Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I used to read the New Humanist when work got rid of the back issues. Was quite a good read back then (predating that cover). Don't remember it being full of teenage edgelord athiest wank.

idunnosomename

I dont think it is... it's been going for over a century. I think they could hardly turn down that cover(unlike the much higher circulation Rolling Stone did) because they knew it would shift copies

dead-ced-dead

It's quite a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation for them. Gervais' name will sell copies and print media could hardly turn that kind of thing down, but you just know their editors took a look at those photos and died a little inside.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 22, 2022, 08:54:57 PMThis bollocks was mentioned but we need to see it again:

God i mean he's just so brave.. he just doesn't care what we think? and so ICONIC.

and a cigar?!

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 12, 2022, 03:51:44 PMHe also sent (or at least he claims he did) Rolling Stone a photo of himself dressed as a clown with a gun in his mouth. 100% he came up with these concepts all by himself and he thought they were massively profound, and still does, because he is the cleverest funniest kindest man ever

keep thinking about this post because that's exactly the case. he's absolutely the one coming up with these really forced "iconic" photos, all this "can't even tell jokes anymore"/tears of a clown bollocks. wonder if he gets to a stage where he realises it's a stupid idea but the make up's already done and they're ready to shoot so he just has to go through with it with the consolation he can play it off as ironic or "my bank manager loves this one". honestly the atheist one is not much better than Katie Hopkins putting that target on her forehead.

Des Wigwam

The Christ on a Mic one confuses me (not in a feelings way) because he seems to be going for a sexy/sultry/coquettish look more than an ironic and iconic look. I can imagine someone like Stephen Fry's character in It's a Sin clapping and saying "oh bravo. yes that's very good" and then fucking him.

Ferris

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 23, 2022, 02:57:35 PMGod i mean he's just so brave.. he just doesn't care what we think? and so ICONIC.

and a cigar?!

Fucking hell, nearly missed this baffling bit of iconography.

Imagine putting on his little costume and thinking "yes, this is a good idea" the whole time.

batwings

No manners but what a critic.

idunnosomename

police are on the look out for a fat ginger paedo

frajer

Quote from: Nottingham PostA golden plaque inscribed on the benches reads: "This bench is donated by Netflix to commemorate Ricky Gervais."

Reading that would get anyone reaching for the axe.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ferris on May 23, 2022, 03:09:49 PMImagine putting on his little costume and thinking "yes, this is a good idea" the whole time.

He was a new romantic in the early eighties. Have you seen the shit he wore then?

I'd like to think it went something like this.

Some old guy caught some youths kicking fuck out of a bus shelter and led them to the park wielding a big hammer.

Ferris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 23, 2022, 03:46:33 PMHe was a new romantic in the early eighties. Have you seen the shit he wore then?

Yeah but that's part of the job description if you join a new romantic pop band in the 1980s. Not my cup of tea but fair enough.

Dressing in a pound shop Winston churchill costume and getting photos taken for no reason is why I'm stumped by it all. It's not like there was an impending Winston churchill sitcom.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ferris on May 23, 2022, 03:54:53 PMYeah but that's part of the job description if you join a new romantic pop band in the 1980s. Not my cup of tea but fair enough.

I know but it shows he has form for going into the box of costumes for photoshoots and it goes back decades. He even made his own costumes out of curtains and that. It's just in his nature to find a dress up photoshoot irresistible.

BritishHobo

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 23, 2022, 03:14:19 PMYes... Ha ha ha... Yes!!

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/anger-netflix-after-life-bench-7113128.amp

That picture just makes me think it's a shit bench. I've seen a lot of vandalism - planks snapped off and so on. But how often do you see all the parts of a bench laid out like somebody's in the middle of assembling some Ikea furniture?

idunnosomename

Im guessing it's been cleared up but it is funny how it looks like it's comically collapsed.

Funnier than After Life anyway

Video Game Fan 2000

I don't trust this story. Look how clean the breakage of the bench is. I reckon that bench committed suicided, probably out of shame.

frajer

Video Game Fan 2000

Ricky Gervais gets sexually aroused thinking about grieving people sitting on uncomfortable ricketty benches. He gets a chubby over the thought that a bad bench would rob them of a pleasant moment of sentiment.

phes

This is so sad for the homeless people who at the time of writing have not yet been murdered by Ricky Gervais

Blue Jam

Maybe the bench just collapsed because a tubby ginger c*** sat on it LOL fat people amirite

Quote from: phes on May 23, 2022, 05:15:02 PMThis is so sad for the homeless people who at the time of writing have not yet been murdered by Ricky Gervais

Just wait until another bench gets burnt down by someone who was a bit careless with their heroin bifta

Barry Admin

QuoteRicky Gervais said after donating the benches: "We hope the benches will create a lasting legacy for After Life, as well as become a place for people to visit, and we are thrilled to be associated with CALM and the great work they do."

A golden plaque inscribed on the benches reads: "This bench is donated by Netflix to commemorate Ricky Gervais."

Lol, fuck off with your mawkish self-promotion you silly twat. Viral marketing via fucking death benches, what coke-addled Netflix wanker thought that up ffs.

petril

maybe the perpetrator had a bad thing happen to them, so it's okay for them to do that. we should be extra kind to them and enable them

phes

just because you're offended that your bench has been obliterated, doesn't mean you're right

idunnosomename

That bench's husband is now going to call everyone that sits on him a paedophile, unless it's a dog of course. It's such a kind bench.

Video Game Fan 2000

Maybe the benches are collapsible because they're supposed to be able to turn into boxing rings so Ricky can beat the homeless to death in the middle of the night.

Dr Rock

It's on tomorrow, how about a god old CAB watchalong?