Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 24, 2022, 05:15:16 PMI can't believe that "I'm sorry" isn't enough to get everyone to forget about those sex crimes you did. Poor Louis CK, what with some people still remembering the sex crimes.

I was thinking about it for ages earlier on, replacing "Louis CK" in my head with "Harvey Weinstein."  He's apologised, but I guess that isn't enough for the woke left!

JaDanketies

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 24, 2022, 06:05:15 PMI was thinking about it for ages earlier on, replacing "Louis CK" in my head with "Harvey Weinstein."  He's apologised, but I guess that isn't enough for the woke left!

You can't even masturbate in front of professional acquaintances these days without getting cancelled by the woke stasi!

QDRPHNC

Tim Heidecker on Twitter:

From the replies:

QuoteI never saw this image before today, and now I've seen it twice in two unrelated incidents. As a result my vagina has fallen off

Ron Superior

Going through the tweets that he's liked and it's full of the worst sacks of shit like Steven Crowder, Claire Fox and Matt Walsh (the alt right cunt, not the UCB guy). Tells you all you need to know.

Bernice

RicoMNKN

Picked 5 random people whose praise tweets Ricky has liked and done an audit of who else they like.

1. Follows Ben Shapiro
2. Follows GB News and The Free Speech Union
3. Follows Guido Fawkes and a load of TERFs
4. Follows Rand Paul and Paul Joseph Watson
5. Follows Count Dankula, Defund the BBC and a bananas amount of TERF and alllivesmatter accounts

Almost none of them follow comedians (well, sometimes Joe Rogan, Andrew Lawrence and Andrew Doyle if they count).
He doesn't have a comedy fanbase any more, just an alt-right one.

Martin Van Buren Stan

I guess it's possible that Ricky Gervais trivia is a biased source but

QuoteRicky has taken over $30 million in ticket sales so far for his #SuperNature tour.
I'd barely thought of Gervais for years but he's still as bafflingly successful as ever. I think after life was the most watched British show on Netflix ever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gervaistrivia/status/1437825145775734792

tdurbo

Cuellar

Just saw 30 seconds of a clip Gary Lineker retweeted (deso) and he was going on about how "people quiz him on twitter when they find out (!) he's an atheist"

Do they, Ricky? Do they still quiz you about the outrageous philosophy of atheism?

I genuinely thought he would have stopped going on about being an atheist. Staggering.

idunnosomename

YOU!?? dont believe in GOD?!?! not even a bit??? your balls. they must be GIGANTIC!!!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 24, 2022, 06:33:54 PMYou can't even masturbate in front of professional acquaintances these days without getting cancelled by the woke stasi!

I love the way Gervais mentions CK who did terrible things and segues to a Kevin Hart tweet from 10 years ago which is total bullshit and should be left in the past. As if there is some equivalence there. Cheeky boy. Sure it's all the same, gettin' your knob out and a tweet from 10 years ago, same thing. Political correctness gone mad.

somersetchris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 24, 2022, 09:25:34 PMI love the way Gervais mentions CK who did terrible things and segues to a Kevin Hart tweet from 10 years ago which is total bullshit and should be left in the past. As if there is some equivalence there. Cheeky boy. Sure it's all the same, gettin' your knob out and a tweet from 10 years ago, same thing. Political correctness gone mad.

Kevin Hart is still very homophobic though, isn't he? He never took any of that back. He hasn't been cancelled (still in the Jumanji films), he just lost one job - if you're the Oscars and you don't want a homophobe presenting your awards then fair enough.

The bit that baffles me about old tweets being dug up, e.g. James Gunn getting fired from Guardians of the Galaxy is that a) Disney didn't do their due diligence *before* hiring him (his past was not a secret!), and b) people don't delete their edgelord tweets from 10 years ago when going for an interview at fucking Disney.

somersetchris

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 24, 2022, 05:14:09 PMThat Louis CK shoutout in the video linked a couple pages back is extremely telling. The way he says in a disgruntled offhand way "He's cancelled now isn't he? It's not enough that he apologised" is lacking the veil of faux-but-actually-real outrage he normally plasters over his work that makes him sound like he's exaggerating for comedic effect but obviously really thinks.

Did he even apologise though? All I remember is that he admitted it was him, then when quiet for about six months in the hope it would blow over. Has he tried to make amends or address his victims in any way at all? As far as I recall in his comeback shows he made a joke about it and didn't address it at all.

And you know what, if you commit sexual assault then no, it isn't necessarily enough if you apologise. Taking responsibility in some way would be a start but he hasn't even done that.

jobotic

Can't bear to read about this shit anymore.

They want suicides and murders.

If no one has posted Albini's excellent tweets on the matter here they are

https://mobile.twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1529165810811428865

jobotic

By the way, Fox talking about "there is still hope".

Hope for what? That someone dies because of you and you get to do a cry laugh emoji?

I won't say what I hope happens to Fox as we don't glorify violence on here

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: jobotic on May 24, 2022, 11:14:26 PMI won't say what I hope happens to Fox as we don't glorify violence on here
Just start off with "now obviously in real life nobody should be the victim of this elaborate, detailed and frighteningly plausible scenario, but imagine if"

just like Ricky Gervais does

and then Netflix pays him money for saying it

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on May 24, 2022, 10:57:30 PMIf no one has posted Albini's excellent tweets on the matter here they are

https://mobile.twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1529165810811428865

I came here to post those. Really great stuff from Albini. Wish I'd been able to read them when I was younger.

