Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Twitter flooded with weird replies to Helen saying that BC was just "too early in the fight". They write as if he's died..

"He lost so much"
"He didn't finesse his message enough"
"One day when this is over we might see his writing again"

wrec

The sudden name change is interesting - nobody would know what a hashtag containing Pope Ted was about, but (theoretically) #freefatherted should make people think "What? That comedy I like has been captured? I think I just peaked!".

Also I wonder if that call from Hat Trick really happened today, or if the initial excitement about Gervais wore off as he realised he couldn't capitalise on it, and instead had to watch his erstwhile mild critic / rival get the praise he thinks he deserves (as he alludes to in the video), from exactly the people he wants praise from. Cue weepy broadcast from the bunker.

idunnosomename

It does seem now genuine that Hat Trick and indeed Sonia Freidman Productions PLC were involved in this and there was something worth investing in it at some point. But still we know NOTHING about the plot other than "cardinals twirl around in their robes" and that Graham wants to be more savage to the Catholic Church in it. Also Ted becomes Pope, presumably.

The Father Ted story? What, three misfit Catholic parish priests exiled to a weird island because they're a liability for their various vices and idiocy? There is no story! It was just funny!

Though you can see him trying to do a knock-off of the Seinfeld finale, oh man

Pink Gregory

Quote from: maizebasedsnack on May 24, 2022, 08:48:09 PMTwitter flooded with weird replies to Helen saying that BC was just "too early in the fight". They write as if he's died..

"He lost so much"
"He didn't finesse his message enough"
"One day when this is over we might see his writing again"

Somehow I doubt that a man who has been engaged in a monomaniacal crusade against a small marginalised group in our society could ever return to writing more or less gentle sitcoms.

phantom_power

Good thread by Steve Albini about Gervais:

https://twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1529165810811428865

It is a bit rambling but the main point is:

"Ricky Gervais got comfortable inducing groans, learned to do it like a trick, got famous and wealthy from it. Eventually he saw the groans as the point, and in enlightened circles, the way to induce groans is to disdain enlightenment and be a bigoted piece of shit."

king_tubby

I mean, I love Albini so much one of my cats is called Steve Albini the cat so I am incredibly biased, but this is a bloke who was a total edgelord back in the day (I mean fucking hell the name of his band after Big Black) and he has completely turned that all around and come out as a thoughtful, decent man who completely owns the shit he used to say and is trying to make amends.

Which is punk as fuck.

Excuse the ramblings, I've had some wine.

phantom_power

It shows what a load of bollocks "cancel culture" is. If you do something bad and are genuinely sorry about it and show you have grown and changed and can articulate that then
Quote from: king_tubby on May 24, 2022, 09:15:09 PMI mean, I love Albini so much one of my cats is called Steve Albini the cat so I am incredibly biased, but this is a bloke who was a total edgelord back in the day (I mean fucking hell the name of his band after Big Black) and he has completely turned that all around and come out as a thoughtful, decent man who completely owns the shit he used to say and is trying to make amends.

Which is punk as fuck.

Excuse the ramblings, I've had some wine.

Whereas I remember thinking he was a bit of a dick back in the day but have come to the same general conclusion as you

FalknerHinton

Graham, we all know you're lurking these threads, so I've taken the liberty to knock up some promotional artwork for if (when?!?!) you get the rights to your dumb musical back

You're welcome babe, that'll be £200k thanks.

Quote from: maizebasedsnack on May 24, 2022, 08:48:09 PMTwitter flooded with weird replies to Helen saying that BC was just "too early in the fight". They write as if he's died..

This is most of the glincel love

Ferris

Quote from: Juan K Perros on May 24, 2022, 08:13:47 PMIf he reckons 'cervix haver' is one of the most horrible insults he's heard then he must have gone to a nicer high school than me. Most of us, I'd wager.

You can see him having to gin himself back up into impotent fury to keep going.

It's like "mate nobody is attacking your daughter, what r u on about?" but he's had to convince himself that people are, for some reason, and the anger speeds him back up and carries him through the rest.

wrec

Bizarre perspectives:

- he lost perspective for a while but is back to normal now!
- because of the unbelievable things he was diligently reporting on, people thought he had gone bananas, but now everyone agrees it was the world what had gone bananas.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: FalknerHinton on May 24, 2022, 09:23:14 PMGraham, we all know you're lurking these threads, so I've taken the liberty to knock up some promotional artwork for if (when?!?!) you get the rights to your dumb musical back

You're welcome babe, that'll be £200k thanks.

Ugh. That'll be a T-shirt for them to crowdfund the fucking thing.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

god every time he brings up his daughter I think "mate how many hours did you piss away tweeting abuse at strangers instead of spending time with your family"

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 24, 2022, 10:05:05 PMgod every time he brings up his daughter I think "mate how many hours did you piss away tweeting abuse at strangers instead of spending time with your family"

Right? Then again, until he gets help, it might be better if he didn't have all that much contact with the kids.

My dad was - and still is - a lot like Glinner in how he becomes fixated on some bugbear and will just rant endlessly about it. He was and is an utter nightmare of a person, I try to limit contact as much as I can. You won't be surprised to hear he's all in on the TERF train.

