Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids in the Hall - 2022

Started by Ham Bap, May 11, 2022, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

Kids in the Hall Comedy Punks documentary is up on Amazon Prime now.

It's good, 2 parts.

Shaky

McCulloch in particular is just such an amazing performer. His slightly odd elvish looks, the weird detached delivery.

dissolute ocelot

It's very strange having recently watched a lot of the original series, to see how old they are. It's not like Monty Python where half of them seemed middle-aged from childhood: Dave Foley looked about 12 in the original series, Scott Thompson was a fine specimen of man meat, Kevin Mcdonald looked like he'd emerged from some strange laboratory, frinstance. Now they are older than me, hurray!

Anyway, just to echo, great stuff. Just shows how much of sketch comedy is in the execution, things like faxes and Zoom calls transformed into great comedy. Is it their grasp of character, their understated acting skills, their writing? As well as nudity, which is always the funniest thing.

QDRPHNC

According to Scott Thompson on Twitter, the viewing figures this weekend will determine if they get another series.

Ham Bap

j_u_d_a_s

This is easily up there with some of their greatest sketches. Keep rewatching it thanks to Mark McKinney's excellent performance.

McDead

McKinney was the standout in this, for me.

Rizla

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on May 24, 2022, 05:55:40 PMThis is easily up there with some of their greatest sketches. Keep rewatching it thanks to Mark McKinney's excellent performance.
My thoughts entirely. Straight away, instant classic.

Shaky

Just rewatched Death Comes to Town, having been a touch disappointed the first time round, and enjoyed it a hell of a lot. Brilliant performers the lot of them, and it's got a real sweetness to it as well as some great (and occasionally disgusting) gags.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Turns out "Doomsday DJ" got the Kids a lot of attention.

https://ew.com/tv/dave-foley-kids-in-the-hall-break-out-sketch-doomsday-dj-interview/

The interview doesn't address the biggest flaw in the sketch. Why doesn't he try the B-side at least once?

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 27, 2022, 07:48:04 PMTurns out "Doomsday DJ" got the Kids a lot of attention.

https://ew.com/tv/dave-foley-kids-in-the-hall-break-out-sketch-doomsday-dj-interview/

The interview doesn't address the biggest flaw in the sketch. Why doesn't he try the B-side at least once?

I just watched that episode the other night, and those sketches gave me a really unsettling feeling. Nightmarish.

Twilkes

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on May 27, 2022, 08:46:54 PMI just watched that episode the other night, and those sketches gave me a really unsettling feeling. Nightmarish.

It's a cross between Mike Smash's repeated playing of Bobby Goldsboro's 'Honey' and Dave Nice's plaintive 'And it's a big hello to all you truckers out there' on Radio Quiet from their End Of An Era special.

I thought it was a very powerful set of sketches but not particularly funny, maybe something Limmy would do if he got another TV series in ten years time.

McDead

Yeah, this is the sketch I thought was very Limmy like, with a dash of M&W's Remain Indoors. He even sort of looks like Limmy's "permo" character.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Twilkes on May 27, 2022, 09:00:33 PMIt's a cross between Mike Smash's repeated playing of Bobby Goldsboro's 'Honey' and Dave Nice's plaintive 'And it's a big hello to all you truckers out there' on Radio Quiet from their End Of An Era special.

Yeah, that's what it reminded me of, too - in particular, some of his pained expressions reminded me of Smashie's face when he wearily plays his not-Arnold the dog sound effect in that scene.

I've watched the whole series a couple of times now, and it really is such a strong comeback. You don't have to look too far in Comedy Chat to be reminded of other comedians who are happy to coast on their name, past work, etc, but the Kids are just phenomenal writers and performers. As other people have pointed out, they bring so much to every character. Take the gay thermodynamics sketch: Kevin McDonald's character is very much the least in terms of importance to the sketch and the number of jokes on the page, but he just brings so many funny little looks, and a really sweet but silly warmth and devotion to the character. Crucially, it's not trying to upstage anyone else, the way it would be in some other shows, but it's just adding more comedy value to the sketch.

Also, quite late, but:

Quote from: lipsink on May 11, 2022, 08:12:55 PMI hope this doesn't end up being a load of old guys doing jokes about trans people.

This was never a risk, seeing as they all seem to be pro-trans (Dave Foley in particular is vocal on the social media).

BeardFaceMan

Yup, having finally polished off the series I'm now gagging for a rewatch. Very few duff sketches for me, a very high hit-rate and a few that could comfortably sit alongside their classics. Really hope they get to do a second season, they seem into it too, has there been any more news about that?

QDRPHNC

No news yet, unfortunately, at least according to Scott on Twitter.

neveragain

This was the first Kids series I've ever watched (having tried and failed to get into their older stuff multiple times)... and I loved it. Silly, creative (a wonderful array of weird ideas), a very likable cast, absolutely packed with great lines. Everything a sketch show should be.

I didn't need the aged penises.

BeardFaceMan

It's so nice to see the near-universal praise for this series, from critics to new and old fans alike. I'd be suprised/disappointed if we didn't see some more of this.

Sonny_Jim

Pretty sure I saw one of them on Twitter heavily hinting that they'd got the second series.

Shaky

Foley has said they'll definitely do something else again soon, even if Amazon don't want another series.

Quote from: neveragain on May 28, 2022, 06:04:47 PMI didn't need the aged penises.

That's part of what made it funny - there was a tacit admission that gross nudity is kind of an obvious, desperate laugh (as well as off-putting to a lot of people) but they knowingly dragged it out to absurd extremes and put that sketch right at the front. I can't think of many other comedy performers who'd get away with that, and for it not to be the most memorable sketch by any stretch.

I was amused to read a comment by some American on FB who settled down to watch the new show with his kids, having extolled the brilliance of the original seasons - he was utterly mortified and repulsed by Dave & Kevin's little exhibition, and immediately turned it off.

The Mollusk

I got up to episode 5 of this, which was definitely a sudden drop in quality and didn't evoke even half as much of the humour or gleeful charm as the preceding four episodes, which were largely excellent throughout. Still looking forward to watching the rest though.

McChesney Duntz

The fifth is probably the weakest of the eight - probably pulled the old Python trick of plopping the worst episode somewhere in the middle of the run to minimize damage (though, like Python, their worst is still pretty good).

But never mind that - the most amazing thing about this new series is the fact that McKinney resurrected a character that appeared exactly once before, and not even on this show; it was buried in the closing minutes of a 1996 SNL episode and never mentioned by anyone ever again. Except by me, a half-dozen times on Twitter, and McKinney "like"d most of those citations, so I'm going to go ahead and say it was all my doing. You're welcome. Don't do the pot.

(see below)

McChesney Duntz

neveragain

After enjoying the great Comedy Punks documentary, I fancied watching the last episode of Season 5 on Amazon Prime but it doesn't seem to be on there...?

steveh

#21 on https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B09HY6W6RY/, #22 is a compilation episode.

The original episodes on Amazon (at least in the UK) are missing the first half of season 4 although they are available on their YouTube channel but I think everything else is there.

neveragain

Ah, thank you. Much appreciated.