Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2022, 06:30:31 PMThe dynamic was always Gervais + Merchant calling Pilkington an idiot.

I don't think it was simple as that. I seem to remember that Merchant would frequently castigate Gervais for interrupting Pilkington and not letting him finish a thought. And I think he did get genuinely annoyed by Karl's pathological reluctance to expand his horizons - rather than just overegging how 'thick' he was the way Gervais did.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 12, 2022, 04:11:52 PM

Wow, if people didn't like his envelope-pushing maverick style before, this photo will surely convince any doubters. How much more subversive could you get? The answer is none. None more subversive.

I spotted the below magazine cover on the shelves a few months ago. As you can see from the photo, he is clearly a genius because you see he's a comedian, but he's not even smiling. In fact, he is promoting a show about death, which is sad, and you can see he's sad there because of the facial expression and the shadows, so it really must be an astonishing work of crymedy and not the load of mawkish bollocks I assumed it was after seeing a few clips.

(^ For a split second I thought the magazine was called DEREK, but alas not)

RicoMNKN

Stewart Lee has noticed the theft...
https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/plagiarists-corner/

QuoteNearly twenty years on and Gervais' act is still made out of bits of my old stuff, either verbatim, or re-jigged and retooled for his own evil alt-right-light purposes. I didn't realise asking if I could quote his praise of me on a poster seventeen years ago meant I had entered a Faustian pact.

Old Nehamkin

I don't agree
Quote from: mr. logic on May 12, 2022, 06:23:50 PMThis certainly wasn't true in the XFM podcasts. Merchant routinely pointed out that Gervais was trying to engineer that with Pilkington as the Hammond figure.

Yeah, I would say that Merchant was generally more than capable of standing his ground against Gervais whether or not Karl was involved. He would frequently call out/undermine/take the piss out of Gervais over all sorts of things on those XFM shows. He was far from a spineless, obseqious yes-man.

Replies From View

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on May 12, 2022, 10:06:02 PM

DREK

petril

checkoutgirl

Coincidentally I was just thinking yesterday that any singer that wears a pair of wings for any reason (Justin Bieber, Pink etc) is almost certainly not going to be worthy of any kind of serious consideration. So Gervais wearing wings is actually quite appropriate.

Imagine being a Gervais fan and having to come up with excuses for why these innumerable photo sessions in embarrassing poses and get ups are somehow acceptable.

The chubby funster just can't seem to resist the urge to play dress up and smolder into the lens. A hangover from his new romantic days in the early eighties when doing that was most of the job, perhaps.

Blue Jam

Those photos remind me of stuff I posted in the old Phwoargh thread, things like this:

and this:

Never posted these, but these too:

...except all these other comedy peeps look cool as fuck, like they're not taking themselves seriously and not even trying to look cool, or sexy, or make a profound statement, or whatever. They're sure as hell not smouldering into the lens either. Gervais really never could get away with this. Why is that?

willbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 13, 2022, 07:33:11 PM...except all these other comedy peeps look cool as fuck, like they're not taking themselves seriously and not even trying to look cool, or sexy, or make a profound statement, or whatever. They're sure as hell not smouldering into the lens either. Gervais really never could get away with this. Why is that?

I think it's because those comedians all look basically high-self-esteem and/or attractive, and they're deprecating themselves but you can see that they have confidence to spare and the self-deprecation isn't really touching their self image. Wheras you don't have to look very hard into Gervais' interviews/routines to find that he feels bad about his weight struggles, he feels bad about being a failed pop star, his Dad was possibly mean to him growing up. He doesn't have the self-esteem to spare to comfortably mock himself, he needs to be a cool rock star comedian - preferably with a victim like Ince or Karl to project his self hate onto.

Funny thing is I can imagine him mocking himself as a character - as Brent or Andy for example - but not as himself.

BritishHobo

And as Talking Funny showed, he's so hung-up on maintaining a justification for his bigoted humour. All other edgy comedians are carefree because they need no further excuse for making horrible jokes about minority groups beyond "it's funny". Gervais has to eternally convince himself that his jokes are actually clever brilliant ironies that show up that the attitudes he revels in aren't okay. Even though he does it anyway. He's incapable of admitting he just finds disabled people inherently funny because they're different. Whereas someone like Dave Chapelle has no issue hammering trans people with obsessively horrible jokes without needing to self-justify why he does it.

Gervais is essentially a man trapped by his own sense of humour.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam

Collar turned up but shirt tucked in. I've had edgier geography teachers.

petril

jeans are the proper shade of from the market blue as well

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 13, 2022, 07:33:11 PM
WTF! hes giving me the middle finger! thats outrageous! hardly angelic behaviour.

actually the wings kinda look like sanitary towels

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 13, 2022, 07:33:11 PM...except all these other comedy peeps look cool as fuck, like they're not taking themselves seriously and not even trying to look cool, or sexy, or make a profound statement, or whatever. They're sure as hell not smouldering into the lens either. Gervais really never could get away with this. Why is that?

Willbo touched on it pretty well, but it's worth repeating: Gervais is incredibly thin skinned so in all of his photos he's cosplaying as a dictator or giving the finger to the camera.

He's playing dress up as "the coolest guy on earth (TM)" because he's desperate to not be seen as anything less. So in none of the photos is he self deprecating or self mocking, because then he'd have to depict himself as not the coolest guy on earth.

