Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veggies pod

Started by touchingcloth, May 21, 2022, 02:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Time for yet another "the shit people come out with" thread.

I've come to the conclusion that the contractions "veggies" for vegetables and "pod" for podcast are the worst crimes to have been perpetrated in modern times.

I'm reading an otherwise good book about diabetes, but every single page has at least two "veggies" on it. I was getting annoyed "to fuck" about this so I put the book down and looked for a podcast instead, but the first description I looked at with "on today's pod" and I'm afraid there was simply no alternative to the subsequent murdies I committed.

(Incidentally I think the book exclusively uses the phrases "reach for" and "munch on" in place of "eat", which in some ways is another issue altogether but in other ways helps my rage not one bit.)

Dex Sawash

I could accept occasionally dropping 'cast instead of podcast. Podcast isn't even a good term for chunk of recorded bollocks.

Cold Meat Platter

If you don't like our language why don't you go and live in North Korea? No one's forcing you to hear or see things.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 21, 2022, 05:10:02 PMIf you don't like our language why don't you go and live in North Korea? No one's forcing you to hear or see things.

I'm planning to move to Bad Korea once they open again after COVID.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'm enjoying all the anger on here about language changing and becoming less formal

Maybe I could go on tiktok and turn the youth into prescriptivists. Sammiches? get in the barrel

thenoise

Dont like a new word,phrase or abbreviation?

Post it on the 'rum.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'm abbreviationpilled and its a vibe

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get the feeling that veggies is an Americanism that we've unfortunately adopted fairly recently. I don't remember anyone saying it in the 80s or 90s. It is shit and twee and childish, and if you say it I hate you.

Video Game Fan 2000

i love to put some chee on my burgs

badaids

touchingcloth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 21, 2022, 05:42:46 PMI get the feeling that veggies is an Americanism that we've unfortunately adopted fairly recently. I don't remember anyone saying it in the 80s or 90s. It is shit and twee and childish, and if you say it I hate you.

The thing is, I think I'm kind of OK with it to mean "vegetarian", and it wouldn't cause me to go too mad if a friend said it instead of vegetables once in a blue moon. But reading it over, and over, and over again in a book about healthy eating just made me want to eat a load of chippies and burgies.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Oh god can we talk about "munch[ing] on" and how everyone who says it deserves lemon juice in their eyes

Goldentony

Veggies is dogshit, been saying this for years. It all started with Veggies and then Nom was the fucking great destroyer, the angel that was cast out. Now Ukraine's a warzone.

Bernice

Quote from: Bernice on May 21, 2022, 10:11:59 AMJesus Christ, who cares. Has overwrought misanthropy not had its day yet. 'People who drink lucozade get in grave hahahaha' 'Please gas everyone who likes a thing I don't like hahahahahah'

Elderly Sumo Prophecy