Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Meal Replacements

Started by QDRPHNC, May 24, 2022, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

The Guppy

Huel's alright. I guzzle loads of it.

I buy the cheapest version, the powder. It tastes a lot nicer when it's been in the fridge half a day, so I make it the day before. If you drink it soon after mixing it, it has a chalky texture and the flavour has an artificial edge that makes you feel like you're making a mistake. The next day it tastes fine, bordering on nice.

Use the subscription option, even for a one-off purchase. You get a big discount and you can cancel the next delivery if you don't want it.

I like some of their other products but they're TOO FUCKING DEAR.

poo

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

touchingcloth

Have you tried a meal replacement wank?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 24, 2022, 08:04:05 PM
Someone trying to game the Youtube algorithm by doing a stupid gurn in the thumbnail - I'm sold!

I skipped a few times in that video and heard him have a pop at pyramid schemes, which I agree with. Hopefully I missed the bits where the host was equally scornful of the system that works people harder, gives them less time, and makes fresh food both less easily available and more expensive. Huel isn't a cause, it's an effect.

Sebastian Cobb

Is it even a serious 'effect' of exploitative late-stage-capitalism at this point or marketing bunk? I get there most-definitely are people who are both cash-and-time poor getting exploited but are they actually using Huel? It seems to be mostly marketed as a productivity tool for youngish tech workers and the like, which is an example of the cargo-cult shit the industry is rife with from top to bottom - the idea that if you copy some of the (less than desirable but ok if you're ok with it, maybe) patterns of high-pressure environments the results will come as well (they don't).

Typically it used to be an institutional problem
https://stevemcconnell.com/articles/cargo-cult-software-engineering/

But it's hardly surprising marketeers got on board as well.

Replies From View

These products are all about replacing a meal once it has already been eaten.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on May 24, 2022, 08:56:35 PMThese products are all about replacing a meal once it has already been eaten.

What like if you left a pie cooling on a windowsill and now it's no longer there?

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

checkoutgirl

Quote from: imitationleather on May 24, 2022, 07:20:11 PMthey cook proper food three times per day

Nobody does that. Nobody cooks breakfast except maybe weekends. Cooked lunches are also a rarity for most people unless beans on toast counts. I cook a dinner most days but only because I'm unemployed and even then it's a pain in the arse.

It's just common sense to eat food rather than whatever these things are. No nutritionist worth a fuck would recommend soylent green and it's not on any food pyramid. 

Who knows? Maybe it could replace breakfast and lunch but dinner too? Is there any independent study where someone's ate this shite for 40 years? That would be interesting. There's a bloke who ate Big Macs everyday for 50 years and amazingly is still alive.

Replies From View

There was a theme tune once that went

ALVIN, SIMON, THEODORE

GRAVE GRAVE
GRAVE IN A GRAVE

GRAVE GRAVE
GRAVE IN A GRAVE

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on May 24, 2022, 07:20:11 PMThis thread will 100% devolve into people bragging about how they cook proper food three times per day and it's easy as piss while working 12 hours and racking up hundreds of posts on here, but until then I also would be interested in some of this stuff that's palatable.

When I went to Bang Face Weekender I took some https://bolfoods.com/collections/power-shakes to make sure I actually had some calories during the four days, and they were pretty nice. A lot better than the blueberry Huel ready to drink thing I also tried, which tasted a bit unpleasantly synthetic. Are the other flavours of Huel or the powders any better on that front?

I'm not one of those three cooked meals a day people. I don't even have time to shake up Huel in those STUPID canisters they give you so I just eat the fucking powder straight out the bag.

Sebastian Cobb

I won't be happy until they make a food that you can shelf up your bot-bot.

Replies From View

On a serious note, whenever there is a snack gap, Twix fits.

So as long as you don't mind replacing "no food" with "food", try Twix.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 09:18:31 PMI won't be happy until they make a food that you can shelf up your bot-bot.

touchingcloth

To be serious for a moment, have any integration tests ever been run on Huel? I get that it has been designed to meet the RDAs of things, but I'd be interested in knowing how the body deals with it in practice, as I suspect it would be similar to how a whole apple, a smoothied apple and a stewed apple are processed quite differently by the digestive system.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2022, 09:21:04 PMTo be serious for a moment, have any integration tests ever been run on Huel? I get that it has been designed to meet the RDAs of things, but I'd be interested in knowing how the body deals with it in practice, as I suspect it would be similar to how a whole apple, a smoothied apple and a stewed apple are processed quite differently by the digestive system.

How long we talking? One of the lads from The Jesus and Mary Chain lived for several months on just pickled eggs and McEwans apparently.

It'd be easy to assume that the system needs lumps of some sort to keep itself in order but some mad bastard must've lived only on soup.

imitationleather

Apparently some Japanese people have lived exclusively on instant ramen noodles for years at a time.

shoulders

Quote from: imitationleather on May 24, 2022, 09:33:50 PMApparently some Japanese people have lived exclusively on instant ramen noodles for years at a time.

Which ones, do we have their names?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 09:30:56 PMOne of the lads from The Jesus and Mary Chain lived for several months on just pickled eggs and McEwans apparently.

Be some bang off that tour bus.

Martin Van Buren Stan

My brother died when he was 2. He lived on nothing but milk and baby food.

imitationleather

Quote from: shoulders on May 24, 2022, 09:35:56 PMWhich ones, do we have their names?

I think it was Ian and Barry.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 09:30:56 PMHow long we talking? One of the lads from The Jesus and Mary Chain lived for several months on just pickled eggs and McEwans apparently.

It'd be easy to assume that the system needs lumps of some sort to keep itself in order but some mad bastard must've lived only on soup.

I'm thinking in the epidemiological sense, but it might be too much to hope that enough people have drank Huel for long enough for any negative effects to become fully apparent.

People could survive a long time on all sorts of diets, but it would be interesting if Huel guzzlers see, for example, higher incidences of intestinal cancers due to the fibre content. On the flip side, you could suppose that they would see fewer incidences of other types of cancer die to the ingredients it doesn't contain.

shoulders

Quote from: imitationleather on May 24, 2022, 09:40:48 PMI think it was Ian and Barry.

Ian san
Barry san
I salute your efforts

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: imitationleather on May 24, 2022, 07:20:11 PMThis thread will 100% devolve into people bragging about how they cook proper food three times per day and it's easy as piss while working 12 hours and racking up hundreds of posts on here, but until then I also would be interested in some of this stuff that's palatable.

When I went to Bang Face Weekender I took some https://bolfoods.com/collections/power-shakes to make sure I actually had some calories during the four days, and they were pretty nice. A lot better than the blueberry Huel ready to drink thing I also tried, which tasted a bit unpleasantly synthetic. Are the other flavours of Huel or the powders any better on that front?

The Huel berry flavoured drinks are very nice, i always go for those. The sweet flavours like cinnamon or salted caramel i find too sickly sweet, when i was getting the powder i always went for the unflavoured one as it was easier to control the flavour by adding stuff to it. The berry one is great though, and they did a strawberry & cream one that was very nice but i think that was a limited run.

H-O-W-L

I had Nurishment a couple times when I was too drunk to cook, but it wasn't really a "meal replacement" more like a "don't die for 24 hours because of starvation" thing. Can only assume these shit shakes named after the funny Breaking Bad man are worse.