Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 08:48:37 PMWhat exactly is the point of this mid season break shit?

Isn't it just so they can have a season that's twice as long as usual? I suppose it doesn't matter for streaming but in the days of the Sopranos (earliest example I know of a double-barrelled final season, but there's probably earlier) I would guess that was the reason.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 24, 2022, 11:20:49 AMCan anyone ID the film that Jimmy and Kim were watching?

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 24, 2022, 11:25:56 AMBorn Yesterday (1950), according to IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042276/

QuoteUncouth, loud-mouth junkyard tycoon Harry Brock descends upon Washington D.C. to buy himself a congressman or two, bringing with him his mistress, ex-showgirl Billie Dawn. Brock hires newspaperman Paul Verrall to see if he can soften her rough edges and make her more presentable in capital society. But Harry gets more than he bargained for as Billie absorbs Verall's lessons in U.S. history and not only comes to the realization that Harry is nothing but a two-bit, corrupt crook, but in the process also falls in love with her handsome tutor.

Not seen it myself but the significance seems pretty clear.

I stand corrected:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-midseason-finale-interview-1235152764/

QuoteThe Hollywood Reporter:And we know that Jimmy and Kim are fans of watching screwball comedies together. Why, in this moment, was Born Yesterday what they were watching?

Thomas Schnauz: I'll just admit that we do this: We have a catalog of films that we can use for free. There's a list. We go through them. There are certain films like Scarface in Breaking Bad where we'd have to pay for whatever, but there's a list of films that's like, "These will not cost us anything." We don't have this grand budget. We needed a movie and that was just one that felt fun for the scene. It's that simple.

I guess it is possible to read too much into this ;)

Pretty fascinating interview, I like this about Kim and Jimmy's scam mirroring the BrBa train robbery:

QuoteThomas Schnauz: Jimmy and Kim are very smart cookies, and we needed their plan to go off pretty perfectly. They needed to succeed. But just like in Breaking Bad, when Walt and Jesse did the great train robbery, something bad had to happen. In that episode, the kid on the motorbike paid the price. In this one, we struggled a lot. We knew at the end of this that their plan was going to succeed, but somehow something bad was going to happen. We thought maybe Kim gets disbarred or gets caught or something slips up with the plan, but every time we talked about that, it felt wrong.

Howard is the Drew Sharp of BCS :(

phantom_power

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on May 24, 2022, 03:00:28 PM
Spoiler alert
Who's had the worst fate in the Breaking Bad universe? Howard is up there now.
[close]

Gale Boetticher

The way that Lalo just takes out Howard was truly shocking. This character we have lived with and gone through the gamut of emotions about from hate to thinking he is not too bad actually to respect to pity, and he gets popped like a minor inconvenience. No grand exit like Nacho. No drama like Hank. Just bang, out. Fucking hell

Blue Jam

That's five, possibly six people Lalo has casually murdered this series. Howard must be the last, surely? He can't go on being a charming, smiling murder machine much longer. It'll get old- and it'd be best to make the most shockingly casual of his murders the last.

I doubt he's going to off Kim in episode 8 then.

The Bumlord

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

To be honest, I think if I saw a man producing a gun and begin screwing in a silencer, I'd realise this was a very bad thing and make a bolt for the (open? I think it was still open) door, but that would make for rubbish television. Did his head hit the table on the way down? It seemed like it hit something before hitting the floor.

Mobius

Wow, what an episode... poor Howard :( Genuinely feel bad for the guy. Such a great performance by him.

up_the_hampipe

I still can't get over this episode. It's been swimming in me for hours now. I was being a bit snarky after last week's episode, so I guess I deserved to be fucked up a little.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get the feeling the next episode after the break won't be the immediate aftermath of this. It'll be about Gene, probably. They'll string us along for a bit.

Blue Jam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 24, 2022, 10:17:12 PMI still can't get over this episode. It's been swimming in me for hours now. I was being a bit snarky after last week's episode, so I guess I deserved to be fucked up a little.

Tell me about it, I think I'll need that mid-season break to get over it.

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 24, 2022, 09:36:55 PMHeyyyyyyy Lalo's wearing Walt's watch

I think I'd like to see every main cast member of this show as a Bond villian. All of them at once, in the same film. Just whoever the next Bond is plus all the BCS cast as the baddies.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 10:21:06 PMI get the feeling the next episode after the break won't be the immediate aftermath of this. It'll be about Gene, probably. They'll string us along for a bit.

Episode 8 was the one where The Bob had his heart attack, and apparently Racy, Patrick Fabian and Tony Dalton were all on set. Another Lalo scene? No wonder his heart gave out.

