cheap. That's why there was an entire Community episode taking place during a dance that only consisted of ABBA tracks. in comparison, it costs an arm to use anything by the Beatles (who are also very selective, as it takes four signatures to validate any use of their music) and, weirdly, Bob Seger.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Paul
Ringo
Yoko
One of George's wives or kids?

Ant Farm Keyboard

That's it. Apparently, a famous track costs around $100K for licensing. For the Beatles, it's much more. When Matthew Weiner asked to put "Tomorrow Never Knows" on Mad Men, it cost the production $250K and you only hear 30 seconds. Community blew something like their entire soundtrack budget for the season on "Epidemiology", but they had six ABBA songs in it, and it wouldn't have been possible with a different band in the same league.
The Bob Seger thing comes from 30 Rock. On one episode, Tina Fey sang "Workin' on my night cheese" (these were the entire lyrics) to the tune of "Night Moves". It cost NBC $50K just clear the publishing rights, and it was alluded to in the Peacock reunion special, as Liz Lemon is prevented from singing it again.

JamesTC

There is a very strange shot of Kim reflected in some coffee in Episode 5 of this season.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 22, 2022, 11:27:24 AMThe thing with ABBA is that the rights to use their songs (both for the publishing and the track itself) in a soundtrack are ridiculously cheap. That's why there was an entire Community episode taking place during a dance that only consisted of ABBA tracks. in comparison, it costs an arm to use anything by the Beatles (who are also very selective, as it takes four signatures to validate any use of their music) and, weirdly, Bob Seger.

I'm sure I can remember an episode of the podcast where they mentioned Benny (or maybe it was Bjorn) recognising Vince Gilligan and going over for a chat, and that's how they got permission to use The Winner Takes It All. Maybe it's easy to license but harder to do a cover?

I wonder how much all the music licensing in After Life costs. I'd wager Ricky Gervais has expensive tastes.

Blue Jam

...anyway, mid-season finale tomorrow. Getting Saulier:

If Lalo hurts
Spoiler alert
Fernando
[close]
I'm rioting.

up_the_hampipe

A montage of Lalo looking through files, Gus walks through some places and Mike scowls. Final scene is Kim and Jimmy arriving at HHM for D-Day. Jimmy says "You ready?" she goes "Ready."

See you in July.

JamesTC

Cliff swigs the coffee, grimaces and then asks Kim about Howard. I really hope that these are intentional.

Blue Jam

What's this about then? Prayer vigil? Confession time? Catholic guilt?

JamesTC

I'm thinking that Plan & Execution might also refer to the Lalo/Gus side of the story with a double meaning on execution.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Candle in the wind. Car crash.
Wine glasses? Drunk car crash.