Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:09:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More worst responses to the coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 21, 2021, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Quote from: Ferris on March 15, 2022, 03:39:46 PMNothing to add beyond this, this, is my most loathed method of corporate communication. It's matey "bloke in a pub" type shit that you're not supposed to question because it makes you look unreasonable (like Mark Corrigan getting ripped off by the blokey carpenter in Peep Show). We're supposed to respond with "fair play fair play, it's one of them, we've all had a few mate, no worries" and overlook whatever the problem was.

Fuck off, you didn't "get something wrong" and "hold your hands up", you cunts, because you're a corporation that doesn't have hands. We're not talking "forgetting to buy parsnips" type stuff here.

What Wilko did do, was force low-paid staff to make an impossible decision because they're powerless in their own workplace, and a load of corporate ghouls made the calculated and cynical decision to exploit that. They only backed down because it got press attention. Fuck them.

Ugh.

Listen, the lads know they're on a journey

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on March 31, 2022, 02:41:44 PMListen, the lads know they're on a journey

Wilko's executives have always given 110% for the shirt.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 15, 2022, 11:47:45 AMWilko have now U-turned from what would put them in this thread:

I'm glad Wilko have changed their guidance so they now advise staff not to come in if they have covid, but it's very concerning that memo went out in the first place. If the Mirror hadn't got involved would this u-turn have happened?

Of course if the government improved sick pay conditions so that no-one lost money by isolating it would mean people didn't have to make the choice mentioned by the TUC.

You can see the memo here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/wilko-u-turns-after-mirror-26468781

Sorry if it's already covered and I missed it but Morrisons appeared to have done the exact same 'miscommunication' thing when called out.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2022, 01:24:04 PMDyson's new air purifier thing seems kind of bad.
https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1509125141439033348`

When I read it was by chief engineer Jake Dyson I could only conclude it's a nepotistic, vanity project that nobody had the balls to say, it looks rubbish mate.

olliebean

That Dyson thing is an early April Fool, surely?

Ferris

beanheadmcginty

Is that what you see when you pull the top off a Daft Punk?

Ferris

Fambo Number Mive

Absolute nonsense from the Education Secretary

QuoteMr Zahawi said he had stopped wearing a mask in public places, and would not resume wearing one, asked about Jenny Harries' [head of the UK Health Security Agency] comments urging the public to continue wearing face coverings.

He added: "What I have continued to do is not to put a mask on, but I wash my hands regularly – I try and sanitise them, because as you can imagine you shake hands with lots of people during the day."

"In terms of personal behaviour, I'm not going to wear a mask because I think, I've got my booster."

- washing hands, while a good idea to do on a regular basis, doesn't make up for the increased risk to others by not wearing a mask
- wearing a mask protects others, you having a booster doesn't make up for the increased risk to others by not wearing a mask

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/nadhim-zahawi-compares-chris-rock-alopecia-joke-to-school-bullying-41508807.html

Clearly this is the new line the government are pushing, trying to convince people they don't need a mask if they've had their booster, which is untrue.

Ferris

Washing hands as a useful covid thing was discarded in may 2020 wasn't it?

I mean, still do it obv but don't think it'll combat a respiratory virus.

Fambo Number Mive

Flight attendant walks down the aisle of a plane in the USA unmasked holding a bag singing "Throw away your masks". People clap and cheer.

https://twitter.com/Guy_P_Football/status/1516233320430018564

It's one thing to make masks optional on planes, it's another thing to have a member of staff walking down the aisle singing telling passengers to throw away their masks. Probably a bit intimidating for people who wanted to keep them on to protect themselves or others.

Singing in an enclosed space and cheering is also a good way of spreading covid.

More tweets about how several airlines choose to announce the end of the mandate mid flight: https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/airlines-covid-mask-policy-outrage-delta/

Fambo Number Mive

Are the police investigating the threats QAnon members have made against medical staff?

Kankurette

Cross-post from the fertberl thread: Matt Le Tissier's given an interview to the Times about being a COVID denier and it's as bad as it sounds. Someone kindly tweeted the whole thing.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA warning has been issued after people dressed as 'cartoon characters' have been preying on a Covid-19 vaccine clinic in one Greater Manchester shopping centre. The council and NHS have told parents to 'exercise caution' as the individuals are understood to be 'anti-vaccine' protesters targeting 'parents and children'.