P-Fabz on the BCS Insider podcast this week, obviously.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 24, 2022, 10:23:30 PMEpisode 8 was the one where The Bob had his heart attack, and apparently Racy, Patrick Fabian and Tony Dalton were all on set. Another Lalo scene? No wonder his heart gave out.

They're gonna have a very tense conversation with Lalo while Howard's body just lays on the floor there. So bleak.

kalowski

That was brilliant. I spent the whole episode holding my breath.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 22, 2022, 11:27:24 AMin comparison, it costs an arm to use anything by the Beatles (who are also very selective, as it takes four signatures to validate any use of their music) and, weirdly, Bob Seger.

That explains why Introversion never listened to my feedback that clicking the Shakedown button in Prison Architect should play the Bob Seger track.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 24, 2022, 12:08:19 PMIs there a way to turn off spoilers? I just want to do it temporarily for the purposes of making this thread easy to read. Ta.

I don't think there is a "proper" way but if you open the devtools (ctrl+shift+i) in your browser, select the console tab and paste the below and hit enter it should open all the spoilers on a page:
document.querySelectorAll('.sp-body').forEach((x) => {
    x.setAttribute('style', 'display: block;')
});
document.querySelectorAll('.sp-wrap').forEach((x) => {
    x.setAttribute('open', '')
});

Or if you want to make it easily repeatable, you can add it to your bookmarks bar by creating a new bookmark and pasting this as the address
javascript: (() => {
document.querySelectorAll('.sp-body').forEach((x) => {
    x.setAttribute('style', 'display: block;')
});
document.querySelectorAll('.sp-wrap').forEach((x) => {
    x.setAttribute('open', '')
});
})();

jobotic

Blimey. Don't think I can write anything until tomorrow. Amazing TV

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 08:48:37 PMWhat exactly is the point of this mid season break shit? It's not going to encourage people to watch more of your channel in the interim, it's just going to piss them off.

Wife got AMC+ free for 3 months with her new phone, started just before BCS did. I'll have to pay or pirate the next bunch

Blue Jam

Thanks @Sebastian Cobb, I think I was confusing this place with TV Tropes! You can get rid of spoiler tags on there.

@Dex Sawash, have you checked out Slippin' Jimmy? I'd like to read an honest review but most commentary on it seems to be sneering from people who refuse to watch it, sneering of the kind not seen since Lady Ghostbusters.

Also did anyone see Talkin' Saul? I bet Patrick Fabian was the star there.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 25, 2022, 12:04:56 AM@Dex Sawash, have you checked out Slippin' Jimmy? I'd like to read an honest review but most commentary on it seems to be sneering from people who refuse to watch it, sneering of the kind not seen since Lady Ghostbusters.

I'll watch now, think they're short

Blue Jam

Cheers, and please do report back. Not seen any word on when (or if) they'll drop in the UK.

Sebastian Cobb

Before it got quite serious I quite liked how they've slowly drip-fed the trajectory of the film students, cameraman has gotten more bullish, giving it billy big bollocks to the students now he's a lecturer or something plus trying to bilk more money out of Saul, and the make-up girl is on the stage as well.

Dex Sawash

Slippin Jimmy E1 is a western with snowball shootout. No laughs. Probably some film refs I missed.

SJ E2 is possessed nun/teacher. No laughs. Probably some film refs I missed.

Will probably just watch Hey Arnold now.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Mobius

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 09:51:56 PMDid his head hit the table on the way down? It seemed like it hit something before hitting the floor.

I mean he was definitely dead regardless, but the knocking his bonce on that table on the way down was admittedly funny.

My first thought was it was a reference to Breaking Bad where Skylar's boss dies banging his head, but then I realised not everything is a reference and that'd be fucking pointless.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ah, foreshadowing, or echoing, or something.

It strikes me that Jimmy has now, inadvertently or not, wiped out the entire Hamlin Hamlin McGill founding law firm partners due to his actions. If Hamlin Sr. was still around he'd have probably been deaded too.

Oh, and Skyler's boss doesn't die. He just gets paralysed and bald.

Twit 2

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 25, 2022, 04:18:25 AMOh, and Skyler's boss doesn't die. He just gets paralysed

In some ways worse.

Quoteand bald.

Much worse.

druss

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 24, 2022, 09:51:56 PMTo be honest, I think if I saw a man producing a gun and begin screwing in a silencer, I'd realise this was a very bad thing and make a bolt for the (open? I think it was still open) door, but that would make for rubbish television. Did his head hit the table on the way down? It seemed like it hit something before hitting the floor.
Howard was drunk though, can completely see him not properly computing what was happening.

phantom_power

And not wanting to make the man with the gun get twitchy by making sudden movements

druss

Stressful situations also bring about the "Fight, flight or freeze" response, so even if he wasn't drunk, not legging it would be a perfectly believable reaction.