Whereas Jon Hamm, Hugh Laurie, Vic and Bob have no qualms taking self deprecating photos because A.) it's a bit of fun B.) they ARE the coolest guys on earth, and are confident enough where taking mocking photos doesn't contradict that. 

checkoutgirl

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 22, 2022, 06:00:38 PMactually the wings kinda look like sanitary towels

Woah, your vagina must be huge.

buttgammon

The middle finger, how edgy! And American.

idunnosomename

With those jeans the digits you'd expect to be stuck somewhere is both thumbs down the waist when Rockin All Over the World comes on

DJ Bob Hoskins

I will never cease to be amazed that he doesn't seem to realise how tonally similar his latter-day publicity photos are to this:

Blue Jam

Quote from: willbo on May 22, 2022, 07:00:44 AMI think it's because those comedians all look basically high-self-esteem and/or attractive, and they're deprecating themselves but you can see that they have confidence to spare and the self-deprecation isn't really touching their self image. Wheras you don't have to look very hard into Gervais' interviews/routines to find that he feels bad about his weight struggles

Maybe comparing him to HAMM! Jon Hamm was a bit unfair, sorry. Still, there are comedians like Stewart Lee, Jo Brand, Jack Black etc who joke about their weight and seem a lot less arsed about it. Could it be that Are Ricky just isn't comfortable in his own skin?

QuoteHe doesn't have the self-esteem to spare to comfortably mock himself, he needs to be a cool rock star comedian - preferably with a victim like Ince or Karl to project his self hate onto.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 22, 2022, 06:21:20 PMWillbo touched on it pretty well, but it's worth repeating: Gervais is incredibly thin skinned so in all of his photos he's cosplaying as a dictator or giving the finger to the camera.

He's playing dress up as "the coolest guy on earth (TM)" because he's desperate to not be seen as anything less. So in none of the photos is he self deprecating or self mocking, because then he'd have to depict himself as not the coolest guy on earth.

I think you've both hit the nail on the head here. When Gervais poses for photos like this he's smoking a big cigar, or spraying champagne, or wearing a crown, or actually playing at being Jesus. I couldn't imagine him letting Karl Pilkington spray him with silly string, or letting Stephen Merchant use him as a golf tee- no, they'd have to be medieval peasants bowing to King Ricky:

I guess it's the same with his character in After Life- he can't write himself as a loser, he has to be the smartest and coolest guy in the room.

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 22, 2022, 10:56:17 AMAnd as Talking Funny showed, he's so hung-up on maintaining a justification for his bigoted humour. All other edgy comedians are carefree because they need no further excuse for making horrible jokes about minority groups beyond "it's funny". Gervais has to eternally convince himself that his jokes are actually clever brilliant ironies that show up that the attitudes he revels in aren't okay. Even though he does it anyway. He's incapable of admitting he just finds disabled people inherently funny because they're different. Whereas someone like Dave Chapelle has no issue hammering trans people with obsessively horrible jokes without needing to self-justify why he does it.

Dave Chapelle is too relaxed and comfortable to give a fuck, aye.

I suspect being self-consciously cool is just incompatible with being a comedian.

Blue Jam

Seriously, five separate photoshoots- a bit much, no?

willbo

I saw this clip from one his live shows where he was doing some sort of fake African accent. He reassured the audience that he had a point and quipped "one false move and I'm Jim Davidson". But I didn't watch it long enough to get the point.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 22, 2022, 08:08:06 PMSeriously, five separate photoshoots- a bit much, no?

You can't polish a turd.

Barry Admin

This bollocks was mentioned but we need to see it again:

Pink Gregory

Quote from: willbo on May 22, 2022, 08:23:30 PMI saw this clip from one his live shows where he was doing some sort of fake African accent. He reassured the audience that he had a point and quipped "one false move and I'm Jim Davidson". But I didn't watch it long enough to get the point.

That bit is really contrived, like he can't finish the joke because he's laughin at himself doing a stupid voice but it feels...rehearsed?  Also it's part of the routine that goes in on chronic fatigue syndrome, which isn't a strong bit in the first place.  Yeah Ricky, that'll show 'em.

Cold Meat Platter

I wonder if he's thought of any more hilarious things to identify as.

FredNurke

He's already on thin ice with 'comedian'.

DigForVictory

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 22, 2022, 08:54:57 PMThis bollocks was mentioned but we need to see it again:

The double whammy of these photos and Lifes too Short was when I started to realise oh dear, what the fuck is he doing?

I think they were around the same time, a real wake up call.

frajer

Looks like a Cenobite.

And his belly button sounds like a pub bore.

idunnosomename

Quote from: DigForVictory on May 23, 2022, 01:08:07 AMThe double whammy of these photos and Lifes too Short was when I started to realise oh dear, what the fuck is he doing?

I think they were around the same time, a real wake up call.
yes, LOL A MIDGET MAN!!! aired Nov 2011, the date of that magazine is obvious from the 9/11 story

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on May 12, 2022, 10:06:02 PMWow, if people didn't like his envelope-pushing maverick style before, this photo will surely convince any doubters. How much more subversive could you get? The answer is none. None more subversive.

I spotted the below magazine cover on the shelves a few months ago. As you can see from the photo, he is clearly a genius because you see he's a comedian, but he's not even smiling. In fact, he is promoting a show about death, which is sad, and you can see he's sad there because of the facial expression and the shadows, so it really must be an astonishing work of crymedy and not the load of mawkish bollocks I assumed it was after seeing a few clips.

The Wombats?? Is it 2007 again?

Talk about the comeback no-one asked for.