Eyewitnesses have told the Manchester Evening News of 'easily 20 or so' of the 'anti-vaxxers' gathering around the One Stockport Hub coronavirus vaccine clinic at the Merseyway Shopping Centre on Saturday, April 30. "They had bullhorns and a lot of them [were] outside the front of the Merseyway Centre," said the witness. "The police were there on Saturday too.

"They had placards about [the vaccine] apparently killing more kids than Covid. They were also handing out and holding newspapers by some made-up rag with some anti-vax front page nonsense."...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/anti-vaxxer-covid-parents-cartoon-23866550

Kankurette

I bet that's the shitty free paper with the conspiracy woo. It's available in the northwest.

Sebastian Cobb

I realise covid denialism isn't really a joke but I can't help but find this funny.

Kankurette

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@Lord_Sugar
This is a bloody joke. The lazy gits make me sick. Call me old fashioned but all this work from home BS is a total joke. There is no way people work as hard or productive as when they had to turn up at a work location. The pandemic has had long lasting negative effect.

This is in response to PwC allowing staff to take Friday afternoons off as long as they get their work done by lunchtime, I'm not sure what that has to do with working from home - do they work from home on Friday mornings?

I think the pandemic has had a number of long lasting negative effects, but I don't think the rise in working from home and flexible working is one of them. If bosses doesn't trust staff to work from home productively how can they trust them to work productively in the office - it's not like they walks from desk to desk throughout the day checking on them.

Easy for Sugar with his own office to poo poo working from home, I'm sure people having to work in workplaces with thirty other people yakking away and farting would appreciate WFH once a week. I presume Sugar doesn't have to pay thousands a year to squeeze himself into a commuter train to London twice a day either.

olliebean

Sugar's problem with people working from home is to do with him making loads of money from commercial property rental, isn't it?

Ferris

"Call me old fashioned but I will continue to believe XYZ regardless of all evidence suggesting the opposite and hopefully nobody notices my stake in maintaining the status quo".

And people call him a cunt. What is the world coming to.

Uncle TechTip

Plenty of businesses are set up to monitor worker performance through metrics and surely if there was a big productivity problem it would be noticable and they'd be hauling people back. Unless they put everyone on homeworker contracts like mine did.

jamiefairlie

Cunts like Sugar get off on the feeling of being in control of other people rather than anything useful like productivity. They'd genuinely rather have lower productivity in their businesses as long as their staff were more miserable and knew their place.

jamiefairlie

Actually that reminds me of a story my Dad told me when I bought an Amstrad computer back in the 80s. In the early 70s my Dad owned a chain of retail stores and Sugar approached him with some fucking bullshit spiel or other. My Dad listened politely and then told him that while he was sure Sugar had what it takes to be a huge success, he'd never be liked or trusted and would turn into a bitter, nasty, lonely man if he didn't change his approach to dealing with people.

SpiderChrist

Went back to the office yesterday to get my laptop fixed. Jesus H Corbyn people are so fucking annoying. There's one empire builder there who wanks on at every Zoom meeting that WFH is not as effective as being in the office, and all I noticed them doing yesterday was talking about non-work related bollocks in a loud annoying voice.

Fuck Sugar and his ilk. I hope a grand piano falls on him.

beanheadmcginty

He'd probably not be as annoyed about people WFH if his emailer phones had become the industry standard for inter-office communication.

Kankurette

I work from home, have done since before the pandemic. And I was up until half 11 last night working on a job, and I'm currently doing another one about fire safety that's due tonight, so he can fuck all the way off.

As a Jew, I thought Sugar would appreciate people being given Friday afternoons off, or at least be aware that some observant Jews do leave work early on Friday afternoon so they can prep for Shabbat (depends on the time of year, of course).

buttgammon

I know of an office where the staff could easily do 90% of the work from home but the boss called them all back into the office ages ago because he didn't like the thought of them "watching daytime TV while he paid their wages". About a week later, there was a massive Covid outbreak there that almost forced them to complete close for more than a week.

Dex Sawash

The shop redneck idiot/asshole called sick monday, home test positive. Went to Dr monday afternoon, dr said he was  negative. He came back to work today He ignores his cell phone ringing every few minutes. Finally answers this afternoon, it is his doctor with positive covid test results. The idiot says doctor didn't tell him monday he was negative, he gave him a piece of paper that said negative on it (somewhere among a lot of other words he didn't read).