Ex_GC

What's hilarious about the Glincels thinking that they'll get this musical made by creating hashtags and tagging Ricky Gervais is that they don't realise that's one of the reasons why no one wants anything to do with GL- there's too much stink around him and it would be a PR nightmare to make this musical

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 23, 2022, 12:51:20 PMINT. 1950s PRESS ROOM - DAY

Inexplicably, Smitty is lighting ANOTHER cigarette.

SMITTY
Who is this broad that Twitter gave the ol' heave ho? You sweet on her, Chief?

CHIEF
She was at...
(gulps)
J.K. Rowling's lunch.

Smitty's mouth opens, cigarette falling from his lips and onto his lap.

SMITTY
My god!

I absolutely cannot keep up with the pace of this excellent thread, but I felt compelled to say that this is brilliant.

madhair60

Pimhole

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 24, 2022, 10:05:05 PMgod every time he brings up his daughter I think "mate how many hours did you piss away tweeting abuse at strangers instead of spending time with your family"

"MYYYY DAUGHTER". It's not feminism. It's not defending women. It's defending his ownership of His Women.

mtpromises

I like how the Twitter terfs all pretend BC was banned for being a bigot.  If that were the case they'd all be banned.  He was banned for harassment.

Quote from: Graveside Haven on May 24, 2022, 10:25:36 PMI absolutely cannot keep up with the pace of this excellent thread, but I felt compelled to say that this is brilliant.

7-8 pages in just under 24 hours has to be a new record. The Craggy Island hostage situation (I'm still laughing at that) paired with Unfunny Athiest Cunt has proper kicked this thread.

Christ, we're gonna hit 100 by the end of the month, aren't we?

Ex_GC

Comment from a Glincel:

"As much as I like Chappelle and Gervais making jokes about this idiocy that is all it is, jokes. You are doing the serious work and while it may not pay off monetarily you will go down on "the right side of history" as giving your all to end this insanity and with that save many children and gay people from the terrible consequences of trans ideology on their bodies and their minds. For that you have our gratitude in the present and no doubt their gratitude in the future."

Serious work like what? The Her app stunt? Deadnaming and misgendering and sharing pre transition pictures?

Barry Admin

Quote from: mtpromises on May 24, 2022, 10:41:15 PMI like how the Twitter terfs all pretend BC was banned for being a bigot.  If that were the case they'd all be banned.  He was banned for harassment.

And platform manipulation, which we'd have to assume would be using sock puppets for a variety of cunty, gutless reasons.

E.g. replying to himself, abusing people in safety, sending multiple reports about his "enemies".

Cold Meat Platter

If he had the slightest shred of insight he wouldn't be begging billionaires to bet let back on Twitter or creating socks, he'd be suing Twitter for breaking his fucking mind. It has absolutely ruined the cunt.

HAT TRICK, CIRCA 2019, TO GLINNER: We will offer you 200,000 pounds now to go away quietly, and sit indoors to wait for success, praise and future money to roll in while we make the musical.

BC: No.

HAT TRICK: Okay.

BC, AFTER THREE YEARS SITTING INDOORS NOT MAKING A MUSICAL, TO HIS WEBCAM: I've come up with a brilliant counter-offer - give me 200,000 pounds and they can make the musical.

idunnosomename

after the podcast above where he shows his antipathy towards Gervais, might be worth revisiting this carpool with Bobby Llewellyn, where he can't shut up about Twitter and how amazing it is

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 24, 2022, 08:25:23 PM

But I mean they did? It doesn't say all Netflix viewers condemned it or even most. There are just some people condemning the shit they felt worthy of condemnation. "haha you wish" makes no fucking sense aarrgh I mean I haven't forgotten how much transphobic brain rot he has but even the tweet his retweeting contains examples of it ffs

Ferris

I'd been holding off on watching the gervais clip that was posted in here (that I won't link to).

It's absolutely foetid stuff. Shitty spite for the low-IQ baying mob - it's alright, it's just a joke like on top gear.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Ferris on May 24, 2022, 11:19:52 PMI'd been holding off on watching the gervais clip that was posted in here (that I won't link to).

It's absolutely foetid stuff. Shitty spite for the low-IQ baying mob - it's alright, it's just a joke like on top gear.
How fucking long ago did Stu do that bit

Gervais couldn't even steal it correctly either. Stu was making fun of Top Gear by saying monstrous things about the people on Top Gear, and then excusing it by saying "it's just a joke". Gervais just goes "okay this is a joke and it's not what I really think, have you seen those transgenders they have nowadays, ahaha". He's too fucking gutless to just admit he hates trans people.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Graveside Haven on May 24, 2022, 10:25:36 PMI absolutely cannot keep up with the pace of this excellent thread, but I felt compelled to say that this is brilliant.

I'm glad you enjoyed my 50s American screwball comedy parody.

Juan K Perros

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 24, 2022, 04:05:41 PMTo avoid lawsuits we should call it Father Ben.

And have a potential love interest called Anna. Who owns a dog called Cunt.