No, I'm not going to watch his special before I say it is fucked up and sucks. I have seen fucked up things that suck before and I already know the joke. They only have the one joke. Anti-woke trans-bash comedians are cultivating an audience I want very much not to be a part of.
I used to like Ricky Gervais. His comedy hinted that he disliked the part of himself he indulged so flagrantly, the boorish, selfish unaware part. Him playing an oblivious creep was a necessary element of comedy critical of being oblivious. But as Kurt Vonnegut observed...
we are what we pretend to be. Indulging the pretense eventually becomes so comfortable that it fuses with the person underneath. I've seen it happen up close, with people I called friends, and it demands the self-reflection people of my generation have failed at.
I've seen bands adopt preening rockstar personae, "ironically" changing their names, manner of speech, false biographies, expecting indulgences --all as a kind of comedy-- until they are so comfortable in the persona they forget that they actually suck and nobody likes them.
In the post-punk underground, there developed a modest class of professionals, managers, booking agents, label people... all cut from the same cloth as their peers in bands. Some of them made money and didn't change. Guys like Corey Rusk and Ian MacKaye are the same people now...
that they were in their 20s, they're just not broke. They still harbor the same disdain for the artifice, the pomp, the bourgeois materialism, and showbusiness modes of speech and behavior. They have not become the industry they hated and that hated them.
In contrast, I recall seeing a Rolling Stone spread about a newly-successful grunge label head, formerly a burnout record store guy who now resided in a paneled office, and insisted on being interviewed while getting a massage.
Another officiary once disdained money so thoroughly he only wore sweatpants. They had no pockets, so he couldn't be beholden to a wallet. The floor of his car was a jumble of coins, so when he hit a toll booth he would grab an indistinct handful and throw them in the bucket.
At the beginning of his path to professionalism, he was nicknamed "Nickels," for then-obvious reasons. In time, he fell victim to irony, was renamed "Billions," and started smoking cigars. The way a cartoonish music mogul named "Billions" would.
The premise to all this is, "it's funny 'cause it's *me*. I'm not really like that, so *me* doing it is actually a critique of it, and you reacting to it is part of *me* being the funny part because you wouldn't react to *me* that way otherwise. Get it?
The problem, of course, is that eventually you're not *you* anymore, you're that prick who thinks he's a rockstar, who acquires a drug habit as a bit and yells at an intern about a fucking deli tray. Eventually you're literally a cigar-smoking music business guy.
Lots of these adopted personae came home to roost in other, uglier ways. Bands that played with fascist imagery and language because it was shocking, now have to grapple with a literal fascist element in society taking inspiration from that capricious decision.
Ricky Gervais got comfortable inducing groans, learned to do it like a trick, got famous and wealthy from it. Eventually he saw the groans as the point, and in enlightened circles, the way to induce groans is to disdain enlightenment and be a bigoted piece of shit.
So this time it's not funny because it's *you*. It's fucking awful because *you* are saying the same things people hear when they're being abused, when their humanity is being denied, when they're targeted. The things they hear right before they're murdered.

jobotic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: somersetchris on May 24, 2022, 09:54:20 PMKevin Hart is still very homophobic though, isn't he?

Dunno, don't follow his machinations. In the context of the Gervais clip I actually agree that digging up a decade old tweet is bullcrap. And the inconsistency of firing him for the Oscars but him being hired for loads of films afterwards makes no sense. It's like a mini cancellation.

Also tweeting something a decade ago and whipping your knob out unexpectedly in front of colleagues are not comparable so shouldn't be lumped together in the same breath by the chubby funster. Call me old fashioned.

Cold Meat Platter

Chortle not impressed either, 2.5/5 but reads worse, echoing many criticisms found here:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2022/05/24/50845/ricky_gervais%3A_supernature

neveragain

Someone who's enjoyed Gervais' previous stand-up shows here, despite their quality-variable nature and lack of craft or structure (there'll be a few laughs, who cares). Well, the first half hour of this is woeful, morally indefensible, comedically weak, absolute self-satisfied hack bilge shite. And the rest isn't much better.

idunnosomename

hope James Corden falls on this cunt

"Here's the deal, If I say anything that's over the line offensive, like off the charts offensive, don't make a scene, go to the box office, fill in a form I'll take those away and I'll shit on them!"

8 minutes later

"....this sums up the difference between cats and dogs once and for all, yeah?"

HE SAID WHAT???!

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 24, 2022, 03:17:10 PMThe distance what he thinks he is and what he actually is, is vast.

The idea that anyone could find this insipid, joyless, toss, offensive is truly laughable.

Cold Meat Platter

The only offensive thing is the brazen laziness of it all.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: neveragain on May 24, 2022, 11:53:30 PMthe first half hour of this is woeful, morally indefensible, comedically weak, absolute self-satisfied hack bilge shite. And the rest isn't much better.

Remember in Talking Funny when Gervais opined to a room of much better comedians how he feels the need to give his audience that something extra in his stand up shows? Hmmm. The fucking balls on him.

It was bullshit then but even moreso now it seems. Maybe he thinks this is fantastic stuff, honed and perfected over months of work in progress shows and ruthless editing.

trabuch

If you have one (I did for BCS) may I recommend cancelling your Netflix account - and telling them why.

McFlymo

Quote from: RicoMNKN on May 24, 2022, 09:50:22 PM
Is this real? A friend just posted in a group chat, "The new Ricky Gervais is hilarious", so I replied with that pic and said, "Is it, aye?"

I sincerely hope my friend is being ironic, but sadly, it is unlikely.